Tekara

Cant fill up with Fuel

Hi All

Got a very odd problem this morning, took the C down the garage to fill it up. Tank was just about empty, got £14 odd of BT ultimate and the pump cut off, tried again immediately cut off again. Ok, so i paid for that and moved to another pump, same again start to fill cuts out. What on earth can cause this, gauge says the tanks about half full.

It's just the angle that the nozzle is in the filler neck.

Just change the angle a bit and you'll find it works. Some pumps are just a bit picky.

Im pretty certain its not the gauge, since i last filled up ive covered 269miles and it was reading in the last block before the red. After chucking £14 worth of petrol its now reading about half way so id says its about right. I'll have to try somewhere else :(

Haven't had any trouble filling up before, guess I'll have to experiment with angles next time i pass a garage. Thanks for the advice

I'm sure its to do with the garage nozzle. First time I filled my Corrado up, I had a similar problem - at an Esso. Fuel nozzle didnt feel like it went in properly, and then when I tried squeezed the nozzle lever the puup kept cutting out every few secs.....

Every other petrol station's nozzles work fine though, so I guess it was a one off.

I find that happens alot. In fact it happens just about every time I fill up the car. Like VR6 says just change the angle.

Timo.

Get this all the time. Find Shell Optimax pumps are a sod for this.

Sometimes I angle the pump 45 degrees to the right and that helps.. failing that you just have to pump the petrol really slowly. Have taken 5 minutes before to filll the car depending on how stubborn the pump is feeling!

Well at least the auto cut off worked. Was at a shell garage last night filling my 87 polo :) After a while i felt my shoe was wet and i could smell petrol. Looked down and saw a couple of quids worth of fuel all over the floor. The auto cut off had broken.

Shoes smell of petrol :(

Unless they're "proper" shoes, chuck em in the washing machine on a cool wash. They'll come out good as new.

I've got the same problem and if it happens all the time I know whats causing it altho I havn't fixed mine yet...

Look into the filler neck and there should be an anti-syphen flap (a piece of metal) - mine is missing, and it looks like its causing a blockage down the filler neck.

At the moment I just have to fill up slowly (takes about twice as long) but will look at it next year when changing the fuel pump when I reach 100k's

Well at least the auto cut off worked. Was at a shell garage last night filling my 87 polo :) After a while i felt my shoe was wet and i could smell petrol. Looked down and saw a couple of quids worth of fuel all over the floor. The auto cut off had broken.

Did you tell the garage? you should get compensation out of 'em and you shouldn't have to pay for the spilt petrol either! ;)

If their equipment is faulty, then they are likely to get done by the HSE 'cos petrol ain't something you want faulty equipment pumping! ;) :|

I've only ever had that happen once and it is do with the pumps. The woman at Shell saw me looking angry and explained it had a faulty "non-return reverse diode bias voltage flow rate inhibitor shut-off valve" :lol:

That particular station had a recent overhaul with new pumps and it's not done it since.

Unless they're "proper" shoes, chuck em in the washing machine on a cool wash. They'll come out good as new.

i thought the c had pads all round :)

It's usually caused by air locks in your tank. As the petrol goes in the air in your tank has to go somewhere. If it cannot escape (cos the nozzle's in the way) pressure buildup causes the auto cut-off to trigger. I used to have a car that was a nightmare for it.

As everyone says, if you take the nozzle out to release the air and put it back in it should be ok. I also find using the nozzle upsidedown usually cures it completely.

lol yea same thing happened last week,,, it also happened on my mk4 golf {at the same garage}the other week to, filled up fine today {at different garage} so im assumeing its there pump nozzles at that other garage..

lol yea same thing happened last week,,, it also happened on my mk4 golf {at the same garage}the other week to, filled up fine today {at different garage} so im assumeing its there pump nozzles at that other garage..

Try putting the nozzle in upside down.

i had the same problem with my old corsa, everytime i put fuel in it clicked asif to say it was full, thought it was a breather pipe that was abit doddgey as fuel would come out after a while, just have to fill car up painfullly slowly, takes about 5-10mins but get there in the end