Sign in to follow this  
Valver

My new engine - (progress pics)......update 16/05/05

that engine and engine bay looks well nice now mate,well done,hopefully ill get mine to look as nice....one day

looking very very nice mate.. will have to see it in the flesh when I get round to meeting up with you.. sorry mate, busy busy.. will bell you next wkend, Im in town....

Battery INSIDE the car?

Wow, weird. And I'm sure that's gotta be against some sort of safety regulation ... Lead acid container stored inside the passenger compartment?

Not sure about that, but I'd double check with some people if I were you.

It's a sealed gel battery, can be mounted pretty much anywhere (upside down even!) and doesn't need to be 'vented' like a traditional acid battery. I already checked. :wink:

I put my batt in the boot as well, no room in the engine bay!

The boot is not the passenger compartment. It's a sealed gel battery anyway, so no big deal.

If I could quote from the vehicle inspectorate regs I would. But I can't. Just a hunch. If you're that bothered look it up.

"If you decide to put it in the boot or car interior etc it should really be placed in an enclosed battery box that is externally vented."

Erm, guys? The VW Beetle has had the battery under the rear seat since it was first made... That's NOT in an enclosed box and isn't externally vented... :roll:

In all the time I worked on Beetles I only know of one where that was a problem... and that's 'cos someone fitted a different rear seat and the springs shorted out the battery! :| :roll: :lol:

Quite possibly. But then, a Beetle never got NCAP tested, did it! :)

The only thing seriously negative about having the battery inside the car is the prospect of an acid bath if you roll it!!

Erm, guys? The VW Beetle has had the battery under the rear seat since it was first made... That's NOT in an enclosed box and isn't externally vented... :roll:

In all the time I worked on Beetles I only know of one where that was a problem... and that's 'cos someone fitted a different rear seat and the springs shorted out the battery! :| :roll: :lol:

I know someone who was trying to get jiggy in the back of a beetle. The metal springs made contact with the battery and then the horse hair in the seat caught fire! He jumped out of the car and threw the seat off a cliff in a panic! :lol: :lol:

Met up with Dalj y'day, pics dont do the engine bay justice.. very very nice work mate..

Met up with Dalj y'day, pics dont do the engine bay justice.. very very nice work mate..

Cheers mate - good to meet up! 8)