Sign in to follow this  
Valver

My new engine - (progress pics)......update 16/05/05

Just a little progress report on my engine rebuild ready for the transplant into my Mk2 Golf.

Stripped down the 140,000 mile engine to a block, checked bores and look good, so gave it a good clean before painting it up.....

76440462.jpg

76440867.jpg

....and here it is after paint....

76440457.jpg

Some ancillaries fitted inc new water pump and metal crack pipe.....

76440444.jpg

Box full of assorted chrome brackets, bolts, nuts, washers etc..

76445544.jpg

Fully rebuilt head from StealthRacing, cams fitted along with polished lower inlet manifold....

76440439.jpg

All new chains, guides, tensioner, head gasket etc....

76440428.jpg

Polished rocker cover, alternator and thermo housing fitted...

76440415.jpg

Upper manifold trial fitted......still need to fit injector rail etc..

76441146.jpg

....just bling it!!..........

76441283.jpg

Hope you like it, it's been done over the last couple of weekends and most of the stuff was bolted together yesterday.....will keep you posted! ;)

dalj - looking good mate very nice.. do u need that pedal box still as steve will be coming up in a week or so i would think for x-mas..

Cheers for the comments guys! :mrgreen:

Daz> yep, definitely need that pedal box/shifter mech asap please......still got your rims too! :wink:

dr mat> LOL, yeh I'll have to change my username to 12valver!...

Wow.. looks nice. Can't wait to see your Golf with this beastie fitted... with a full rebuild like that its going to run as sweet as a nut! :)

Ha ha im doin a re-build as well mate and im usin the same engine stand as you, wee winner is and if i mind right its not very expensive either eh??? :lol: Guess thats how you afforded all those blingin bitties :lol:

yup, also got the same engine stand... 8) :lol:

Looking good Valver, should be a nice looking lump when it's all done... 8)

It's hard to believe that engine (especially in the last pic) is 10+ years old! As they say, "old VWs never die, they just get lower".... and shinier it seems, too!

Hmm, not being a mechanic type this might seem a stupid question, but do all engine stands fit all engines, or did you have to buy a "vw+aaa"-specific engine stand?

I imagine there's standard mounting points, at least within a particular manufacturer..?

Yes they are fairly generic. Obviously have a weight limit and come with a range of adjustments to suit different bell housing bolt locations.

ooh, actually, I've got the better 2 legged version of that engine stand! :p (can take a heavier engine just in case I ever decide to do something silly with a V8... ;) :lol: )

They're adjustable in how they mount to the engine as Kev said, although I ended up making up some more spacers for mine so that I could bolt on the flywheel while it was still on the stand so it could be locked up and get the crank shaft cambelt pulley's bolt tightened properly... (so it won't break or come loose! ;) )

Fancy trying your hand at a 1.8?

Free issue from me! :)

LOL! already have one, my current 16v, now covered 235000 miles and used daily......

enginebay2.jpg

Is that an Optima yellow top I see you have there? I thought the red tops were for starting cars and yellows for deep cycle use? Good batteries, if a little pricey!

Engine bay looks lovely and I'm sure most people think you're lying when you tell them it's done 235K!!

Is that an Optima yellow top I see you have there? I thought the red tops were for starting cars and yellows for deep cycle use? Good batteries, if a little pricey!

Engine bay looks lovely and I'm sure most people think you're lying when you tell them it's done 235K!!

Cheers Kev. Yeah, the yellows are the better ICE battery, but they've still got some serious cranking power although not quite as much as the reds. Best part is that they can be mounted any way even upside down (alledgedly) as they're sealed gel - so mine will prob be laid flat in the spare wheel well when the VR goes in..... 8)

will any engine stand take a vw one? or do u have to have a certain type?

Most will take a VW engine, but the 2 we're all on about can be found HERE 8)

I've got the slightly more expensive one with 4 wheels, while the one in the pic is the slightly cheaper one with only 3 wheels... Both will do VW engines upto (and probably beyond) the VR6, but I'm pretty sure the cheaper one would struggle with either the flat 6 porsche engine or V8 I'm thinking of messing about with so I got the more expensive one... ;) :twisted: 8)