davidwort

davidwort's 16v - looking a bit shinier

Having 2 Corrados is just greedy anyway :lol:

Says who :lol:

Did you ever recall the details about the paint David and who you bought it from, for the 8v that is?

Says who :lol:

Did you ever recall the details about the paint David and who you bought it from, for the 8v that is?

yeah, sorry, thought I'd said, Autopaints, Brighton.

Well, the 8v has gone to Kip, just waved him off with a little tear in my eye :(

bit of an end of an era, be able to focus on the 16v now though.

I take it the old daily wasn't quite what it was cracked up to be then? It certainly looked ok when advertised but we all know appearances can be deceptive. Get some pic's up of the new addition mate :thumbleft:

It was on yeah but had been messed around with interior wise and needed chucking and starting again but couldn't be bothered with changing dash etc. Was grey too and I missed my black interior of the silver one I had so when I knew David was selling it was the perfect replacement. :)

Sorry to see you've had to sell the 8v David :( glad it's gone to a very good home- easy sale, too, which is always a bonus 8)

At least you know it's gone to a good home. I've admired your 16v for years (especially back when I had mine) yet never seen it in the metal! Maybe this year? :norty:

got my work cut out on the 16v, Bumper needs stripping and painting, and I've a new drivers door to go on, I've had that car 18 years now!!!

Well, pulled my finger out and taxed and insured the 16v for the summer, bit later than I had planned but a leaky cylinder head flange held me back a couple of weeks, that and general laziness :) , anyway should get to Bruntingthorpe for the ccgb national day.

plastic head flange went really funny, it's gone oval from all the years of heating and cooling and the plastic is breaking down where it has been in contact with the coolant.

14172771684_17fa7c9e3d.jpg

image by David0011, on Flickr

14172710245_cfed9aca61.jpg

image by David0011, on Flickr

Edited by davidwort

Looks like my bumper, should do mine too really!

Incidentally how long does the paint last on the shelf, wouldn't it have separated and be less efficient after 3 years?

envious of your garage - nice painted floor and space to keep tools and workbench!

Looks like my bumper, should do mine too really!

Incidentally how long does the paint last on the shelf, wouldn't it have separated and be less efficient after 3 years?

I've no idea, but it doesn't seem to be a problem, I've used old paint before and as long as you mix it well it seems fine? This is celly basecoat, I may put a 2 pack clear over it but only because it is very hard wearing.

envious of your garage - nice painted floor and space to keep tools and workbench!

It was a major priority to get a double garage when I moved, I've now got some carpet on the floor, much nicer to lie on :) I would have even more room but the Mrs has a running machine in there now which takes up half the garage!

Looking good mate od be interested to know about the paint shelf life aswell , how did the bumper come to bits was it pretty straight forward getting the bumper irons out ? I have mine to do at weekend so curiouse

it's a PITA, the bumper iron is held in by barbed plastic tabs on the bumper cover itself and little wedges to hold the barbs out, wedges come out OK but the barbs are a pain to squeeze and push through the iron, you need lots of wedging and pliers and so on or the ones you've just released lock back in place! Be gentle too as with too much force you'll break off the tabs.

Then when all that is done even the lower grille is a bit of a pain, more plastic barbs and levering with screwdrivers, again six pairs of hands would help!

Ahh bugger well if you fancy doing another ill glady send you my adress so you can come do it all for me while i drink tea haha

well, after many weeks of faffing about I've finally prepped and painted the bumper, spent an age cutting it where my spray technique was less than perfect and painted the bumper iron and brackets to help that last a few more years, also treated it to some stainless iron-to-bracket M8 bolts/washers and some new high tensile VAG bumper/front cross-member mounting bolts

th_20140817_125912.jpg

th_20140817_125921.jpg

th_20140817_125904.jpg

th_20140817_125855.jpg

th_20140817_125834.jpg

th_20140817_125819.jpg

Yeah agree with Supercharged - that looks fantastic David, it's come out really well