davidwort

davidwort's 16v - looking a bit shinier

Yeah 8)

I'm guessing it was a bit easier to clean as it was not insitu but what did you use?

A combination of solvent paint thinnners I had left over, petrol, lots of rags and some wire brush attachments on the electric drill.

Petrol and solvent gets off the oily dirt and the wire brushes remove the alloy surface corrosion.

It started off as a quick clean to make refitting it more pleasant and I then got carried away :)

Thanks. I missed the reply originally and have just looked it up.

I wonder if DG will be happy with me using petrol etc in their workshop???

Marine clean is good stuff, if a little pricey,

try Bio washing powder/liquid, excellent for dissolving oil and grease :)

try the Daz challenge on your car parts :lol:

slowly but surely getting more bits done in the evenings, need to get this thing on the road for the winter

gearbox back on, new clutch in, ECP came up trumps, 60 quid for a sachs clutch kit (bit of trade discount in there)

Book1.pdfclutches.jpg[/attachment:1rzknw1h]

got the remains of the sheared rear subframe bolt out from the floor without damaging the thread, very careful drilling :D

not much left of it now :lol:

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfbolt-remains.jpg[/attachment:1rzknw1h]

new arb bushings, and a liberal coating of protective wax over everything

ETKA Corrado.pdfP1010350.JPG[/attachment:1rzknw1h]

a ten quid gearbox mount, trade from ECP again, wasn't expecting much but it's pretty good compared to the vag one actually

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfP1010348.JPG[/attachment:1rzknw1h]

paranoid about my forgetfulness with torquing up bolts, so everything is getting a blob of white paint when it's been done :)

Corrado92.pdfP1010355.JPG[/attachment:1rzknw1h]

P1010356.JPG[/attachment:1rzknw1h]

no, not considering lawnmower power, though it's not far off the 8v :)

also, a new gearshift relay lever, looks like VW have changed the design again, must be 4 or five different ones of these I've seen now, still rubbish design though :roll:

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfP1010354.JPG[/attachment:1rzknw1h]

standard suspension bits, nice comfy winter driving I'm hoping :)

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfsuspension.jpg[/attachment:1rzknw1h]

what a freaking tangled mess, they don't design engine bays like this anymore :lol:

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfP1010357.JPG[/attachment:1rzknw1h]

next installment will be the wishbones and I'll be nearly there

got the wishbone, suspension leg and brakes on the nearside this afternoon,

then realised the roll bar was underneath the wishbone and not on top :epicfail:

Well, she's ready for the road again, new clutch is so light, should be a pleasure to drive.

Dead chuffed with my first painting efforts, the new wing has come up far better than I had hoped, it's possibly a tiny shade darker than the original VW paint, but considering the red pigment I doubt if a body shop would have got closer. It got a couple of coats of primer, 3 of colour and 2 clear lacquer on in the end

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfP1010393.JPG[/attachment:xp0811t3]

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfP1010392.JPG[/attachment:xp0811t3]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfP1010383.JPG[/attachment:xp0811t3]

and the scabby cam cover got a repaint, car's looking half presentable now

P1010377.JPG[/attachment:xp0811t3]

now, just need to get it down to the garage to set up the tracking/alignment and get a new lambda on it.

looks the bees knees David, wish you lived round the corner from me :lol:

Wish i could paint to that level, i'd be well chuffed with that wing. Cars looking top notch, a credit to you. I've often thought about getting another rado as a daily, but its hard enough keeping one on the road, let alone two.........i take my hat off to you... :notworthy:

Wish i could paint to that level, i'd be well chuffed with that wing. Cars looking top notch, a credit to you. I've often thought about getting another rado as a daily, but its hard enough keeping one on the road, let alone two.........i take my hat off to you... :notworthy:

the painting isn't rocket science, just a bit of reading off the web and a 40 quid sealey HVLP spray gun

I used cellulose paint (easy to use) and an acrylic clear lacquer on top (that's harder than just leaving bare celly)

a big roll of plastic sheeting from Screwfix (to make my ad-hoc spray booth in my garage) and a 3m paint-spec filter mask - which is bloody good, makes a great seal on your face and filters out all the smell of thinners.

the rest is just time, flatting back between all but the last colour coat (as it's metallic) and using panel wipe fluid and tack rags to clean the panel before painting.

It's cost me a fair bit to get all the kit together, but I can now do pretty much anything and the compressor was a godsend for undoing the front suspension strut top nuts :)

more paint fun, just got this little toy from amazon for 11 quid:

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfDSC00603.JPG[/attachment:27zg3297]

for touch up work on the car it's the business!

you can get a little adapter for a couple of quid to run it off a spare tyre instead of buying cans of propellant, I just put a few PSI in the compressor tank and it comes with a 1/4" bsp connector to screw into a normal air line, bit of overkill :lol:

I had a few nasty scuff marks on the front bumper which has had a bit of filler in yesterday so I thought I'd practice with a bit of primer on there, never used one before and it's really cool, you can spray 3-50mm wide so can do the tiniest of repairs without making a mess with a normal paintbrush.

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfDSC00604.JPG[/attachment:27zg3297]

how about doing this next on the bonnet:

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfimages.jpeg[/attachment:27zg3297]

and how about this down the side:

girl.jpeg[/attachment:27zg3297]

fair play the paint looks fantastic

i can't believe how well that's come out considering you don't have an oven! - hats off to you.

bodywork is something i'd really like to learn more about someday; i've always seen it as a bit of a dark art and it doesn't help that i have friends who are amazing at it and will sort me out on the cheap!

car is looking great

:D

Few more hours spent this weekend, generally cleaning and tidying.

Sills are in great nick, credit to Karmann's build quality, couple of stone/jack damaged bits of underseal so cleaning and then fixing those up.

It's had about 4 cans of wax protective spray on it already (subframe, rad panel etc.), but the sills and arches need a really good clean first.

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfP1010403.JPG[/attachment:1vlvfyjr]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfP1010404.JPG[/attachment:1vlvfyjr]

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfP1010407.JPG[/attachment:1vlvfyjr]

Corrado92.pdfP1010397.JPG[/attachment:1vlvfyjr]

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfP1010399.JPG[/attachment:1vlvfyjr]

P1010425.JPG[/attachment:1vlvfyjr]

Great work dude... i'm astonished at the finish you achieved considering...

That is one mint sill lol, you can tell the cars not lowered! I need to check mine...

That sill is impressive.

I remember washing the seat covers from my Mk1 Polo in the washing machine, they came out great - well worth the effort.

For some reason this makes me want an 8v Rado :shrug:

worst quality picture of the month goes to...

DSC00683.JPG[/attachment:2sn079mh]

been meaning to get this fixed for ages, the join between the sill and the rear arch had rusted through on one side on the valver, dad did a very neat job of welding in a patch whilst I put out the melting flaming underseal :lol:

the drive home was a bit smoky smelling, nothing between the bottom of the sill and the inside of the car if you look inside the rear passenger trim panel and the sound insulation I put in there got a bit singed too :)

should be good for a while now anyway.

New drivers side fog and lambda fitted to the 8v and now i really can't feel my fingers!

next job, new bog to fit in the en-suite - have to do this to earn now you can do some Corrado fixing - points from Jen :) (only joking - I know you're reading the forum :lol: )

well this week started well, Jen drove the 8v into the garage wall scraping the paint off 6 inches of the new wing I painted :mad2:

still, at least I have the kit to repaint it now :roll:

well this week started well, Jen drove the 8v into the garage wall scraping the paint off 6 inches of the new wing I painted :mad2:

still, at least I have the kit to repaint it now :roll:

nightmare!

Thats gotta earn you loads of garage time!

well a few more jobs have been done on the 8v to keep it going as it's my daily driver through the winter.

I posted a separate thread about the indicator/wiper stalks and headlight switch, these have been taken apart, cleaned and a little silicone grease applied, all feel much better in operation now.

Tracking was done at home with string and then checked at the garage on the laser alignment gauges, so at least it's not scrubbing the new tyres now and handles quite nicely.

got a cheap e-bay 3rd rear brake light, for now it's stuck to the rear screen, but it's quite slim, unobtrusive and can't be seen below the trim when looking in the rear view mirror so it does for now, hopefully giving lorries a bit more visibility of me (you know how stealthy corrados seem to be to other drivers :mad2: )

I've got a list a mile long of things I keep noticing and are not urgent, sqeaky spoiler and the like. But tonight I got totally side-tracked looking for another small job and ended up wiring a red LED into the centre cubby hole.

Bought a bunch of prewired 12V LEDs from ebay (this seller)

3mm and 5mm ones and little trim caps to fit them into flat surfaces neatly, excellent seller and good little items.

One has been wired to the back of the ash tray light and is shining down into the cubby hole.

The picture I took is rubbish but you get the idea, the LED also dims just right with the dash dimmer (which is nice) got the idea from my dad's A6 which has nice little red downlighters for the dash area.

P1010818.JPG[/attachment:1a8xvtxx]

Next job is to try the smaller 3mm ones in the inner door release lever surrounds, perhaps filing the LED to diffuse the light a bit more, I like the audi touch of being able to see the handles in a soft red glow at night. :)