Sign in to follow this  
Pat_McCrotch

I've managed to balls up my chance of owning a Corrado...

Officer: No, your actually supposed to be driving at 60mph and you were travelling at 85mph.

Me: Oh...Crikey!

60? - Really? - never new that.....

Apparently so in a van without side windows. Not even our Driver knew this and he's been a Van Driver for the last 10 years! :shock:

I'm kind of fretting about what to do, I need, no, want a new car before April as I'll be heading to Germany and I don't want to go in my Polo. Been checking out A3 Sportbacks and some diesel Boras. The A3 is expensive but used values rock solid and the Bora has loads of equipment and is a diesel, but I'd loose a serious amount of money come selling time.

Frankly, I find it daft that I can insure a brand new Audi for less than a 10 year old Corrado, in which if I did have an accident, it'd probably be an immediate write-off. Insurance companies are now number 1 on my hate list, followed closely by Taxmen and Accountants...

I used to get hammered for insurance when I worked in a garage aged 20

especially when I got done doing 96mph in a fiesta pop

even the copper couldnt believe it !

does it have to be fully comp ?

and on hindsight you always pay 10% loading to have no claims protected anyway.

Chubbers

Can we clear this up? Is it true you can only do 60mph in a panel van on a motorway? I was under the impression that speed limits for a panel van were as for a car, unless towing...

You mean you don't have a copy of the highway code at home, for constant referral when in doubt about the rules of the road?? ;)

Can we clear this up? Is it true you can only do 60mph in a panel van on a motorway? I was under the impression that speed limits for a panel van were as for a car, unless towing...

Yeah this is definately true i got 3 points when caught coming into a 30 zone from a 60 zone...... I tried to argue that the sign was hidden and I needed time to slow down.

The w**nker said I was clocked at 52mph and the limit in a van is 50 in a 60 zone. He give me no more room to argue when he pull out his little chart to prove it. :mad:

Commercial vehicles all have a 60mph limit on a motorway, and 50mph on the normal roads. (in 60 zones)

Bummer dude, but I have to say white vans especially sprinters are one of the things I hate the most on motorways. Fly past me going down hill and then I have to go to the bother of overtaking going up hill. Does my nutt in!!

T.

Bummer dude, but I have to say white vans especially sprinters are one of the things I hate the most on motorways. Fly past me going down hill and then I have to go to the bother of overtaking going up hill. Does my nutt in!!

T.

Sorry mate but we all have to fund our Raddo's in someway :wink: :roll:

Just checked out the Highway Code online, and car-derived vans up to 2 tons in weight are the same as cars. Above then it's different.

As to getting a 'rado, just shop around, try brokers, limit your mileage to 3-6000 a year, and find out how your stated occupation affects your insurance (I think I recall seeing something online).

Good luck,

Tom

Just checked out the Highway Code online, and car-derived vans up to 2 tons in weight are the same as cars. Above then it's different.

As to getting a 'rado, just shop around, try brokers, limit your mileage to 3-6000 a year, and find out how your stated occupation affects your insurance (I think I recall seeing something online).

Good luck,

Tom

I do 20,000 miles a year :( Having a Corrado and a banger would be a small fortune in running costs, do you think i'm on kevhaywire's wage? :wink: :lol:

I'm 'that' close to placing a deposit on an A3 Sportback, just finalising spec and what they'll throw in for me. True, I'm on the car 'rebound' :lol: at the moment but at least i won't loose most of the money I do pour into it :) Plus free servicing and cheap parts :)

To be honest, the VR6 has always been the car I wanted anyway, as opposed to a Valver, so I may be better off waiting anyway :(

Its worth the wait mate, it'll be even more special when you finally get one. It'll be something to look forward too.

The Hub, I know where you coming from. Mines be particularly nice to me over the past months. I dont use it much at the minute so that might explain it. Doing the gearbox oil today, although I waiting for it to warm up out there. It looks bloomin' freezing at the minute. Plus I dont think I can drive yet to warm up the box (big night!!)

T.

Well, the Corrado idea is definately over for a Couple of years now, I've litterally just ordered this...

04-cupra-r3q-s.jpg

SEAT Ibiza Cupra PD TDi 160 with Cruise Control, Momo Strut Brace and Chrome Vent Rings and finished in the colour Red :D Brand spanking new and to be collected on the 25/04/05, four days before I head off to Worthersee :) Got it all in for £14450

Looking forward to the diesel torque and 52mpg 8)

Thanks to Nas at Bedford SEAT for the great price!

that Cupra is an awesome motor but I don't think the price increase over a 130 is justified. You could get a second hand 130, take it to jabba and put the Cupra intake on it and it will be easily as quick and you will save atleast 5k outlay plus all the money you will save on depreciation. I've read tests clocking the PD160 in under 7 seconds to 60! but it is also a far higher insurance group than the 130.

A van that isnt car derived and that doesnt have windows behind the driver (on the sides) hasa aspeed limit of 50 mph on 60 mph roads.

Lgvs over 7.5 ton,sorry to say is 40mph.

some of these sprinter vans have the same bhp or more bhp than some 18 tonne trucks.

its daft that a sprinter caravanette can do 60 in a 60

yet the same thing without side windows can only do 50...mental really as the 'van' is probably being driven by a professional driver,white van man or not.

just wait till we all transfer over to km/h just like the Irish.....

your 60 mph turns into 80 km/h or 50 mph EEK !

chubbbers

Nelson I do like those TDI's especially in Yellow.

I have first refusal on a VRS when its 4 year old.

hows the insurance for that ??

Roy

Well, the Corrado idea is definately over for a Couple of years now, I've litterally just ordered this...

04-cupra-r3q-s.jpg

SEAT Ibiza Cupra PD TDi 160 with Cruise Control, Momo Strut Brace and Chrome Vent Rings and finished in the colour Red :D Brand spanking new and to be collected on the 25/04/05, four days before I head off to Worthersee :) Got it all in for £14450

:cheers: Nice one! IMHO a better choice than either the Golf or A3 8) :lol:

It's not quite in the same league, but I've just bought me a Dragon Green Mk3 GTi. I go pick it up on Thursday after it's been servied and MOT'd.

04-cupra-r3q-s.jpg

Nice car, had a race with one like that the other day, damm it was quick/

£14450 on a car though :?

Nelson I thought you said you couldn't afford having a Corrado and a cheap runaround? then you go and spend 14.5k on a seat!!

Diesel is the way forward, specially with a bit of tuning. Think I might switch to the old oil burners next time.

T.

that Cupra is an awesome motor but I don't think the price increase over a 130 is justified. You could get a second hand 130, take it to jabba and put the Cupra intake on it and it will be easily as quick and you will save atleast 5k outlay plus all the money you will save on depreciation. I've read tests clocking the PD160 in under 7 seconds to 60! but it is also a far higher insurance group than the 130.

Well, I managed to haggle £1200 off the RRP price of the Cupra, plus get them to throw in an extra £100 in Accessories, so I think I worked out a good deal there. Yes, the FR would be cheaper but theres nothing whatsoever special about it and what does differentiate it makes it look rank. Yes, you can take a PD130 to 180bhp, but you can take a PD160 to 200bhp 8)

Nelson I thought you said you couldn't afford having a Corrado and a cheap runaround? then you go and spend 14.5k on a seat!!

I didn't say I couldn't afford it. I said it would be a fortune in running costs to run two cars. Basically I could only drive the one I wanted to drive for 3000 miles a year on a restricted policy and the other 17000 on an old banger. Also, consider i'd need to pay 2 sets of tax, insurance and servicing costs on them. With the Cupra I don't need to worry about paying for breakdowns or faults as its all covered under Warranty

Nice choice Nelson, i love those diesel cupras, Seat are doing a fantastic job woth there performance models, and this 160bhp cupra is the icing on the cake, 0-60 in under 7 seconds :shock:

And enough torque to rip your face off! :lol:

Good choice :D

is the 160 just a remapped 150 then? for fun it has to be better than the new A3/Golf. I'm possibly lining up a 130 for a project towards the end of the year. Thanks to depreciation the 130's can be had for under 8k now

£14450 on a car though :Confused:

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Mines going to cost that in the end :drinking: :drinking: :drinking:

Would rather have your car than a banana yellow Diesel Cupra though :D

Would rather have your car than a banaa yellow Diesel Cupra though :D

:lol: I was disappointed that he didn't go for the lime green bodywork.

Mind you, that Dax is gonna be so fast that it'll actually warp space time so you won't see it anyway.

I reckon that he'll be travelling so fast in it that he won't age, but due to the pant-wetting power he'll age prematurely and it'll all cancel out :lol: