So what did ya buy from the auction ?

Nothing this time. I was semi interested in the XKR's. I've been thinking about them for a while and it was a good chance to see a convertible next to the coupe. I quite fancied a convertible but when I saw them next to the coupe I realised it's the coupe that I wanted. They look so beautiful. Stunning in the right colour. Absolutely stunning. Unfortunately this one had a few issues like obvious new paint down one side and a door that wouldn't open from the inside or outside (a little googling showed that was't too bad an issue to fix but if the owner hadn't bothered then what else had they not bothered with?). If it had sold near the bottom of the estimate I'd have made a bid. But when one of the convertibles smashed it's estimate early in the auction I decided it wasn't worth waiting around until the end of the day when the coupe would have been up (convertible estimate was 8k to 10k and it sold for 14k). For that price I'd rather find one privately. So I went and dropped in on my mum nearby for a surprise visit instead.

It was still worth the trip to compare the looks of the convertible and coupe side by side. I also drooled quite a bit over an E34 M5. What a machine that is. Unlike the British cars everything seemed to work! Seriously tempted by one of those at some point.

Plenty to choose from

http://www.angliacarauctions.co.uk/en/classic-auctions/latest-classic-car-catalogue/saturday-7th-november/

I wanted to go but I'm stuck dog sitting, nearly a 7 hour round trip for me and similar to watch them all go through?

A 6 hour round trip for me. But I have family up there too so took the opportunity to drop in and say hello. Yes it takes all day to watch them go through (I've been once before) so it can be a long day. Also make sure you wear crap clothes and a gas mask as you stink of petrol fumes at the end. They do get some interesting cars though. There was a really nice mk2 Golf GTI 16v. As soon as I saw it I had a smile the size of Norfolk across my face. It took me right back to my youth. As I said the E34 M5 was the surprise star for me (one was a lovely midnight blue/purple with a part leather and cloth interior).

Generally speaking I wouldn't have an issue with buying a car at auction nowadays. In my youth I was terrified to buy anything outside a dealer. But long ago I realised that a small dealer adds nothing to the sale. They get a trade-in or buy from auctions like this. Then just add a mark up and sell them on. You may as well cut out the middle man and buy it here yourself. I'd prefer to buy privately from an enthusiast. If that's not possible then privately even if not an enthusiast. If that's not possible then a main dealer for newer cars. But a small dealer is the worst seller from my point of view. They don't add anything to the sale other than hassle.

I'm on a bit of a mission to make sure any car I now buy has very low, or no, depreciation. So even when I replace the family Golf I'll probably be looking at something older but higher quality that's near the bottom of its depreciation curve. It's utter madness to keep throwing thousands of pounds at depreciation every few years. Unfortunately my wife doesn't quite agree and want's "new" cars because everyone around her has them. Wheras I would far prefer something like that M5 instead of a newer family Golf GTI for similar money.

Edited by Portent

Another sort of chuftie today... it was the first time I've driven the car in months and a Mitsubishi estate car came past in the outside lane with a 20-something man leaning literally half way out of the passenger window trying to get a good look at it :)

Also had a chuftie today, sat at the traffic lights on the south circular and a white limo pulled up next to me. The driver wound down his window and he looked like something out of ZZ Top! He was super excited and said he didn't realize that there was any left on the road and it must be worth a fortune!! He also commented on how the spoiler goes up down - I didn't like to say that mine only works manually:)

Just testing the replacement new aftermarket isv (which is also useless) and a guy comes over saying what a beautiful car, with the usual "don't see many about these days". Says he always admires it when he walks past. Seemed knowledgeable about cars and new a bit about the VR6 and how he'd always wanted one. Also asked a few questions about the BMC. Apparently a guy approached a work colleague on Thursday too asking if he knew who owned it, and enquired if I'd think of selling! He's apparently gonna stop by next week to talk about it.

- No, not unless the price is too good to refuse!

Another whilst working on the drive, a elder Lady came over and asked me how long I'd owned it, said it was beautiful and that they'd had one a few years back, it was so advanced for the time. Got me thinking about how memories of good times past with cars really stick in your memory for years and years. Made me reminisce of when I was a youngster and going to Ashton Court in my Dads Capri and Opel Manta. What a great couple of cars they were and I'd love to own either one. :o

Lots of nice words at the MOT station about how good the car was. Couldn't believe how clean it was!

Not sure if a chuftie or not but a colleague made me an offer for my car at lunch after using it for work yesterday.

Apparently one of the lads in production sent him my way.

Not sure if a chuftie or not but a colleague made me an offer for my car at lunch after using it for work yesterday.

Apparently one of the lads in production sent him my way.

nice!

those brakes peeking out catch the eye I bet ;) lol

Chufties for everyone.....modern classics magazine feature

Affordable 90's coupes

Corrado comes out tops too!

Oh and a vr6 feature in evo magazine

Both members on here I believe

I have a Polish builder working on the bathroom. My wife let him into the garage yesterday to get something and he said he used to own one. When he arrived today one of the first things he said was how much he loved my car :)

A guy stopped in his pick-up (or as he would call it a 'ute') yesterday morning while i was giving the Corrado a quick blast with the pressure washer. Turns out he was from New Zealand and here on holiday, and is a VW service engineer in Wellington. Was positively drooling at seeing the car and was even more impressed (for some reason) that it was a VR6 and a manual one at that. Had a bit of a chat, a very likeable and knowledgeable guy, and the chufties were flowing left right and centre. Apparently the VW Corrado is highly thought of there....... :)

Edited by VR-Sixy

Not sure if this is a chuftie but an integra type-r pulled up next to me on m1 gave me a salute and put his foot down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few over the last couple of days. Wickes car park a guy walking past says "cool car mate" and had a brief chat about how he'd always wanted one.

A "very smart" from someone at the petrol station.

And a "not seen a Corrado in ages" from a woman at the garden centre as I parked up.

Came out of a tropical fish store to see a guy staring at the Corrado. When he realised it was my car he commented "nice car" and "love the wheels".

Edited by MZpog

Got a nod and thumbs up from a guy in a White K Reg Sierra Cosworth going through Maidstone town centre yesterday morning.

Got 3 today whilst driving up to Bristol for the weekend - incidentally it was a horrible drive with the hot weather, stuck in traffic on the M4 for an hour, no A/C, and my arse and back stuck to the seat! But I digress, got a good thumb up from a guy in a Scooby STI, another from a guy in a Renault Master or some such, and a third from a guy in a Merc SLK. Noticed plenty of admiring glances too which is always nice. Most positive response I've had during a single drive which shows they seem to be on people's radar too. :cool:

Totally agree that they're really coming on people's radar as an increasingly rare classic. I've had tonnes of chufties in the last few weeks, three in particular. The first was in traffic in Worcester at a red light when a chap came running from the kerb across a lane of stationary traffic to give me his card in case I ever wanted to sell up.

The second was a young feller who came to the door to try and sell us new windows. The wife answered and told him no thanks, after which he asked if the VR was for sale, as it's his father's dream car. Then today a chap in a Golf R pulled up alongside me at the lights in Worcester to say that he thought the car looked superb, one of the cleanest he'd seen and a gorgeous example. All this when it's hardly concourse and needs a wash! Ten years of owning Corrados and it's more of a joy with each passing year, as there are fewer and fewer around.

Was working in garage and a couple of chaps walked past and were stood at the top of driveway, could hear them saying "what is it?" "is it a delorean?" I didn't go and correct them as its a long driveway :lol:

Inevitable accusation of me owning a Scirocco the other week from a random passer by in the garage. On the upside the MoT tester offered to buy the car..

Proper Chuftie on Sunday.

So out with the 350z boys, 7 of them, I however was in the Corrado.

We went on a drive of about 1.5 hours through parts of the Cotswolds.

I was leading. I had previously been somewhat apprehensive thinking they are going to be all over the back of me - how wrong.

Their comments were brilliant - they could not believe how fast my Corrado was, in particular how it picked up speed from standstill.

We had radio's - I could not resist taunting them - ' you guys having problems keeping up' !!!

Rather backs up my statement often said - I can drive my Corrado faster than my 350z.

Think they will all look at Corrado's somewhat differently now.

Very happy. Brilliant fun

I was at a local car meet a few weeks back and got talking to a chap who was all over my car. Said it was one of the nicest he had seen in a long time. Turned out it was only Dario Franchitti four time IndyCar series champion and three times Indy 500 winner.

Wish I had recognised him at the time. Could have got a photo of him sitting in it. :-) Cool all the same!

Had a new front door fitted yesterday.. the fitter worked out what was sitting under the car cover very quickly.... loads of corrado love and respect from him...