Sign in to follow this  
AdamB

VR6 Cutting out

The engine on my VR6 has recently started cutting out occasionally, when trying to start up. When I turn the ignition it will fire up, then immediatly cut out. This can happen once, several times, or not at all. There doesn't appear to be any logical sequence of events that happen prior to it. Other then an AmD remap, throttle body, Ramair induction kit and Milltek exhuast, the car is 100% standard Storm.

get it on VAG-COM :wink: will either be the factory immobiliser playing up or perhaps a coolant temp sensor starting to fail

Mine is still doing this, well I think so because I have not driven it for about two weeks, it a bit dangerous and a right pain when it happens.

I have changed the ECU Relay, the Fuel Pump Relay, and the Blue temp sender, Plus ECU resets. The problem still persists I have also had the car on VAG COM (snap-on) with no error codes.

I will need to try some of the more expensive parts now.

How much is a MAF for a 93-K VR?

Thanks

D

Have a look through the previous topics listed above, there's LOTS of hints about things to look out for in those.

Air leaks, ISV, sensors, the works.

ISV is about £140.

mine is doing this too :(

i took it to a guy who check everything and it all seemed ok, except one of the HT leads was arcing. i think this may be the problem, but new leads are soooo expensive!

typically the car did not stall when it was it was being tested / looked at. this morning it was stall-o-rama

oh.. forgot that

how much do they go for?

thanks

D.

Try cleaning it first...thats the cheapest way. :wink:

Actually, more important than just cleaning it is to relube it afterwards, or you may find the problem is worse due to sticking. Use a good silicone oil spray and this should help the ISV. I think someone has mentioned how to pulse it through VAGCOM somewhere on the forum to check its operation.

HTH

I've found "3-in-1" metal lube with PTFE is good for this.....although bare in mind any excess lube will be sucked into the engine, so don't go too mad with it!

You can check the ISV by hooking up a couple of leads to the battery and then pulsing the ISV on and off about 20-30 times (when it's hot). If it jams open or closed during the test, there's your reason for the stall. If it doesn't jam, you need to look elsewhere for the cause of the stall.

Spray loads of carb cleaner around the engine inlets (intake boot, injectors, brake servo hoses, etc etc) when it's hot and running. A change in engine note points to the leak.

I have just got hold of some Wurth Lube type stuff with PTFE, I will give this a try.

I have a feeling that it might be somthing else though - somthing more expensive!

Don't dismiss the possibility of coil pack/leads/plug problems though. The VR at idle is barely running (emission control, eh?), and it only takes one total misfire for it to die sometimes (particularly if you're holding it on the clutch or something).

I gave the VR a service about 2.5K miles ago but I will try and change the plugs and get some new leads if I can this weekend worth a try i suppose.

I rember a friend had a similar problem with his 16V golf and it turned out to be the Dizzy. Any thoughts?

Hi guys

My last VR had exactly this fault, on Starting, the rev's would rise and immediatly fall to nothing, cutting out, sometimes several times, sometimes only once and sometimes not at all.

A new immobiliser reader coil fitted at VW completely solved the problem

lo and behold, my new VR that i picked up today, has exactly the same fault!!!! and just left me stranded outside the newsagents for the last 10 minutes before it finally decided to start, so back to VW on monday!!!

mine does this when the coolant level is low or is it my imagination !

every time it does it i top the water up and it fires up fine