Sign in to follow this  
fla

Polish for tailpipe

Chaps,

My exhaust tailpipe looks a bit dull, compared with the rest of the car. Doesnt need replacing at all and I dont fancy one of those chavtastic bolt on pipes. Any idea what to shine it up with? I've used chrome polish but without success.

Is it stainless mate?

If so, or even if not, get down to a B&Q and buy some Green or red 3M abraisive clotch (aka ScotchBrite), a cheapo can of aerosol stainles steel cleaner and a large tube of elbow grease. :wink:

We use ScotchBrite all the time in work. Puts a sort of fine grain on dirty metal.

Dont forget to apply that elbow grease in a uniform direction though, or it'll end up scoured, and looking like you went to work on it with a brillo pad.

HTH

I was thinking about this too. Would brasso be any good... got some in the cupboard.

Dunno about shining your tailpipe with it, but I've heard it's ok when you run out of gin! :gag:

Yep, its stainless, but I'll get some Autosol and give it a try, plus the Scotchbrite to get off the major crud. Funny how such an innocuous looking item can affect the appearance so much. Anyone tried Brasso then, as per Ford?

Tesco are selling Autosol tubes for £1.73 as opposed to £4.99 in Halfords.

Think they're getting rid of all stock so be quick!

jus use 800-1200 wet and dry paper softly make sure its wet with hot soapy water works fine be gentle though,, can use the polish afterwards for some bling... cheaper and less effort required.....

2p's worth :wink:

actually chaps, i've got an original VR exhaust which may be mild steel, although there's no rust on it yet leading me to think it may be stainless?

seems as if Autosol is just a chrome and aluminium polish - or so it says on the tin. I've got some good chrome polish, so is it any different? No mention of stainless steel, although as i mentioned earlier mine is the original VR tailpipe and may just be mild steel. What dya reckon lads?

It's sometimes not as easy as you'd think to tell the difference between stainless and M/S Fla.

Rule of thumb is that M/S will attract a magnet and S/S won't, but there are exceptions.

We use two grades of S/S in work: 304 (good stuff - non magnetic) and 430 (shoite stuff - magnetic)

They're both stainless, but the crap stuff *will* eventually rust if in wet conditions.

Bottom line is mate, if its non magnetic, it's defo S/S.

If it is magnetic it's either coated M/S or low quality S/S.

Nick a magnet off your fridge and have a bash!

LOL you boys! Can't a man innocently buff his pipe without it attracting innuendos?!!

Fla, I'd love to say that my pipe is enormous and admired the world over, but alas it just your average sized VR6 pipe :(

guys im unclear as to whether its possible to shine my standard G60 tail pipe? could someone shed some light please? :)

i have some Autosol, will that do the job or is it not possible to shine the tip on hte standard exhaust?

cheers,

Spykee, use some autsol on a cotton cloth and see the results. If its not much of a shine your best bet will be to buff it up with a polishing wheel to get a shine and then you can keep it shiny with autosol.