Sign in to follow this  
A20 LEE

CCGB News Letter/Sprinter

Got a letter in the post today, think the club needs some feedback with regards to Sprinter. Sad to heard Jeremy has stood down as Editor (You've done a great job, magazine was much more professional with you at the helm, wished you'd had more support). My thoughts are sprinter needs a committee to revive it not just a new editor. Anyone one else have any idea's on improvements, its in all our interests to see it return to strength? Constructive comments only,

A magazine is only as good as the articles submitted - its down to everyone whos a memebr of the CCGB to try and support the magazine - I'm just putting the finishing touches to an article.

Personally i think the sprinter is a drain on the CCGB's funds, lets face it the forum is a far better better place to recieve articles and review cars and more of them. Saddly the Forum isn't CCGB, but anyway thats my opinion. I think Jeremy did a great job, dont get me wrong, but in this day and age, does the CCGB really need a glossey mag. I'm not a member of the CCGB anymore, mainly due to the fact that i as a non uk member I felt it was of no benifit to me. I did like the sprinter but im sure the money could be better spent on a Club car or someother project, something that could be worked on and sold to keep a corrado on the road. lets face it, there are enough members and knowledge to do just that, only problems is the logistics and politics of such a move.

Personally i think the sprinter is a drain on the CCGB's funds, lets face it the forum is a far better better place to recieve articles and review cars and more of them. Saddly the Forum isn't CCGB, but anyway thats my opinion. I think Jeremy did a great job, dont get me wrong, but in this day and age, does the CCGB really need a glossey mag. I'm not a member of the CCGB anymore, mainly due to the fact that i as a non uk member I felt it was of no benifit to me. I did like the sprinter but im sure the money could be better spent on a Club car or someother project, something that could be worked on and sold to keep a corrado on the road. lets face it, there are enough members and knowledge to do just that, only problems is the logistics and politics of such a move.

Maybe sprinter doesn't need to be printed. PDF download in a members area of the website? Would free up funds to commission some articles? Don't think the mag should rely solely on the members for articles, that the current problem.

totally, but has every member got internet access
Should hope so, its 2005! :lol: How about reducing the membership cost to those who download, those that want paper copy pay an extra £5 a year?

Maybe sprinter doesn't need to be printed. PDF download in a members area of the website? Would free up funds to commission some articles? Don't think the mag should rely solely on the members of articles, that the current problem.

Good idea A20 LEE

I think most forum members who are also CCGB members get what they need and more from this forum so have no need to contribute to the Sprinter. I'm guilty of this.

If there was a forum associated with the CCGB before this forum was created the CCGB wouldn't be suffering their current problems.

okay lets not go down the forum CCGB thing all over again.

Looking for constructive ideas, not a bashing session.

okay lets not go down the forum CCGB thing all over again.

Looking for constructive ideas, not a bashing session.

exactly

I personally thing that the Sprinter is trying to be too much.

The problem is, it's done as a replacement for the newsletter and so everything in it tends to be pretty old. It also seems to have an existance purely because that's how it's always been. People don't seem to contribute, so it ends up as it does. Top marks to Jeremy for managing to put it together with what little he's had tho.

I think a CCGB project car is never going to happen, it's too hard to organise politically and logistically. It would only work if the club had a fixed premesis and regular meetings, which just doesn't happen. Plus, as I'm sure you're aware, doing up a Corrado costs a fair bit.

I think the problem with offering the magazine as download only means you feel cheated, because you pay your fee and you want something to get instead. And lets be honest, if the Sprinter is put online, even in a password protected area, then it's gonna make it's way to other people that haven't paid up and it just gets like the forum.

However, what I do think should happen is...

We get a quaterly glossy magazine of normal magazine size that is only a few pages, but has some nice pin-up size (ooh err) Corrado pics of member's cars. There are some hot-shot camera people in the club, so I'm sure if the club paid them something that they could do the photoshoots to make them worthwhile. We could run it like a proper magazine and get people to vote for a member's C they wanted to see featured.

Accompanying each magazine would be a simple newsletter letting people know the latest news/events for the quater, but it could happily just be a single side of A4.

Then, come October time, there could be an annual CCGB calendar done with the proper photographs taken for the Sprinter on nice glossy paper (see the CCC calendar for a perfect example, although I'd have liked nicer paper :D ) which could then be sold to members only, or to members at a discount.

The CF should become the online presence of the CCGB and all short-notice news, tech-tips and discusssion could be carried out here. We could also quite easily combine it with the CCGB member list so that there is an area of the forum for CCGB members only to use for CCGB events and special offers. Similarly, the CF shop could be expanded quite easily to include CCGB merchandise, of which I also think there should be more.

I like the idea of some black polo shirts with the CCGB logo stitched on the chest in white and red... :)

Well that's my 2p anyway. I'll be at the AGM to have a rant... ;)

Firstly Jeremy does reserve a round of applause for the magazine that he has produced up until this point.. I always felt that the Sprinter was a pretty professional looking magazine and was always worth a read! But I guess the pressures of running your own business, and running a family just get to be too much sometimes and something has to give.

As to where it goes from here? Problem is, as was for Jeremy, the lack of articles is still going to be a problem whichever way you look at it.. one thing they could easily do a LOT of is 'members cars' style features - how many members does the CCGB have, and how many would be proud to give a little blurb about their car, the history on it, etc?

If the magazine was to run quarterly still it'd be quite easy to catch up with members at various shows for a quick Q&A and a small photoshoot and there is at least some extra content for the mag. But I can't see the magazine continuing as it has been.. somethings going to have to change.

Whoever becomes editor / producer of the magazine this year, i'm going to try pretty hard to make sure I submit SOMETHING this year for the magazine.. whether its a show report or a rolling road day review or something! :)

Firstly, many thanks to Jeremy for producing the Sprinter, the committee of the Club for their hard work and the other members without whom there would be no Club.

[schild=11 fontcolor=000000 shadowcolor=C0C0C0 shieldshadow=1]THANK YOU![/schild]

I agree with all the points dinkus has made.

However, I also understand the difficulties in amalgamating a free forum with voluntary contributions and a Club which charges a membership fee.

Somewhere something has to change.

I would rather hear andi and the CCGB Committees' feelings on the matter before commenting further as ultimatley it is up to them.

Perhaps it is a matter for the Polls?

Surely ANDI isnt going to want to give up his site to someone else as it is him who has built it up i know i wouldnt.

Yup, what happens with CF is entirely up to Andi and I don't think there should be any pressure on him to do anything he's not comfortable with. It is afterall Andi's baby and as Danr says, he's not gonna want to just give it up.

However, if the CCGB made contributions to CF to host a CCGB only area and sell CCGB merchandise then CF still stays as Andis and the CCGB still get input.

I agree, it would be good if CF and CCGB supported each other, a bit. There could be an article in the sprinter mag, "Hot topics on the Corrado Forum" with a preview of the most popular informative topics, that would be a great advert for the forum, plus done right could be an interesting addition to the magazine. Compared to other clubs/forums i.e. club GTI, we are a minority, so why not make the most of the numbers we have got. I'd also happily see some of my CCGB membership money going towards the forum.

Couldn't agree more - I'd happily pay an increased subscription to see the CF and CCGB join forces

There is/will be a Corrado Club specific forum. Details to be announced later. (Probably at the AGM)

It will NOT interfere with the CF (which is a private site run by Andi) and it will NOT be a chat site.

Whilst I must declare my allegiance to the CCGB (as I believe it has a role not meet by the CF and I enjoy the Sprinter in paper form as I can't read a pdf file whilst stuck in traffic!), may I remind you that Andi does accept donations for the upkeep of the CF (if you feel your £15 could be better spent).

As a non-member of CCGB, Im not sure if my 2p is welcolmed, but i'll offer it anyway!

I used the information on the CCGB website before I purchased my rado, and found it helpful with spec's etc. My main concern with the CC is what would I actually get for my £15? The (very good) information on the site is already available to me as a non-member. Maybe I don't have enough knowledge as a fairly new owner and non-member to see the real benefits of joining?

Reduced insurance and service costs are offered on the site, but I already have a good deal on both. The sprinter also seems to have disappointed most members?

Group buys through CF give me the discounts I need on mods and advice here is always quick and free! Why would anyone need a seperate CCGB forum? I presume most CC members use this one?

I personally think the best way forward is a colaboration of CCGB & CF of some sort. Both have the same common interest, but offer different benefits.

I can't understand why there would be a problem with a joint venture? If this falls down to finances, then surely someone along the way has forgotten the reason both CCGB and CF were started.. The love of Karmann's finest!!

I am more than willing to invest £15 (or more!) in the CCGB and would help with event organisation/promotion etc if possible/needed, but would like to know that everyone is pushing to make the club and the CF noticed and stronger.

My intention is not to be negative, but to gain a better understanding of the future/benefits/direction of the CC. :)

Baz.

I could get seriously flamed but what the heck.

Much of the CC is embodied in Sprinter; I would argue the Corrado Club is dead anyway. Especially if The CF summer get together is a success. Printed media is so out of date.

This forum gives you:

All the info you could ever want

The least amount of Politics

Characters

Local meetings

An annual get together

Almost real time info

Pictures

Group Buys

One of the key things for me that Politics have been kept out. Thats the key to the success. Look at Vortex, you can start a new post and within 10 minutes get a bunch of idiots shouting at each other and the high and mighty shouting "use the search". As this is a free site with voluntary contributions, thats the key to it. Everyone knows its based on simple right and wrong and Andi is the boss. For me I dont like people who frequent this board and dont pay, but thats not my decision, its Andi's.

In my opinion CC has failed because its out of date and had financial issues. Remember the GTI Club? The issues surrounding Sprinter are reflective of how people have less time to do stuff like this anymore. Its not anyones fault but CC should of had a forum a long time ago.

If you want a Corrado club for Nostalgic reasons then you cant be blamed for that. However in everything you state if you substitute Corrado Forum for Corrado Club everything is possible: Calendar; T shirts and annual meets. We already get short-notice news, tech-tips and discusssion. Vortex managed to do a Calendar as a forum and so it can be done here.

So be proud to be a CF member and send Andi a few quid every now and then.

On a final note is it right for us to be talking about what Andi wants, unless he has instigated the conversation?

In my opinion CC has failed because its out of date and had financial issues. Remember the GTI Club? The issues surrounding Sprinter are reflective of how people have less time to do stuff like this anymore. Its not anyones fault but CC should of had a forum a long time ago.

I think this whole discussion is now off topic. Its was ment to be how can sprinter be revived. I'm not a CC member but am in CGTi and the mag is exellent and worth the £25 a year. The CC needs a good mag to save the club, as for a CC forum, its too late. My advice is i'll join CC if they produce a mag bi-monthly, if i want to use a forum i'll use this one. Work to your strengths CC.

CCGB != CF. Never the twain shall meet. Believe it or not there are people in this world who appreciate the quarterly Sprinter mag, who appreciate the VW dealer discounts, who do not need to chat to each other about anything and everything all day on the net and are happy to meet up occasionally and be part of an official organisation. The fact that the CCGB gives away info on their site to non-members is not relevant here. This info can be found anywhere on the net anyway, it's not exactly secret..

All due respect to Andi for the Forum, it's very useful and helpful and mostly free of politics, but All Things To All Men it is not.

The CCGB is not dead, Sprinter is not dead. You don't like it? Fine.. But there's a whole stack of people who do (and who happily pay their subs for it).

Back on-topic (Sprinter) I like the photography ideas though. Car features, bigger ones, is a nice idea. Everyone likes Corrados, and high quality photography of high quality Corrados comes pretty high on everyone's idea of a "good thing". Plus it has the nice side-benefit of providing a portfolio for a calendar or similar.

my £15 worth -

the sprinter should not be turned into the essence of the CCGB....I pay my sub because I want to keep the Corrado alive - and any self respecting cherished car owner should have the ability to join a club in order to do that. Plus I have benefitted several times with my 10-15% discount at VW, GSF and mailorder tool companies(!) as well, so well done to JrB and Im sorry I didn't send in an article but I only joined relatively recently.

I also agree with Storm...this thread and the CCGB's current dilemmas make it all the more apparent what an excellent resource we have in the CF and more credit...and donations should be forthcoming to Andi especially by regular users of the site....