Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Bacon

Attention all broken sunroof owners

I went to the scrap yard and got the a working frame from a passat for £10. Stripped and cleaned and used rather to much cooper grease. Works a treat and is very very smooth.

sorry to re-revive this thread again, but...

the mechanism on my sunroof appears to be working fine, except that when i tried to operate the slide-roof it seems to be moving independently from the headliner section... the liner just got jammed half way and it took me 25mins of jiggin' the damned thing to get it to close again!!

...oh, and in the process left a 1.5inch score-line right in the middle of the trailing edge paintwork! :mad:

has anyone had a similar problem? could it just be that whatever fastens the inner to the outer section has broken or something more serious?? ...i've got the FEAR that this is gonna mean a headlining out fix? :x

Ellecy roof works fine - but where can i get a new edging strip round it? do I have to go to main dealer? or would GSF have these ?

jazzdevil, sounds like one of the rocker arms on the mechanisim may have snapped off... tilt the roof and make sure that there's a silver rocker at the back of the mechanism on each side.... If not, you need a repair kit... :(

BLACKG60, http://www.gpcvwaudi.co.uk sells 'em at about the cheapest price.... 8)

right quick question for you sunroof experts my roof is working fine but sometimes looks like its not quite sat right in the closed position from the outside of the car then the other day i had the roof slid back an when i closed it and got out of the car noticed it had put a scratch on the roof i have not dared slide it back since incase it does more damage what do you think could be the cause of this? any help appreciated

neil

jazzdevil, sounds like one of the rocker arms on the mechanisim may have snapped off... tilt the roof and make sure that there's a silver rocker at the back of the mechanism on each side.... If not, you need a repair kit... :(

cheers mister... although having checked, the rocker arms appear to be intact... hmmm, the plot thickens?!?!?! :?:

Why is it that when i phoned the dealers and i quoted them that repair kit part number he said it's only for one side?

Is he mistaken ?

Yep i got the same answer when i phoned dane vw in chester yesterday, but i ordered it anyway as it was the same part number shown on the photo on the first page of this thread, £72 quid all in :cry: .

I've just come to start attempting this job, I have the repair kit and the copy of The Sprinter magazine which explains in detail how to do the job.

I have fallen at the first hurdle I'm sad to say, it explains how you need to remove the part of the headlining that moves with the sunroof, to do so you need the sunroof at full tilt, which is fine.

It then says that his headlining part was already disengaged and could be slid towards the back of the car to remove it, mine will not budge! I'm assuming that becuase his was already separated then it moved, anyone able to tell me how they removed theirs?

After this part is done it all seems relavitvely straighforward, however, the first part seemed straightforward, so any other tips would be much appreciado.

Cheers

You drop the main head lining - then with the roof on tilt you can just tug it backwards and it will come free.

Did mine last week!!!

Just off at a bit of a tangent, I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but Gruvenparts has an ongoing project to develop replacement billet parts for the most commonly broken areas of the Corrado sunroof mechanism. See this thread on Vortex:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2218912&page=1

I mailed Paul at Gruvenparts this morning to ask what the state of play is and he says that they've not got very far as they've been working on other stuff like the bits Kev's trialling, but it's still on the cars, though "it will be a little while".

So I guess it's watch that space. How flippin' great would that be :-)

Nice one, I was contemplating taking out the main lining but didn't want to do that incase it didn't help at all

Cheers, I'll have an attempt at it when my hangover is gone :pukeright:

all sunroof gods when i press the switch my sunroof doesnt move up down left right or backwards forwards, neither can i hear any noice from a motor or anythng?

any ideas what i am in need of?

all sunroof gods when i press the switch my sunroof doesnt move up down left right or backwards forwards, neither can i hear any noice from a motor or anythng?

any ideas what i am in need of?

A new sunroof system???

ok but this being a complete system as in wiring loom, motor, switch etc or can i run diagnostic test or is there a walk through anyone has previously made allowing me to easily take it apart and look for problems?

i am faily new to this and therfore have no idea where to start ESPECIALLY with out a beloved haynes manual!

Having removed my sunroof frame from the car tonight, I can see that one of the metal guides has sheared off (passenger side).

What do I do to remove the old ones from the frame and also the cable?

I just can't work out how to get the old one off!

The wind-flap is stuck down flat and so I am not able to see underneath it - how do you make the flap lift up? Anyone? :?

'Roof gurus...

I have what I hope is a simple problem with my sunroof.... can you help? Basically, it rocks fine, and slides back fine. However, 5 times out of 10, when I try and slide the roof closed, it does not move and I have to manually crank it. When this happens, the close button just emits a single click, and there's no action.

What can I try?

Thanks,

CC

'94 Green VR6

Got the same problem. But it still tilts, Think it might be expensive and I only got the roof working about 2 months ago. Since then we have had rain. Now its sunny its bloody busted again aaaaarrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :(

Roofs that don't move on the switch (or stop in the wrong place) are likely need a new motor, but try lubing the mechanism 1st. If you've taken the roof casette out of the car, take the roof panel off (4 spline drive bolts) and then the mechanisms just slide out the rear of the rails (having removed the plastic bung at the end (always refit this unless you want a water leak).

the f;'@ sunroof, my vw dealer is not very helpfull i need part no's for the rocker arm and sliding mech its attached to . or else get me part no's for the brain cos its wreacked trying to talk to the dealers . there's a pic of it on this thread :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: thanks peeps