Sign in to follow this  
Dacvolvo

Everyone: meet Scarlett

Can see it!

Looks like a nice clean standard 2.0 16v :) Got a little more info on mileage, history, etc? :)

Nice.. have a real soft spot for red C's - they're almost as nice as pearl grey :wink: :lol:

Am sure you'll have many happy miles of motoring together 8)

looking good...........hope you have much fun and no problems with her..........btw top-tip........keep the foggers off.........unless you want to fork out almost £150 for new ones......they crack after prolonged use

keep the foggers off.........unless you want to fork out almost £150 for new ones......they crack after prolonged use

Why dont new cars have this feature, would deture certain ..[insert word/s].. drivers who insist on using them unnecessarily.

keep the foggers off.........unless you want to fork out almost £150 for new ones......they crack after prolonged use

Holy Cow, well that's one way to stop the boy racers blinding people, I suppose.

Sorry, Scarlett - I just had to get one with my car in it... Any complaints, I'll just post a piccy of your lovely self up :wink:

VolvoVsCorrado.jpg

Seriously though, Folks - It's been a long, long time since I've been in a Corrado and what can I say? My opinion hasn't changed - they're still awesome...

hey guys... thanks for the compliments on my new Baby.... so far so good! have managed to find all the daft wee things that need fixed ie the heating!!! apart from that i am really pleased!!!

Sorry, Scarlett - I just had to get one with my car in it... Any complaints, I'll just post a piccy of your lovely self up :wink:

Not realy complaining but a pic of the owner would be good!

That must have had a respray at some point no?? colour looks stunning

Flash red always polishes up well,just needs some elbow greae to keep on top of it 8) (shades on)

Looks very clean for the age.Best of luck with it :wink:

I think that's the brightest looking red C I've seen in a while. Most of them tend to be Flash Pink by now ;) :lol:

And what doesn't work on the heating front? The dials or the hot air?

I think the dull light helps as mine used to look a lovely deep red at dusk. Looks good.

I see your wheels are needing refurbed as well. Try getting them detailed with the bit in between the spokes black. It makes a big difference. Has anyone got an original set of Estorils that are still ok?

no hot air coming out, plus there is no air at all on 1st and 2nd settings... the drive into work was fun this morn.... bbbbrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

no hot air coming out, plus there is no air at all on 1st and 2nd settings... the drive into work was fun this morn.... bbbbrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

Hmm, sounds like a good opportunity to get one of those keen Scotsmen to demonstrate their multi-jointed arm technique to replace the heater matrix :lol:

tis ok... have already got a volunteer!!!!!

dunno what to do bout the alloys tho, i like the idea of the fact she is completely original but i dont like them.....

hmmm then there is no option...you have to sell them cheap as f%^* to me!! p.s.....nice lookin raddo mate

hmmm then there is no option...you have to sell them cheap as f%^* to me!! p.s.....nice lookin raddo mate

Or buy my ones that are for sale!! :twisted:

Has anyone got an original set of Estorils that are still ok?

?? are you looking to buy estorils or sell them?? :?:

I have a set that I am probably going to put back on as soon as I sell my other wheels.

I was just referring to the fact that almost every set of Estorils wheels you see have the laquer lifting or are not in the original finish.

if you bought the car from a garage then they have by Scottish law to give you a 28day warranty......i would say that the heater being kaput is reasonable grounds for you to get them to fix it FOC......if they fail to do so......have a word with yer local consumer protection office and get them on the case asap

I dunno what the rules are oop north, but if it's the same as England they aren't obliged to cover stuff that you should have noticed when you picked it up. If you pointed it out at the time or it went bang after you bought it then they should have to cover it.

I dunno what the rules are oop north, but if it's the same as England they aren't obliged to cover stuff that you should have noticed when you picked it up. If you pointed it out at the time or it went bang after you bought it then they should have to cover it.

it is different in Scotland by the looks of it

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi- ... 3-0100.txt

"Advice leaflet

Second-hand cars - consumer rights

THE LAW - BASIC RIGHTS

When you buy goods from a trader you enter into a legally binding contract governed by the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended by the Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994 and the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002). The law gives buyer and seller rights and responsibilities and applies to the sale of second-hand vehicles just as much as to all other goods. When you buy from a motor trader you have the right to expect the car to be:

of satisfactory quality;

fit for its purpose, including any special purpose made known to the seller;

as described.

There is no exact definition of 'satisfactory quality', although the law lists some factors to be taken into account. However, when you have bought a second-hand vehicle, you must consider the age, price, mileage, description applied, and all other relevant circumstances when trying to decide whether it is of satisfactory quality. Your expectations will have to be different when you are buying a low mileage two-year-old car than when you are buying a high mileage, ten-year-old vehicle. However, the car must certainly be:

fit to be used on the road;

in a condition which reflects its age and price;

reasonably reliable.

When you buy as a consumer from a motor trader, your legal rights under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 cannot be taken away or reduced. An example of an attempt to do so is a notice such as 'sold as seen'. Such phrases are meaningless and cannot alter your rights. Any warranty or guarantee can only be given in addition to your legal rights, not instead of them. You can take legal action under the Sale of Goods Act for up to five years from the discovery of the fault but it would usually be unrealistic to consider legal action for defects on second-hand cars, especially older vehicles, once you have had them in use for a reasonable length of time. Each case is different, so it will be best to take advice before you decide what to do.

PRIVATE SALES

There are some situations where your legal rights will be reduced:-

The rule is 'let the buyer beware' when you buy from a private individual. It is up to you to find out whether the car is of satisfactory quality, to make your own checks on what you are told and to take responsibility for your choice, as the seller is not liable for the satisfactory quality of the vehicle.

You are still entitled to expect the car to be 'as described', so if the advertisement says '1992 Ford Fiesta', it should be exactly that. Remember, though, that it may be much more difficult for you to enforce your rights against a private individual.

Whether you buy privately or from a trader, you are entitled to expect the vehicle to be capable of passing an MOT test when you buy it (unless you and the seller clearly agree it is to be sold as scrap).

You can also expect the seller to have 'good title' to the vehicle. In other words, to be the owner or authorised by the owner to sell. If you buy a car later found to be stolen, you have no legal right to keep it. You will have to try to get your money back from the seller.

The Consumer Credit Act 1974 gives 'good title' to the innocent private purchaser of a car which later turns out to be subject to a claim by a finance company because of a previous unpaid hire purchase or conditional sale agreement. This means that the finance company which is claiming the money cannot usually repossess the car against your will.

AUCTIONS

When you buy from a car auction it is not considered to be a consumer sale, so your consumer rights can be drastically reduced, and usually will be.

You will be bound by the auction's written conditions which must be available to you before you buy. They may be posted on the wall or issued in a booklet or on other paperwork.

Unfair conditions may be challenged; it is best not to rely on this but to study the conditions before you take the risk of buying or selling at auction.

CREDIT

The Consumer Credit Act 1974 regulates agreements used to purchase cars on credit within certain financial limits. Your consumer rights are safeguarded and in some ways enhanced in the Act and dealing with the finance company may be an important part of resolving your complaint. When the agreement is Hire Purchase or Conditional Sale, it is the finance company which is directly responsible to you in law. It is generally not advisable to stop making payments (see Credit leaflets).

ACTION TO TAKE

If you have bought a car from a trader which turns out to be faulty or which you think has been misdescribed, you need to take action straight away.

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 and the Consumer Credit Act 1974 say that, if you can show the goods to be faulty or misdescribed, you have 'for a short time after purchase' a right to reject the goods and get a refund of the purchase price. This will include the return of a traded in vehicle if this is still available, or of the full value placed on it, if it has been disposed of.

If you have only had the vehicle for a very short time and only driven a few miles and the car has a major fault, or was seriously misdescribed, you are probably entitled to a refund.

If you decide to try to reject the car, stop using it at once and contact the seller and/or the finance company to discuss the matter and make it clear that you wish to reject. Follow up this approach with a short letter explaining the complaint briefly and confirming that you wish to reject and get your money back. Try to make an appointment to discuss the matter with someone responsible at the garage. Remember, if you wish to reject, put it in writing as soon as possible. You can accept a repair for a major fault but this won't stop you claiming a refund if the repair turns out to be unsatisfactory. It is best to make your position clear before any repair is attempted.

If the fault was present when you bought the car, you do have other remedies, even if you have left it too late to get a refund or if you want to keep the car even when you are entitled to reject it. You can ask for a repair or replacement, or a reduction in the price to allow for the fault, or you can ask for 'rescission'. Rescission is where you give the car back and get your money back - this is not quite the same as rejection, and the person who sold you the car may be able to reduce the amount they pay you back to allow for the use you have had of it, particularly if you have been using it for a while. If you ask for a repair or replacement but these are not possible (for example, if the trader does not have a similar car to give you), you can still ask for a reduction in price or rescission. Also, if you ask for a repair and it takes longer than is reasonable, or if it significantly inconveniences you (e.g. you have to have the car for your work and you cannot wait for a repair), you can still ask for a reduction or rescission. Note that if the fault develops in the first six months of you owning the car, it is up to the seller to prove it was not faulty when they sold it to you.

Remember, it is up to you to provide evidence to support your claim, so you may need a technical report, as the onus of proof is on the consumer. If you need to pay for a report which can be used in court, try to get the trader to agree beforehand that the expert's report can be used as a basis for negotiations. We advise writing to the trader to suggest that this so you can show you have tried, but you should not let failure of the trader to agree or respond prevent you from getting an expert report when you need one.

Remember that only a court can make a final decision about what you are entitled to and order the trader to pay. Only you, the purchaser, can take legal action under the Sale of Goods Act and Consumer Credit Act against the seller or Finance Company.

Some points to note about accepting a repair:

If the repair will take a long time, you may also be able to claim compensation. For example, you may be able to claim for the cost of hiring a car; the trader may, of course, offer a loan car.

If the repair adds to the value of the car, the trader could have a case for asking you to make a contribution.

If the car cannot be economically or properly repaired, you will be able to claim the other remedies described above or compensation, but this may not be the full cost of the car as all the circumstances have to be taken into account in arriving at a figure for 'reasonable compensation'.

You may choose to use your rights under any warranty you were given with the car if you wish but, if you do, you must comply with all the terms of the warranty. Remember that you do not have to rely on the warranty; you can use your legal rights instead.

When you go to the garage to discuss your complaint, you may see the salesperson first. Take all the paperwork, and be prepared to be patient, clear and firm, and take someone with you if possible. You may have to go through the complaint several times, and you may need to speak to someone more senior if the matter cannot be resolved. Make it clear which of the remedies described above you want from the trader. If you are entitled to a refund and this is what you want, insist on having one. However, most car faults can be repaired and, in most cases of genuine faults, the trader will offer a repair. Give the trader a reasonable opportunity to repair the faults and try to get exact details of what the diagnosis is and what is to be done. Get this in writing if you can.

The repair should solve the matter but, if not, you should write a letter to the trader. Keep a copy yourself and send a copy to Head Office, if there is one. Send a copy with a covering note to the Finance Company, if there is one. It may be best to use recorded delivery.

At this stage, you and the trader should discuss in more detail why the repair has failed and agree an acceptable course of action. You may need to get a second opinion or a good technical report so that you are in a stronger position. At this stage, or when a second attempt has been made to repair, you may want to discuss a replacement. Keep the Finance Company involved. If the trader offers something but it is not what you want, don't be rushed into a decision. Take time to think about the offer. You can accept or negotiate for a better offer, but you should consider it carefully and be reasonable. Only you can decide what to do. Once again, keep the Finance Company fully involved if there is one.

As a last resort, if negotiations break down and you believe you have a valid claim, you may need to consider taking court action. You should write and tell the trader and/or finance company what you intend to do. You should be able to get a full set of leaflets explaining the procedure from the Sheriff Court.

If you have to have repairs carried out elsewhere, you should make sure the seller knows you are going to do so beforehand, to give him an opportunity to resolve the matter. You should ask the repairer to write you a report on what he found wrong with the car and provide full written details of the work carried out and the cost. It is best to keep all defective parts which have been replaced. You can then sue the seller/finance company for the cost of repair, secure in the knowledge that you have proof of what was done and how much it cost. You still need to prove that on 'the balance of probabilities' you were sold a car which was not 'of satisfactory quality'.

Remember - Second-hand cars may have some faults, but they should not be excessive.

It is no use considering suing a trader who is insolvent, or who you can't find.

You have to prove your case.

Only a court can order a trader to sort out your problem.

Points to note:

Mileage

If you are buying from a dealer, look to see if there is a disclaimer saying the mileage is not guaranteed and so cannot be relied on. It should be "bold, precise and compelling". If there is no disclaimer, the trader is saying that the mileage is correct and you can rely on it. It then becomes part of the contract and of the description of the vehicle. It can be difficult to prove a car has been 'clocked', so the golden rule is to walk away if you are not satisfied with what you are told. Checks on cars can be made via companies such as HPI and the AA, for a fee.

MOTs

An MOT certificate simply confirms that the vehicle passed the test on the day it was submitted. It only covers the specific tests required and does not provide any guarantee of the general quality of the car. The Department of Transport enforces the law relating to these tests.

Insurance Claims and Accident and Repair Records

There is no law requiring traders to inform purchasers that cars have been subject to insurance claims or have been 'written off' by insurance companies. Traders have no legal obligation to tell purchasers about past repair work. If you ask the trader about these matters, he must answer truthfully or tell you if he doesn't know, and it is wise to write down the answers to these questions and make checks of your own before purchase. Prospective purchasers should study registration and service documents before deciding to buy. Prevention is better than cure, but if you have written answers from the seller and you find out later that they are wrong, you may have a legal case for misrepresentation and/or a breach of contract.

Warranties

Think carefully before you pay extra for a breakdown warranty. Study the conditions first and don't be rushed. They are not always a good buy, or may not be suitable in your circumstances. Remember - you have your legal rights anyway.

Good Garage Schemes

Some Trading Standards Services operate 'Good Garage Schemes' for vehicle sales and/or servicing and repairs. You may wish to contact your local Advice Office for a list of current members.

A61

Copyright 2005 itsa Ltd on behalf of the Trading Standards Institute

Last reviewed/updated: September 2003

This leaflet is relevant for the following nation(s) only:

Scotland "