Sign in to follow this  
Owen

Convert Me To a Corrado

Hi guys- i'm after some Corrado stats- basically i've been offered a 1.8 H plater which is mint all bar a overheating issue (not really an issue, but still )

What i want to know is- what kind of performance i can expect from it? Obviously i expect to be slightly dissapointed in terms of what i'm driving now (170bhp Cav), but after having had Golf Gti's a few years back, i've always had a soft spot for VW and Corrados in general.

So what can i expect?? What do i look for? easiest way to squeeze power from the 1.8 lump.

Any info appreciated ;)

stock performance is 138ish BHP, and valvers always perform better at high revs (basically thrash the bo**ocks off it!) They're not a sluggish as people think, though obviously they're no match for a vr or g60. tuning wise its a bit of a minefield. You cant get an induction kit for them, the best you can do is a panel filter and drilled airbox with a cold air feed. In terms of what you can do to the engine dont expect mega tuning potential without turboing it! Theres a forum member called 'Flusted' whos got his valver running at just over 160bhp, which is the most I can recall seeing without spending a fortune. Theres a few fairly simple mods, and plenty of threads covering them if you use the search.

I think dispite having less power you'll enjoy the corrado more than your cav, its just got 'something' about it that makes it a bit special!

138ish BHP

More than i was expecting :D

I know how VW's in general drive and the Corrado just looks sooo damn cool-

bit of a downer on the tuning potential- but still - worth a shout me thinks.

What about serving costs/parts??

Obviously theres G&S, but how are the dealers and supplying stuff at a nice price- i get trade at vaux, so really don't fancy getting raped on service parts lmao

Basically the same mods that you'd apply to a Mk2 16v will work on a Corrado.

A local lad has his valver pushing out 170BHP at the flywheel with just headwork and cams done.

original VW parts can be expensive if they're corrado specific, but the beauty of the valver is that as Mike said, they're basically a mk2 16v with bits of passat thrown in for good measure which means pretty much any mechanic is going to know their way around the engine and the parts are pretty reasonable. Servicing isnt too bad, my last 2 cost me about £120. the better the car you buy obviously the better the servicing is going to be. as well as G&S you've got 'euro car parts' who are pretty good.

170bhp Cavalier (2.5 V6 or modded GSI 2000?) or 1.8 Corrado....it's a no brainer!

I drove a Cav V6 recently and it's a wallowy whale and not particularly quick either.

Get the Corrado...even though it has less power, it's far far more entertaining than any Cavalier....

they dont really drive like most vw's though even though they are based on golf and passat bits they have a unique feel to them. comfortable yet sporty and chuckable

the easiest way to convert you would be take a look at the galleries on here 8)

they can be costly to maintain but not as costly as the g60 or vr6 as the chargers cost a lot to repalce if they go bang and need to be overhauled every 60k to stop them going bang and the vr's lump can cost a lot to repair as well

but if they are well maintained they are very rewarding

Theres always going to be other cars that are faster so if speed is your main concern then you maybe dissapointed.

But if you want a modern classic has style, solid build quality, trick rear spoiler, menacing looks and is distinctive from most other cars than only buy a corrado!

170bhp Cavalier (2.5 V6 or modded GSI 2000?) or 1.8 Corrado....it's a no brainer!

I drove a Cav V6 recently and it's a wallowy whale and not particularly quick either.

Get the Corrado...even though it has less power, it's far far more entertaining than any Cavalier....

lmao @ above

It's a Gsi- and all bar throttle bodies and cams, theres not much else left to be done to then engine - it's a lot more potent than it sounds (151lb/ft) ;) good for twice the speed limit and some more for good measure.

Only reason i'm considering changing it is i fancy a change (had 14 cars in 3 years) - and ever since getting blown away by a Storm :D:D several years ago, always wanted one

they dont really drive like most vw's though even though they are based on golf and passat bits they have a unique feel to them. comfortable yet sporty and chuckable

the easiest way to convert you would be take a look at the galleries on here 8)

they can be costly to maintain but not as costly as the g60 or vr6 as the chargers cost a lot to repalce if they go bang and need to be overhauled every 60k to stop them going bang and the vr's lump can cost a lot to repair as well

but if they are well maintained they are very rewarding

one i'm looking at is FSH AFAIK

speed isn't my prime concern- but it's nice to know its there if you know what i mean- and as for build quality- i know its no contest. ;)

will wait and see what the man comes back to me with me thinks ;)

I looked at Cav GSI's before I bought my rado & never looked back!!

Corrados are cool cars, I found it cheaper to run that my old FORD!!!

Thank God you have the GSI, they're actually not bad.....the V6 is nasty!!

decent suspension and the V6 changes completely

same with the GSI's to be honest- nice set of firm springs and shocks, strut brace and it changed the car completely :D

It's a Gsi- and all bar throttle bodies and cams, theres not much else left to be done to then engine - it's a lot more potent than it sounds (151lb/ft) good for twice the speed limit and some more for good measure.

Only 151Ib/ft, my 16v has almost 152Ib/ft :wink:

It's a Gsi- and all bar throttle bodies and cams, theres not much else left to be done to then engine - it's a lot more potent than it sounds (151lb/ft) good for twice the speed limit and some more for good measure.

Only 151Ib/ft, my 16v has almost 152Ib/ft :wink:

1.8?? or 2.0??

Mines a 2.0, but flusted mentioned on here earlier has a 1.8, and I think his produces 136Ib/ft.

If you want more power you are better off with a G60 or VR6. A 16v will still be a lot of fun though.

Owen, the valvers aren't as slow as they're made out to be, and they're basically more reliable that the G60 and the VR6 (says the man who's just replaced his cyl head :-) ). Once you stir them to life above 4K they shift, and the handling is superb.

With regard to tuning, on a 1.8 valver, I'm running 2 exhaust cams and a ss exhaust, and that gives 150bhp at the fly. If you were to port, polish etc then you can get more (but not much). Maintainence can be pricey where body panels are concerned, but mechanically as has been mentioned, you can get most bits from MK2 Gtis.

Good luck,

Tom