Jim

The "what I did to my Corrado today" thread...

Took the clocks out of the VR again to change the other bulb for the MFA/clock this time.

Sorted my heater cables, now fully functioning heater outlet rotary knob for the first time since I owned the car!

Replaced some of the clips on the passenger rear quarter panel, changed the sidelight bulb and removed the bit of paper from the drivers side headlight (part no sticker had fallen off) Decided the CD multichanger is broken, it is over 10 years old so did pretty well really.

Decided to have a go at the headlight detailing mod today (that Riley posted the How To up for some time ago) so tootled down to Homebase for some hammerite, but fell at the first hurdle.. driver side headlight was fine to remove but passenger side, both of the screws holding the headlight in are so knackered and corroded they just rounded off the crosshead when I went to undo them. Superb. I could get them off but have no replacements to hold the headlight on so.. for now this jobs on hold! :|

ordered passat rear door handles, chrome interior door handles and a door repair kit to replace parts on mine as I am going to take the door cards off next week to clean them anyways

erm done it about 400 miles to santa pod and back got some spare rear light front fogs etc so cleaned it when i got home and put rear brace on

Nearly sold it. I think I'm going to be stuck with this car forever. :|

Oh, and fixing the bloody window that decided to fall out of the holder thingy :mad:

*goes to make for sale thread whilst stropping*

Bought some plain black car seat covers from Tesco's for £4.97 in a (vain?) attempt to stop the drivers side bolster from wearing all the way through as the cloth is very thin.

(yesterday) oil change, replaced oil filter, fitted clear repeaters, FK badgeless grille, BMC CDA, carpet mats instead of horrible rubber ones, changed gear pattern from gearknob with torn leather to one with good leather, cleaned and fed gaitor and steering wheel, diagnosed oil leak, diagnosed misfire. With a lot of help!

Decided it was time for a real deap clean of the entire car - shocked at how dirty it really is after I started work.

Going to be a long job but determined to do it properly.

Started to use Chemical Guys Diamond Cut 2000 on all paintwork so I know I'm starting with a decent base.

After 3 hours I'd done the bonnet, passenger side and both front door shuts and tailgate shut - even going to the trouble of taking out the lights to make sure that as much as possible is cleaned.

My Zaino treatment is turning up early May so want to have it ready by then.

Made new plastic doors seals (the ones behind the door card).

replaced window switches.

replaced heater fan.

rewired about 50% of the engine bay.

prepped and sprayed new rear badge and front grille.

Fitted new brake pipes all round (originals still attached...), blimey that was a real job.

Now to tackle the engine.......

(Yesterday)

Firstly, I did a Full service including oil (Morris Fully Synthetic 10W50), oil filter, fuel filter, air filter and G40 Spark plugs.

Secodly, I replaced the Charger oil feed pipe, new banjo bolts and washers

Thirdly, I did the boost return mod (What a mad noise this makes, but i miss the whistle that the charger used to make, so may put it back to standard!)

Finally, I fixed my passenger door handle (Cheers Dave 16V)

just fitted new clear side repeaters! :)

simplest mod anyone will ever do but very happy about the difference it makes, stops the car from looking nearly so dated. smoked rears are next..

also ordered lots of new screws/bolts etc for the front of the engine bay/slam panel.. trying to get it looking a bit smarter!

Had a blowout on the M6 yesterday ... quite a brown trouser moment! Trying to get from the outside lane to the hard shoulder on a busy motorway with very little control of your car isn't a pleasant experience (luckily it was the drivers side front, could have been much worse if it was one of the rears) ... it's amazing what bar stewards some people are like for letting you in even when your hazards are on! :censored:

Coincidentally there was a lady broken down just in front of where I pulled up whose car had been smoking and thought something had come off her engine, not sure what it was though as my eyes were on the sat nav when I ran over something and heard an almighty bang. Must have been quite large though as there is a slice in the sidewall of my tyre about an inch long and a large dent in the wheel rim.

Anyway, today I borrowed one of my mates bbs ra's that was sat in his garage (anything is better than the space saver!) and have stuck that on till I can find some nice lightweight 17's with decent caliper clearance.

Made my sunroof waterproof once more! Took delivery of a second hand one earlier in the week, tested it, and because I couldn't be that bothered due to mishaps when fixing mine a few weeks earlier, I just took all the mechanisms out of it, cleaned it and regreased it and swapped the lids over. It's all in and working fine now, tomorrow the headlining finally goes back in, it's going to be great with no morning dew dripping onto my back and air rushing in through the front of the roof as it's not flush with the body. The lifters were broken on the old one which was a nightmare.

Also fitted a new head unit last weekend, the easiest head unit fit I've ever done, unplug & plug the new one in, so I now have the ability to put 10 mp3 cds in my changer!

Tomorrow I are also be trying to correct the toe angle on the driver's wheel, I previously replaced an inner cv boot & completely forgot to note the positioning of the adjustable parts, therefore the handling is now shocking and I hang on for dear life to stay on the road!

today i fitted a new (beru) coil pack (115 from gsf) and leads ( beru also)as i was suffering a nasty intermittent misfire. i got all the info i needed off this forum and happilly went about replacing both items with minimal fuss.

on examining the old coil pack it had several cracks and was damp. turns out there is a leak coming from the aux electric water pump which has been getting into the coil obviously!

now interestingly...... the coil pack and leads both had VAG markings on them, could they have been in there since new??? the motor has done 110k now! the leads are black and i thought the original leads were red??

anyway, cured the misfire and after reading some of the threads i might have a crack at changing the pump next weekend. (i used a piece of speedtape to prevent the water getting into my shiny new coilpack!!!)

peace word up

Good one today. Fitted single gas strut on the bonnet so no more dodgy bonnet holder and I can get to the engine easier...

Also put some plain bulbs in the speedo cluster so I can see the needles. I took the old ones out and threw them when i fitted the ddi dails and speed at night has been a bit of guesswork. Not to mention the need to make sure I have plenty of fuel in :oops:

Still loads to do though...

Re-fitted the oil catch tank, checked fluids, pootled down to hellfrauds for some shampoo then gave her a quick wash. Saw a nice mk1 Caddy on teledials outside Halfords in Chester.

Replaced a dodgy old fuel pipe and mine, and for the first time in ages I didn't get that nice whiff of petrol this morning. Yay.

Also put my boost return pipe back one cos I'm an old man, and don't like the thin film of oil in my engine bay.