Jim

The "what I did to my Corrado today" thread...

Cleaned it and put it up for sale!

^^ :( not by choice then?

Mines been in the repair shop today. Sadly VW were unable to supply a new MAF sensor plug (female connectors have bad corrosion) the one they sent my mechanic was a slightly wrong fit, so I'll head down to the locally recommended VW breaker in the hope of recycling the part tomorrow. In the mean time she's overnighting as she has a faulty ABS sensor corroded to her. I'll be picking her up in the morning after she's been though this > > >

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79046[/ATTACH]

That sucks Mark, hopefully one day you can get another one but needs must as the devil drives :(

I've been playing with mine today, took off the auto gear-selector cover and fitted a new bulb (the old one was missing) found the little green bulb cover hiding under the selector "bit". Then I pulled out the twisted gaiter strip and found it was broken. I attempted to fix and reinforce it with black vinyl but the stuff I bought was crap and wouldn't stick so I used some of my daughters fancy duct tape (temporary measure that saved me a forth trip out today) slider woks perfectly now and it looks so much tidier. Not a fan of the pink, despite being a girl, so I'll change it for black/leather/get a new one. My next step for tomorrow is to make a new number strip. I have some ideas how to do this and let's face it, it can't look much worse.

At least I have gear lights now.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79072[/ATTACH]

Edit: More done to this. It's hopefully temporary so by no means perfect the letters are too big for a start, but the old strip was ugly, brittle & caught on everything so until I can source a replacement cover this will have to do. The letters are actually purple. If I can change the bulb for a blue one it'll look better. The goal is OEM, just hope a good one comes along :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79091[/ATTACH]

Incase anyone ever comes across this in a search: I straightened the gaiter with a hot iron between newspaper then allowed it to cool flat under a heavy book. This took out all the kinks. The Selector illumination is a 286 bulb. The fuse governing this is 16 (ABS light/spoiler/glovebox light)

Edited by DPS

Decided to tackle the lumpy tickover and flatspots/misfire issue.

Took off the inlet elbow and MAF. Cleaned the MAF with IPA, greased the seals and re-installed. New jubilee clips on the intake elbow for the rocker breather (was getting the odd drip of oil every few days dripping onto exhaust manifold) and ISV connection.

Once started up, I could hear an intermitent ticking. As it was starting get dark, once I was eyeballing around trying to find the ticking, I could see that the short ht lead on the top bank (cylinder 5?) was arcing across to the metal gasket on the exhaust manifold (couple of sparks every second or two). Not sure why it would arc to there rather than through the spark plug though. Tried a spare lead and that was doing the same. Bent the lip of the gasket away from the lead and the arcing stopped. Anyway, everything is super smooth now. Idles lovely, and no flat spots and misfires anymore :)

Sold my rado!!! :'( sad day but it had to be done. Gone to a good home, (haarkon) and hopefully he'll continue to post on here.

Cleaned up the microswitch, the gascable,. and went over the pressure tubes to secure no loss of G-force ;)

Cheers,

Redfox.

blackslcchild that looks nice mate....

took of my well dirty k/n filter with no feed and put in the bmc replacement, didn't have enough space to direct connect the cold air feed down to ground so used the tubing to redirect air into that area instead

hoping its as effective

Stripped down some 288mm front calipers and MK4 rear calipers, painted them and put some new seal kits in. Ready to fit at the weekend hopefully. Also re-did the stereo wiring that someone botched before and bolted the steering column solid to remove the play in it.

Finally got her working and back on the road after a year and a half SORN!

Need to fix the little bits and bobs to get her perfect but for now I can enjoy the VR6 for what it is! Bloody awesome!

Tightened my handbrake up as it's been rolling away for weeks lol. Fitted new ecu relay (what a difference!!) and sent my wheels to the powder coaters. Can't wait to get them back.

Bit off a polish. New rear vw badge / corrado script and vr6 badge in chrome on the rear. Before you ask they were bought In the late 90's from the dealer.

Tightened my handbrake up as it's been rolling away for weeks lol. Fitted new ecu relay (what a difference!!) and sent my wheels to the powder coaters. Can't wait to get them back.

Wat did a new ecu relay do to make a difference ?

Washed it, dried it, took it for a drive where it developed an ABS fault while stood in the carpark outside KFC.

Hoping it's just water on the sensors and it'll be gone tomorrow.

Hoping to get the wheels aligned and tracked tomorrow, don't plan to have to get her fault-read too :)

Edited by DPS

Wat did a new ecu relay do to make a difference ?

If being getting the occasional rough running concern when up to temp and it would hunt with the isv plugged in. New ecu relay cured it :)

Got the wheels aligned today, they were way out so now I finally have a straight steering wheel :dance: she handles so much better, I can't believe it took me six months to pay £42 for something that makes such a difference!

The ABS error from Thursday night seems to have cleared (or gone back to being very intermittent) I haven't seen it since the alignment... Well, you never know :shrug:

ETA - she was also given lots of Corrado-love by the guy who did the alignment. He had some history with Roccos and Rados and is running a Mk2 G with a C's VR6 engine :)

Edited by DPS

I fixed my sunroof, I fixed my sunroof, la la la!!!!!

Now I can drive for the first time in 5 months with no wires hanging down, an interior light and best of all with an open sunroof :)

Been on my hols for 2 weeks in Croatia loved it , came back and started my car up after being stood for this time, it was not firing but turning over ok, it then fired up only to smell a strong smell of petrol, found to be a loose clip on the main feed pipe had strangely come loose whilst parked on my drive way, and was spraying fuel all over the under side of the car and onto the drive way.

All sorted now.

Edited by Ray1965

Not quite today, but... put the Storm back on the road and got it MoT'd - only fault was a split drive-shaft gaiter. Bought a bonnet to replace the one that some bastid jumped on a couple of years ago leaving a terminal dent in it. Sorted out an appointment for a quote for a respray from the local paint-shop. Drove lots with the window down and sun-roof open and listened to the exhaust bouncing off dry-stone walls.

Oh, and actually today, replaced the antenna with a new one, gasket thing to go on later, pulled out the blower motor and replaced the thermal fuse using a soldering iron and a heat sink, also lubed up the motor shaft so it spins more freely. Now back in the car and heater blower runs on all four speeds.

Pondered whether the mild steering wheel flutter is because my tyres have flat-spotted while the car was SORNed and standing for 18 months. Bugger :-/

But great to back driving the 'rado again. Forgotten how absolutely freakin' brilliant it is :smug:

Edited by Mystic Rado

Not today but yesterday......

Replaced the HT leads and did a little mod with the crank breather :)

image_zps0d76a994.jpg