Jim

The "what I did to my Corrado today" thread...

Thanks swiftkid & hisnibs. I picked it up from the bodyshop today

b519d9aba8aa38ab838467c7d962dfb8.jpg

bed3e7c8a532582cb530ac764a53e6cd.jpg

Unfortunately on getting it home I noticed this

5ca6d25bb4cb263b5a52896525c64383.jpg

f6c917b817942fa42e77d84b832b90e2.jpg

The early bonnet I had ordered and had delivered to the bodyshop from VW Heritage is wrong. They sent a late spec one!!

To say I'm not happy is an understatement. Have spoken to them today and they are looking into it.

Does anyone know if I can get away with a late bonnet? Would rather an early one but if I don't get any joy out of heritage I may have to live with it for a while :-(

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Looks great! You'll have no issues with a later bonnet. The only reason it was bought in was to accommodate the VR lump, so you'll just have a touch more room on top. If you're trying to maintain originality though and if Heritage did in fact send the wrong one, its surely up to them to put it right and get a correct one painted for you. Good luck with sorting it mate.

Thanks for that sean82, wasn't sure if it would fit with lights etc. I would prefer to stay with originality, so hopefully heritage will sort it out. Even if they send me a free bonnet and I sell the later one. Been quoted £200 by bodyshop to spray another bonnet, so not end of world if I sell this one.

Replaced the triple fuse holders (for something more robust) on the uprated headlamp loom as they had rusted to ****. Main beams and 1 headlamp had stopped working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for that sean82, wasn't sure if it would fit with lights etc. I would prefer to stay with originality, so hopefully heritage will sort it out. Even if they send me a free bonnet and I sell the later one. Been quoted £200 by bodyshop to spray another bonnet, so not end of world if I sell this one.

Is this the bonnet they advertised on here recently ? I looked at it quickly and thought it was a late one but advertised as early.. was meant to say something but totally forgot. Hope you get it sorted. Car looks fantastic.

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?95999-1989-1991-Vw-Corrado-Bonnet-GENUINE-VWHeritage&highlight=Bonnet

Do they only spray red cars ? One of your pictures on the previous page has only red cars in it.

Edited by delfinis38

[ATTACH]85150[/ATTACH]Fitted the correct plug into the seat cable. A small pleasure but never should it come loose again. ..

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I see what you mean all red cars lol

No, it wasn't the bonnet listed on here, it was a brand new one they list on their site. It seems they don't do the early one any more at VW classics and list the late one to cover from 88-96. Looks like I will have to keep the late one. Not so bad it's growing on me, just a shame it won't be original and I bet I will get told that a lot at shows :-)

Just check wing gap and Headlight/grill gap, it's quite noticeable sometimes as they don't quite fit perfect but should be ok.

I'd definitely be wanting some discount as it's not what you wanted, personally I prefer the late bonnet but that wasn't what you ordered and as you say, isn't original.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

[ATTACH]85168[/ATTACH]

Wired in and fitted the alarm led into the blank next to the heated window. Must make sure the switch is the correct way when I put it in.

Anyone know which is the correct way up for the symbol. Blank to the left or the right?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Yesterday... gave the car to my friendly local mechanic who works out of the light industrial estate behind our house along with front right and rear right ABS sensors in the hope that fitting them will stop the ABS warning light staying on so it can be MOT'd next Tuesday. Them's the codes that came up along with a voltage supply thing that I think was down to a flat battery a few months back.

Fingers crossed that sorts it.

Yesterday... gave the car to my friendly local mechanic who works out of the light industrial estate behind our house along with front right and rear right ABS sensors in the hope that fitting them will stop the ABS warning light staying on so it can be MOT'd next Tuesday. Them's the codes that came up along with a voltage supply thing that I think was down to a flat battery a few months back.

Fingers crossed that sorts it.

I had to replace a rear ABS sensor for the last MOT too. I was getting an "implausible signal" error which was odd actually, but it *was* resolved by replacing the sensor.

Of course there can be mechanical issues with the abs rotor or the fitment of the sensor too, but the after market sensors don't cost too much so frankly if you're paying someone to do this work then you may as well chuck anew sensor in while the disassemble and check everything else at the same time.

Car back yesterday after a night chilling out in the mechanic's workshop. Changing the sensors fixed it - fully functioning ABS, warning light comes on at start-up then goes out and stays out. The voltage supply error was cleared and didn't come back so probably down to the flat battery.

Plan for today is to fit a CTEK Battery Sense thing. Connects across your battery terminals and Bluetooths to a smartphone app so you can monitor battery voltage and get an automatic warming if it drops below a certain level and either charge it up or go for a drive.

This thing: http://www.ctek.com/gb/en/chargers/CTX%20BATTERY%20SENSE

Also got the screen on my Mk2 GTi swapped after copping a massive stone-chip on the M1 near Leicester. Proper old school technology, screen pops out under pressure, new one goes back in with original rubber seal and some cord to locate the rubber. No bonding, no sealant, no flappy external windscreen trim. The Autoglass guy thought it might have been the original screen, which would explain why it was looking a little tired.

Bodywork was totally mint under the seal, no rust or nasties. Result!

Change the suspension out for bilstein b8 & st 40mm lowering springs all top mounts nuts bots bump stop all new glad to get rid of the cheep coilovers new docs & pads tomorrow &a a good clean [ATTACH]85298[/ATTACH][ATTACH]85299[/ATTACH][ATTACH]85300[/ATTACH][ATTACH]85301[/ATTACH] time for a [ATTACH]85302[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plan for today is to fit a CTEK Battery Sense thing. Connects across your battery terminals and Bluetooths to a smartphone app so you can monitor battery voltage and get an automatic warming if it drops below a certain level and either charge it up or go for a drive.

This thing: http://www.ctek.com/gb/en/chargers/CTX%20BATTERY%20SENSE

Now that is a cool gadget. Now if I can find a way to poll it without having to use the smartphone app and log the data back to my PC I can do something useful with it..

Had my first trip on a recovery truck in 7 years of Corrado ownership. Not a bad innings, but I suppose has to happen sometime. Radiator hose burst out the top of the radiator, pulled the metal screw sockets out of the plastic housing, coolant everywhere. Fortunately only doing 20 and was able to pull in as soon as I saw steam so shouldn't be any lasting damage I don't think.

Didn't notice it overheat before the pipe connection went, so I guess just a defect in the radiator. Was a GSF one, but it's lasted 5 years or so not sure why it decided to give out now.

A brief trip to the garage for Senor Corrado on Monday. New heater matrix fitted and now up and running perfectly. No more nasty greasy film

on the glass. Just over 300 sovs, but worth it. Got him back yesterday afternoon. Happy bunny here.

A brief trip to the garage for Senor Corrado on Monday. New heater matrix fitted and now up and running perfectly. No more nasty greasy film

on the glass. Just over 300 sovs, but worth it. Got him back yesterday afternoon. Happy bunny here.

winner :)

"brief" and "heater matrix" rarely used in the same sentence..
That's true enough, but in this case I was rather

surprised myself. In at 0900 Monday 13th Feb, home by 4.30pm Tuesday 14th Feb.

not on mine but the matrix guide i have has been flying out on here & on fb the last couple of days
i believe there's a few out there that need doing at the moment. Hope they get it sorted, there's nothing worse!