Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Thoughts on Polo GTI's..?

It was an SXi too, it had "sports" seats and poopy spoiler on the back and everything.

It could almost have pulled the skin off a rice pudding.

Jim, I still think a nice 3 door MK4 1.8T is your best bet mate.

Pros - Common therefore cheap to maintain, economical, almost too cheap and easy to boost, nice ride, comfortable, quiet, well made, roomy, good image, nice looking (in black especially) etc etc.

Cons - Err, common!

Polo

Pros - Small, nippy, agile and err can't think of anything else, economical.

Cons - Small, feminine image, shopping car.

That's my recommendation anyway and if you buy a sodding Polo, you'll have your stripes stripped off and booted off the forum. Then I'll send my mate Alan round to issue some rough justice :D

I rate the Polo GTI having owned one for the past year. The idea was to have a more practical run about then the VR's. The thing about the GTI is that it is like a go-kart and you have to drive it as that :twisted: I find myself speeding (on private roads :wink: ) when I would be observing the speed limit in the Corrado. The GTI is pretty exclusive and I see more Corrados on the road than Polo GTI's, so the residuals should be strong :) On the down side though they are fragile, common faults are corroding BBS split rims, clutch problems, weak pedal boxes which are replaced under recall, cam belt tensioner failure and you have to remove the front bumper just to change the side lights. On balance stick with the Corrado or buy both for completely different driving experiences. :wink:

Jim, as Kev pointed out, think they're defo a woman's car :?

Saw a black one today (driven by a woman) and it looked quite nice. However, think they're pricey for what they are and I seem to remember they did very badly in the latest Top Gear Survey.

If you want a car of that sort of size, why not try an Ibiza Cupra 2.0 16v (or even and 8v)- nice in black?. Or a Golf GTI. Or a Civic VTI. Or an Accord Type-V if you want something slightly bigger.

Just go and look at/drive as many different cars as you can. Something you wouldn't normally go for might really surprise you.

Jim, as Kev pointed out, think they're defo a woman's car

Sorry to blow the theory. Check my sig and the UK Polo forum to see how many males own Polos. I remember Tor Gear placing the Corrado in the hairdresser bracket in their first reviews of the C many years ago!

I remember Tor Gear placing the Corrado in the hairdresser bracket in their first reviews of the C many years ago!

Ah yeah but that was just the G60s, they soon changed their mind when the VRs came out ;) :lol:

*dons flame-proof suit...

.. having had two, and having enjoyed them both, I think i'm over them for now :)

... get yerself a VR6 Jim :wink: then you'll have had one of each, and could truly say if you're over the C or not...

too fast, police, crash your worried about those things, are you having a baby Jim? thems the words of an expectant father! get an astra estate nice and nippy very economical on a sunday!!

are you having a baby Jim? thems the words of an expectant father

thats true actually....very young to be settling down aren't you?

jim, after having two 1.8's and 2 vr's i was like you thought i had it out of my system and was tired of spending in excess of 200 quid a month on bits that kept on breaking, falling off, so like you sold up and went out and bought a mk4 gti non turbo, very nice very ecconomical (40+) and had all the creature comforts, that was in oct 04 by the end of jan 05 i had sold it and bought a mk2 which i have replaced most of everything on so far and i still love it (should'nt it's cost me a small fortune) but i have to agree with kev's comment about deppreciation ect... maybe not a corrado or a mk2 but a nice mk3 anniversary, new cars unless your talking big bucks are not worth all the fuss if you were serious about saving money surely you would be dead set on a mk4 diesel :D just what happend to me tho, does'nt mean i'm right, just like owning lot's of cars i spose, god i miss my vr !!!!!

are you having a baby Jim? thems the words of an expectant father

thats true actually....very young to be settling down aren't you?

Heh.. nothing like that mate!

I am however trying to move out of my parents house around August time and get a place of my own.. I want a car that is less likely (i'll never say never, because no car is perfect) to break down and leave me with surprise bills, something that many of us know that the Corrado is quite capable of doing.

I like Corrado's too much to buy one, and then just run it into the ground.. i'd have to keep on top of the repairs and maintainence and i'd be right back to square one!

I'm still not missing my Corrado as yet so.. I dunno.. i'll wait till I have a new car before I can decide i'm over it properly ;)

Wife and i had a look at the Polo GTI as a replacement for her mk 4 Polo 1.6 CL. We found one at a local VW garage and took it out for a spin. I really liked the way it looked (nice body kit and wheels) and it came well spec'd with standard aircon. Have to say that i was really dissappointed by the drive though. It felt absolutely gutless. The 1.6 16v had very little torque and even at high revs it felt slow. Our mk2 Golf GTI 8v felt considerably quicker. Have to say the engine suits the Lupo GTI much better. We ended up buying a Mk4 1.8t Golf GTI which we have been very pleased with (ok it rolls like a jelly on the bends). We use it as our family car (5 dr) and it suits that very well - very good on the motorway.

As a small individual car the Polo GTI is nice but don't expect a true GTI.

Matt

'95 Classic Green Corrado VR6

'90 Royal Blue Golf GTI 8v

'01 Indigo Blue Golf 1.8t GTI

Thanks.. but I guess I can close this now as I bought a Golf anyway ;)