Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Bacon

VR6 fuel pump question

I've recently noticed my pump is getting really noisy, especially when the tank is low and there is no fuel to absorb the noise. It's a kind of constant and loudish whine. Only does it when the engine is hot though.

I've spoken to one or two folks about it already and the general consensus is that mileage and age aren't relevant, if it's dying, it's dying and the only way to be sure is to run the engine up to full revs on the dyno and see if the pump sustains 4 bar across the range.

Stealth will be doing this in August.

I replace the fuel filter a month ago, so it's not straining agains that and the injectors are OK, I think!

I just need to know if anyone else with a VR6 can hear their fuel pump at all? If not, then I'll get Vince to get a pump in for me.

Cheers

Kev

Good, that's all I need to know. It's definitely on it's way out then. Thanks.

It's annoying as I've had loads VWs over a 13 year driving career and never have replaced a pump. Also annoying is the fact the car has only done 78K. First time for everything I guess!

Cheers

Kev

One of my VRs needed a new fuel pump @120k miles.

The other one is still going strong @160k miles.

Anything that pump the pump under additional load will cause it to wear out sooner as you say (including running out of petrol, which I managed twice in the the 120k miles car). Sometimes they just wear out though.

I can hear my VR's fuel pump too.. The garage said it was "a bit loud", but I've no indication it's dying just yet... 112k miles, btw..

As a general guideline any injection pump that becomes significantly more audible is as a rule not long for this life. Unfortunately this typically is all the warning you get. In my experience this "noisy" condition can be a protracted affair or an instant death rattle. My thought on this matter is to replace the item before faced with a long walk in the rain!

I've put my ear on the rear cover plate and I can hear it groaning and grinding, so it's not happy. G&S do the pump for £89+VAT, so it's not particularly expensive. I'll replace it as a matter of course. Thanks for the replies chaps.

Kev

don't think i've ever heard mine being noisy......but then again since i've owned it,the least fuel its had in it would be about a gallon and then only after being on a long trip........every week i fuel mine up when the tank gets to approx half-full....or is that half-empty :?

I was always under the impression that if the pump is noisey it was giving good preasure? Fair enough, if it is making other strange noises.

Kev, why dont you try and get an uprated fuel pump, especially if your not 100 % sure on your injectors and uprate them too. Im sure new injectors would feel btter alone that the ones in your car. i.e. smoother power etc.

I will investigate fuel pumps, or if uyou can help me out on good pumps that would be cool.

Rams, the VR6 only needs 3.5 to 4 bar, which the standard one gives, so anything more would produce and over-rich mixture and the engine will run badly.

Noisy pumps don't always mean bad news but it's generally a sign of vane and motor commutator wear. In-tank pumps rely on the fuel as lubrication and cooling, so it only takes running the pump dry a few times to start wearing it out. I wonder if the previous owner did that??

I shall see what happens when we do a pressure test at Stealth in August!

Cheers

Kev

Another thing you can try to reduce the vibration in the car is to relieve the tension from the engine mounts. Undo each mount's top bolt. Run the engine for a few seconds and then retighten the bolts.

Kev