Sign in to follow this  
dazzyvr6

timing chains :(

hello everybody,not been around much been real busy with work etc..and decided to take my car off the road to give it some much needed tlc,so im now driving around in a pug 405 diesel estate :lol: ,today i decided to check the timing chains and found this

car005.jpg

looks like ill be doing a full engine rebuild,but cant find anywhere that sells oversize pistons,will be taking it to a 3.0,not sure what else ill be doing,not in any rush to do it either..anyone got any good links to where i can get decent engine tuning parts from,pref in the uk

they are deep but not worn through,the top part by the rivets is missing or is it meant to be like that?

Well it's not a1, perfection, but on mine the chain was scoring grooves into the sides of the rivets...

If you're looking for suppliers for all the bits, give Stealth Racing a call. I think they have sources, and they'll probably be able to order them for you.

Im thinking of doing this soon, having a look that is! Can someone confirm to a complete muppet exactly what is wrong in the picture?

Dazzy, was there any rattling from the engine for you to decide to do this? Take a look at my old tensioner that I've attached, this is what yours looks like at present. My rivets had disappeared along with the piece of friction pad that is usually just above them for a get together down in the sump.

3.0 requires some J&E forged pistons from the states at a cost of £700+Shipping. Stealth advise that forged pistons in the VR accelerate wear and cause excessive oil consumption.

Mahle (OE) do some 2.9 overbore pistons for the VR which takes the capacity to a true 2.9 (2897cc) as opposed to a 2.8 and a bit that it is now (2861cc). The other option is to take a 2.8 Golf lump out to 2.9 and use your 2.9 pistons with new rings. Or new 2.9 pistons if yours are shot.

As a guide for the cost, Stealth's price is £2300 for a bottom end build, fitted. Quite a large sum but 6 pistons, 12 big end caps, 14 main bearing caps, 6 gudgeon pins, etc etc all adds up..... and the VR block is not the nicest to reface either apparently.

I'd be looking at a 24V conversion personally..... updates the car whilst retaining VR6 character.

Kev I take it you mean R32 ? A while ago I saw a thread on here somewhere that suggested that you could get a recon engine less ancillaries for just a tad under 2K.. Can't remember the supplier though. Or whether it was just b'sh#t. Probably a 2.8 also.

R32 for the 24V install? Yeah, or a V64Motion engine would be better value. I'd personally wait for the novelty of the R32 to wear off before getting an engine. People are just asking stupid money for them at the moment. A nice 2.8 24V can be had for about £1K.

Not sure on recon prices for the 2.9....I just go buy Stealth's prices as I know they don't cut any corners with cheap parts etc and they're labour rates are average for the industry.

Plus Stealth know the VR inside out and have done various engine transplants quite a lot, so I'd imagine they'll be able to do it quite a bit quicker than most garages.

its on 109k now,it was a bit rattly but not that bad,i took it off the road so i can do some work to it,ive neglected it a bit lately,im in no major rush to get it back on the road,the car actually had the head taken off at 89k to have the valve stem seals so they must of put the old tensioner back on :roll:

I have a sneeky feeling that my car could cost me a lot of money if I do all the jobs that seem to be needing to be done... or I could ignore all these threads and wait for her to grind to a halt!!

With 112K miles how do I know if she needs a new timing chain and how much is a reasonable price for a non VW garage to do it?

I don't hear any rattle but then again I wouldn't really know if she has one or not!!! :)

You need to get the manifold and rocker cover takeb off to get to the state that is shown in the picture on page 1, this shows the state of the upper tensioner...

Some go at 100k some go alot further than that so I wouldn't worry too much! - Sounds like you need a good service and inspection at somewhere like Stealth to put your mind at rest.

Guys I have a question here, there are the parts below that I intend to replace on my VR6 next Month just to be on the safe side!

Parts Needed for Engine Maintainence

021 109 513 Slide Rail

021 109 469 Slide Rail

068 198 171 Oil Seal

021 109 465B Lower Chain

021 109 503A Duplex Chain

021 109 467 Lower Tensioner

021 109 509E Chain Tensioner Rail MK3 Golf Part

021 109 507B Chain Tensioner Bolt MK3 Golf Part

N 013 8271 Seal for Bolt

Question

021 109 503A Duplex Chain is used in the Corrado, and Duplex Chain 021 109 503D is used in the later MK3 Golf along with the later type tensioner.

Should I be using the newer chain since I am opting for the later type tensioner???

I am a little concern about this one.....