Sign in to follow this  
wcrado

1.8 16v-more power please

recently bought a '91 'rado 1.8 16v, and like everybody else who drives, i would like more power. so far, i've fitted a 50mm inlet manifold, and drilled the crap out of the airbox and given it a direct cold air feed which works well with the k&n panel filter. however, i'm gonna have some cash to spend soon, approx £800, and am considering what would be the best way to spend this, keeping in mind i'd like to buy something which makes a big difference to performance. so far, i've thought about either fitting a 2.0 bottom end(sourced from a breakers) a milltek 4-branch and full system, or fast road camshafts. there must be loads of you out there who have modded these engines, and even fitted these upgrades, so please advise me on how best to spend my bucks! if you've fitted a milltek and didn't gain bugger all please tell me before i waste my cash! i've also thought about a ported and gas flowed head, but for some reason i'm not keen on that. remember i can only afford to do one major mod, as i said £800 is about all i can afford. cheers

most mods need to be done together to get the best out of them,polish/ported head and shrick cams could give u a 25bhp maybe more with your 50mm inlet manifold but cost u more than 800 quid

and Beeftech too, he's just dyno'd his at 168bhp. Gas flowed head, 4 branch, schrick cams and a good tuning IIRC...

I was runnin 2 exhaust cams and a 4branch and made 162bhp,since then ive now fitted the 50mm inlet,gasflowed head and vsam.

My advice to you would be to steer clear of aftermarket cams,and probaly get a 2l,with 1800 cams and a 4branch fitted.Should be in your budget.Would also suggest a rolling road as stealth racing got the most outta my set up,couldnt of got such good figures without them

Please don't take this as an insult as I mean this as genuine advice.

If you are already wishing your valver was more powerful, why do you not sell the car and ad the extra £800 and get a G60 or a VR?

I can understand people who have done a lot to their cars and then decide they want more power, but as you have not had it long would you not be better off just selling it and getting one with more potential?

Fair enough some people like the 16v engine and thats cool, but a very nicely tuned 16v is still only putting out low G60 power figures. Just a thought.

Cheers

Jay

He's only 24 and if he's not got any bonus, he'd need all that £800 to insure a VR6! Besides, most VR6s around the £3500 mark (assuming that's what he can get together with selling the valver) will prob need the same again spending on them to make them as good a complete car as tidy valver.....

just my 2p...

I also found the insurance for all 4 pot C's very similar. Only the VR causes a massive hike in premium.

I agree with flusted's comments. Mine is a 2.0 16v, I tried Schrick 268/276 cams cams and it was pretty hopeless to be honest, although others have got around 200 bhp with them! Mine makes 162 bhp with 1800 spec cams (The exhaust cam is the same on 1.8 or 2.0 engines).

I put new injectors in mine, which livened things up a little too.

Throttle bodies could be an option but you’d need to be fitting them yourself to get under the £800 mark.

Yeah I came up with around £1500 for diy throttle bodies when I was considering it. I'm sure that could easily move nearer to £2000 as the project progressed.

I have a gasket ported exhaust manifold with a full miltek system and JMR's custom front pipe. Already got a K&N panel filter fitted but thats it and the difference in low rev torque was really noticeable above the standard system.

I can recommend this as you will feel the difference if you get it done. Can't give you any dyno figures as I am doing a 16VG60 fit but get in touch with John Mitchell - he is 16vg60 on this forum.

I am doing a 16VG60 fit but get in touch with John Mitchell - he is 16vg60 on this forum.

What kind of money would be the avg 16G60 conversion be? (stage 2 or 3 charger) Not talking 4 motion or anything.

Carbs are another alternative as in e-bay link by Baz2004. Should be cheaper than throttle body injection setup. Although likely to be more hassle and less economical from a fuel consumption point of view.

People do get good power running k-jet though.

g60 a 16v is pricey, very... its better the other way round for sure, i recently decided there is no cheap way to get big power from a valver. as with phil, i agree with flusted.. he certainly seems to have used the most sensible approach to valver tuning. if it works out that i cant afford the engine swap, i shall doing something similar to flusted myself.

oh yeah, and his engine bay looks classicly hardcore too.. i prefer the look to a newer lump.. i think they're all ugly!

Have had mine done recently...168Bhp from a 1.8 with a lovely torque curve to boot, My sig is what i have had done, not spent huge amounts!

Cams: Bargain on Egay

Head: Only really expensive bit

4 Branch: Bargain from a Big Donkey that Phat Knows!

50mm Inlet: Free from my garage :)

Kershaws in York really worked wonders with it, They are geniuses when it comes to K-Jet!!! Can't recommend them enough!

Here is the link with my dyno plot:

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24396

Good init :)

beeftech - did you gasflow that head yourself? also, did it benefit from a rebuild?

ta

beeftech - did you gasflow that head yourself? also, did it benefit from a rebuild?

ta

No was done by Northallerton Engineering in Northallerton. Fully rebuilt with new valve guides etc etc......

That is why it was the most expensive part.....think was just over £400!!!

That's not too bad considering! I'd spec'd £300 so far on head parts alone, without the flowing. If it's going to be that sort of money for someone else to do it, I might as well... Also, get some come back that way too. :D

NOS?,a second hand NOS system shouldn't cost too much seeing as there 500 euro new...(instant 25/50 ponies..).