Sign in to follow this  
Walesy

Rear lights

Has anyone tinted just the orange/top part of the rear lights? if not has anyone seen it done??....got any pics if so?.....cheers.

Red or black? New Mod :p Phil K and I tinted the top halfs of our lights red (he's not fitted his though) - if you do a search there's a wealth of info on how to do it! If you can't be arsed to trawl through all the results, PM me and if I'm feeling generous I'll write back with instructions... ;)

no...sorry....yeah i dig the red ones...but has anyone done the top black?....leaving just the bottom ones red....

well i spose i do......if they are black on the top....and red on the bottom.......then maybe i could mean the black/red in pro's....

Here's how they look top tinted black... not so keen on them myself - all reds are better IMO! If you do tint them (red or black) make sure you thoroughly clean the lens of all grease (some people sand down the markings too) and spray in a dust free environment. Give them very light coats (until desired tint is acheived) and allow them to dry before applying the next... finally give them a coat of lacquer to give them a factory looking shine (don't cut or polish the lacquer for 2 weeks after spraying) 8)

Hope that helps

Lucky sod.... a lot of American cars have red tails anyway, so you can get away with it. English cars MUST have amber tails :( Well, the light that is emitted needs to be amber at least.

I sprayed mine a shade weaker than yours and got pulled by the fuzz....and got told to wipe it off :x

eh?.....is that why you dont see any around with full tinted rear lights or full red ones?

Yeah, i got pulled in my old xr3i (i'm not a chav....honest!!). I have tinted the tops of mine but masked off a small square for the reverse lights...

gradeAfailure and myself did ours and striped the indicators when spraying to leave thin orange lines. After this we took the masking off and gave them a further couple of coats. with white bulbs they do flash red but if you paint the bulb green they do flash orange. Don't ask me how or why this happens as I don't have a clue - I've studied photography and know a lot about filtration but this is beyond me :lol:

Phil, how thin did you make the stripes? Seems like a good idea.....could you see the stripes at all after the 2 extra coats?

Cheers

Tom

The stripes were done about 1mm wide and I used Halfords 'go faster stripes' - thin black vinyl tape the lines are virtually undetectable - which is also helped by the lacquer...

I'm yet to fit them on mine as I have the FK's aswell - so will prob end up just selling them!

This is how the taillights looks on my brothers car, geuss what type of engine he has. :D

VR? 16V? :lol: