Sign in to follow this  
Steve16v

Fitting Gauges

Hi all,

I have bought a set of Audi 80 VDO Gauges (oil temp, pressure & battery) like the ones shown below for my 1990 C

[align=center]c5_2.JPG[/align]

Long story short, only have the car a few weeks and the intermittent oil pressure light and buzzer has scared the sh*t out of me a couple of times. I am changing the 2bar sender tonight but mainly cos there was oil flowing from the spade connector the other night :wink:

Basically I have seen in a few threads on the forum that people have fitted thes Gauges and was hoping that somebody would be able to give me a how-to for this slight mod and also tell me what else I will need, i.e. do I need a 2 pole sender or do I need two of the original senders fitted to the oil cooler via a t-piece , I am not a mechanic or an electrician, but I do know my way around a pair of snips and a set of screwdrivers

Any help would be great, cheers

I am changing the 2bar sender tonight but mainly cos there was oil flowing from the spade connector the other night :wink:

Yep, those senders are sh*te. Mine did the same, peeing out oil much to the neighbour's disgust. Trouble is, I've replaced it with a GSF knock off that does nothing but beep at me. Go for the VAG part, peace of mind and well... PEACE!

Humm... its a GSF one I'm after getting :( ah well sure I'm probably gonna have to change the sender anyway to get a signal back to the gauge

Ah who knows, maybe you'll have more success than me. :D I think you do have to change the sender for the presure though...

you will need a two pole sender for the oil pressure, cant remember if you do for the oil temp or not.

i had exactly the same gauge panel to start with, and filed it down to fit the center console, then hacked all the gubbins out from the center consol that had anything to do with the ashtray and lighter.... finished pic in my gallery thread.

gaugepod.jpg

gaugepod2.jpg

andycowuk, that looks superb, like that a lot :D

Steve16v, fancy selling those gauges :lol:

Andy, that looks spot on mate, how long did that take you, i've been thinking of doing the same kinda thing

Andy, that looks spot on mate, how long did that take you, i've been thinking of doing the same kinda thing

Thanks guys. Its really not the ideal place for them to be (except for that top one where the switch blanck went) but 3 gauges there are a damn site more useful to me than an ashtray and ciggy lighter! Even if u put them in the sereo position its a bit far down imho.

Tokk me a 2 or 3 evenings iirc.... did it last year so cant really remember.

where is the best place to get these guages from?

ebay is the obvious? what about scrap dealers?

what kind of cars can you pinch some from

Lippy

yea ide love to do this mod aswell .. is there any tips or instructions for wireing mabey someone whos has done this mod could post some instructions with a few pics to make it look easy :lol:

holy resurrected thread Batman!

I have just bought these beauts of ebay (see pic)

I have a number of questions about fitting which hopefully people will be able to help me with..........

1) The surround of the gauges doesn't fit the Corrado dash, so I assume some trimming is required to make them flush. What tools did you use? Would it be better to make a new front piece, what materials would be suitable.

2) I havent removed the dash console yet, so I am not sure what to expect. How much modding of the console is required if:

a) I fit the gauge panel where the ashtray is currently located.

b) I move the stereo to the ashtray position and have the gauge panel in the normal stereo location

3) From the pic, I assume most of the wiring loom is included. What wires need to be run from the engine bay to connect to the loom. Are the connectors on the end of the loom compatible with the Corrado stuff?

Any more information highly appreciated, I will bring the unit to Tatton park if anyone can give me any advice that would be great!!

Cheers

Lippy

I've just got a set of these as well and will be fitting them soon however i've already fitted a set of them to a mk2 GTI so....

1. No idea.....yet!

2. Ditto!

3. Well the single bulb on its own isnt needed as that goes to the ashtray in the audi. You also won't need the relay. Basically each gauge will need an earth (you can group them) and a switched live (group the oil pressure and temperature but keep the voltage seperate-Shouldn't make a difference though) You then need a illumination feed for each one, that way they will dim in the same way as the dash lights.

I doubt if the connectors will fit, but it really is easy.

Have you got the pressure sender? Have you decided how to get the additional temperature signal? T-piece or lose the MFA function?

I also have a MK2 guide on .pdf that I wrote if thats any good to you (identifies colours and which bits of the loom you need-Ignore the rest as its about fittng them to an 8v)

Let me know if you want it

Adam

Ad2408, cheers for the reply. I have a to do list a mile long and was hoping I can get this done ASAP.

A PDF file would be wicked, give me some idea of wiring etc. As for the sender, my MFA (oil temp) isnt working at the moment anyway so I figure I need a new one. Initially I think I will go with the oil temp on the new gauage, however I would like to fit an A/F meter and then rely on the MFA for the temp. I cant afford the A/F meter yet so that can wait.

Keep me updated and I will do likewise, I will take pictures etc as I go as I was hoping to add something to the KB.

You going to Tatton park on Sunday, not a million miles away from the midlands?

Cheers

Lippy

Just make sure you get the right pressure sender. i.e. 5 bar for a 5 bar gauge and 10bar for 10 bar gauge etc.. I normally make a loom up for them. I take a ignition positive from the fan switch (black yellow I think) and take positive for the illumination from the heater control light (blue grey I think) well that’s the easiest way for the lazy.

Should be going to Tatton park, I'm driving a tank at 2pm tommorrow (don't ask!) but should be able to meet at Tatton Park on Sunday if you want PM me?

Adam

hi just done mine last week can any one help with what sender etcc i need do i need a t bar help they were off a 95 audi coupe

This thread is up again.

I have an Audi 80 set of gauges plus panel n loom. When fitting the gauges to the ashtray area did you guys use the rear of the panel ie. The metal chasis that the gauges sit in. If not how did ya attach the plastic front panel to the C's front?

I have got the plastic fasia to fit the C perfectly so just waiting on a reply.

Cheers all.

I had to trim the plastic down to fit in,then cut away all the remaining plastic were the ashtray was ,i used the metal support bracket with the gauge as well and cut this down to suit,once it fitted in then i made up a securing plate either side and one at the bottom for support.

Its fiddly,take your time and it will pay off.

Cheers for the fast reply. I did look at the metal work and thought it would be good to use. I'll make a start on cutting it down. The plastic in the Ashtray area is a bugger to work with. Yours looks well nice very factory.

I presume by your name you have Nitrous in yer C? So do I just not yet wired up. It was so badly wired that I ripped it all out when I got the car. All the wires were twisted together and wrapped in masking tape :roll: Where did you get yours wired up or did ya do it yourself? That is if you have it.

Mine has a 10Lb bottle wet system with purge and a fogger nozzle fitted with 100 shot jets.