Sign in to follow this  
corradophil

Polyurethane or VAG Rear suspension bushes???

The only way to be sure is to try them unfortunately!

They're not horrendously bad, well, the 100 shure bugpack ones are, but under certain conditions and road surfaces, there was a lot more vibration and noise than I'd have liked.

it's all a personal thing as you say....

When I came to change my rear bushes which were shot to hell after 14 years of service I was advised to go for VAG ones on JMR's recommendation. This was because they deform in such a way that allows the Corrado's rear suspension to do its passive-rear-wheel-steer thing. I believe this contributes to the nice feel and good "handling" characteristics that are associated with the 'Rado.

Not long ago I had to replace the front bushes. Hoewever, these bushes were poly items (of unknown make) and had so much slop in them that the mechanic who fitted them went out of their way to tell me how cr@p they were! I'm sure that not all poly bushes are like this but the standard ones I replaced them with feel much better. I think that wheel size and suspension set up makes more difference to handling feel than bushes anyway.

I think I am going to go for OEM. The part numbers on GSF and Euro's sites are identical for Mk2 Golf/Jetta & Corrado. This means either Mk2 Golfs and Jettas also have passive rear steering, which I am under the impression is not the case, or Corrados with these bushes (16v or G60) do not. I have not checked VAG part numbers yet, which would definately answer this question.

If the VAG part numbers are different, then I will be tempted to buy from VW, otherwise I will probably get them from Euro.

I have a VAG part number for Corrado rear bushes - 191 501 541, just got to ring them up and get the mk2 equivalent.

Just spoken to VW dealers and got a part number for rear bushes for a 1990 MK2 Golf GTI. It is 191 501 541, exactly the same as the Corrado ones. So, do MK2 Golfs have passive rear steering, which the Corrado is so famous for, or do Corrado 16v/G60s have MK2 Golf spec bushes without passive rear steering?

Maybe the passive rear steering is only on VR6 Corrados which have different bushes.

I am going to get OEM bushes from Euro or GSF.

Well my rear bushes were poor with bits of rubber dropping off and hanging down so the difference with the poly's were total and as kev says, it's individual taste, i'm fine with the poly's and not aware of noticeable noise transmission into the car, i don't sit in the back anyway! :lol:

Chris

The Mk2s also had the passive rear steer, (maybe even the Mk3s as well) but it only seems to have gained reputation on the Corrado...

The Mk2s also had the passive rear steer, (maybe even the Mk3s as well) but it only seems to have gained reputation on the Corrado...

That must be the case, funny how it is only ever mentioned on Corrados though.

I thought that the Corrado had a combination of Passat and Golf suspension designs? Obviously there is a great risk that I'm talking complete rubbish.

It does indeed. Half is Mk2 Passat, half is Mk2 Golf. Which half is which depends on what model you've got tho :)

MK4s have the same bushes aswell!

The only thing that makes the Corrado handle better, subjectively speaking, than a Golf is the more aggressive front and rear camber and lower centre of gravity (except in Dinkus' case).....

The bushes, whilst they do work, and the rear spoiler are marketing horse dung.....

it does the same amount as that crappy thing on the back of TTs does... bearing in mind that Audi spent a sh!t load of money recalling TTs and fitting that little spoiler, it makes you think that the little one on the Corrado may be there for more than pose value doesn't it... ;)

Its's where the rear suspension bushes compress under hard cornering and angle the wheels ever-so-slightly so as to aid cornering ability...

I thought you lot all had my rear suspension and the MK2 Golf front - but that the VR's was different...?

on an advertising poster i have for the 1992 corrado titled "the 1992 volkswagen corrado keep up with the porsches not with the joneses"

it mentions that the corrado has a low drag coefficient of just 0.32 and that the spoiler reduces end lift by as much as 64%.

sounds like marketing BS to me

a mate of mine and his girlfriend both have mk2 golfs the same age, he has a 16v and she has an 8v, his 16v is lowered a lot and regularly scrapes the chin spoiler and has poly bushes all round and feels very good to drive, when she bought her golf he fitted poly bushes all round but kept the original ride height and it felt quite odd to drive the back end seemed very skippy and unpredictable so he changed the rear bushes to vag ones and it felt perfect

so if its lowered go for poly all round

if its standard height go for poly front and vag rear or vag all round

i think when i lower mine i will fit poly all round but at the moment i will stick with the vag all round.

Its's where the rear suspension bushes compress under hard cornering and angle the wheels ever-so-slightly so as to aid cornering ability...

I thought you lot all had my rear suspension and the MK2 Golf front - but that the VR's was different...?

Almost.... it's where the forces from the rear tyres encourage a twising of the axle's pivot points, ala the bushes. The rear steer bushes have sections removed from the rubber 'donut' that allow lateral movement once the road wheel forces overcome the bush's shure stiffness.

If you feel edginess from the back of a Corrado, the bushes aren't working basically, or your tyres are sh1t.

The rear axle is Passat derived and the front is all MK3 Golf "Plus" on the VR6 and MK2 on the G60/16V.

They're fitted :mrgreen:

I went for OEM spec beam bushes from GSF in the end, I also replaced the rear top mount rubbers while I had it in bits. The lower of the two top mounts had definatelty squashed up a bit, but otherwise the top mount condition was fine.

I started at 11.30am on Saturday, the beam was off within two hours, between my dad and myself we changed the bushes and had the suspension built up with the brakes re-connected by 7.00pm Saturday night. The job was not as bad as I thought it would be. The biggest hassle was caused by me forgetting to seal the flexi break hoses which meant the reservoir emptied :brickwall: so it had a brake fluid change too. Lots of :drinking: was then required, followed by me putting all the trim back in the boot, bleeding the brakes and getting it off its axle stands back on to four wheels in yesterdays heat with a megga hang over.

My first impressions, it is much more responsive to steering input and also there is less vibration from the rear end.

on an advertising poster i have for the 1992 corrado titled "the 1992 volkswagen corrado keep up with the porsches not with the joneses"

it mentions that the corrado has a low drag coefficient of just 0.32 and that the spoiler reduces end lift by as much as 64%.

sounds like marketing BS to me

Got the same poster... 8)

It's not BS, it's fact... The rear spoiler is just that, it's a SPOILER, not a wing or aerofoil... It provides NO down force which is why its supports are so thin... What it does is to spoil (see where the name comes from now?!? ;) :lol: ) the flow of air over the top of the car so that the aeroplane wing effect produced by the car body passing through the air is reduced (by upto 64% apparently! :? ) At high speeds some cars start to act as a wing (due to their shape) and can produce enough lift to make the back end become light which can make it twitchy and catch out a normal driver with BAD effects... The spoiler helps to reduce this effect. This is exactly the same reason that they stuck that nasty little spoiler onto the back of the TT where the Corrado got it's nice electronic one to help rear visibility when parking and to keep the drag co-efficient nice and low around town... 8) The Corrado was well thought out and designed to be a sports car where the TT was just a fashion statement... :twisted:

I'm not too impress with the handling of my c at the moment and have desided to replace all bushes. I'm gonna start with the rears. I've brought OEM rear beam bushes as well as top mounts. Top mounts are no problems for me however i've near had a crack at beam bushes. Can anyone help me along?

Whats the best way to do this, can it be done on the floor?

Any top tips?

Is there anything else worth doing at the same time whilst everthing is apart?

Can anyone point me in the right to learn about the suspension parts and preferably somewhere I can see a diagram so I know what the hell you are all talking about with the top mounts and lower mounts and bushes etc etc, lol.

Dixxy, Unless you have the proper tool to press the bushes out and in, I would remove the rear beam from the car. Mine was off in under two hours. Once off chain drill the rubber out to allow you to remove the centre of the bush leaving just the steel outer. Carefully hacksaw a groove through the remaining outer part to releave some of the tightness of the bush (Be carefull only to cut through the bush, not the rear beam). Using a hammer and chisel you can peel the steel outer away and eventually knock it out.

To fit the new ones buy some studding and nuts which will fit through the centre, plus you need to organise some sort of packing to fit the outer flange of the new bush, you must press them in on the outer not the centre.

Dr Forinor, The easiest place to look is probably a haynes manual for a similar age Passat or Mk2 Golf. Mine is a 16v which has different bushes to a VR6, so not sure if my description above would apply to yours.

Try undoing the allen key (why use those?) bolts holding the rear brake compensator on before you start properly as the chances are they will be impossible to remove and you'll have to cut them and the valve off. About £80 I think.

Easier to disconnect the ABS sensor cables from inside the car rather than the rear beam aswell.

Top tip, get a garage to do it. My local one had no end of grief doing it so I think the money was well spent for no hassle.