craigowl

Craigowl's

Is that not an airplane guitar same as Jack white from the white stripes but different colour!

What a random selection of pics, and there was me expecting to see your car! Uh-oh, this is how random threads start! Hmm, that gives me an off-topic idea... :D

Anyone else recognise this scenario?

Plenty I know.

You park your C in the car park as far from the activities of the madding crowd as you can!

My local B&Q - Falkirk. I have been going there since about 1980.

Edited by craigowl

Just realised, pics I had on old website gallery not here.

Putting them on now.

locations are:

Forth Railway Bridge, South Queensferry

Glencoe

Fife fishing village (forget which one!) - Someone Fay Fife will know. :roll:

We went away on trip of 5 days with C to Braemar and district last week. Showery at times, but when sun was out the grandeur and sheer natural beauty of the area reminded me again that we can have plenty of enjoyment staying within the UK.

Braemar is set in stunning scenery with everything for the casual stroller to those who like more serious stuff like 24 mile walks through one of our most challenging mountain massifs (Cairngorms). I first went there in 1963 with 3 school mates and stayed in Youth Hostel.

Though sited on the valley floor, the village is at one thousand feet above sea level,and the River Dee, starting on Braeriach in Cairngorms at over 4000' makes its long and tortuous way past Royal Deeside to Aberdeen, where it empties into the North Sea. Queen Victoria picked this area as her summer resort after considering several other locations and had Balmoral Castle built. The UK record minimum temperature of - 27.2C (recorded twice, in the past 120 years) reminds you of the attractions available to thousands who also visit the area in winter.

We stayed in an archetypal Victorian-built hotel - £99/person DB&B for four nights. Bargain! if you don't need gourmet food and 4 star accomodation. Many of the male guests in the hotel on coach tours looked like JR Hartley - surely we ain't as old as that yet! Plenty of drink around, but no "loutish behaviour"!

Some elderly Yorkshire folk there were heard to tell a tale or two of exotic places south of the Border.. ".....yeah - between 'alifax and Brig'ouse it were."

and "...they come down t'lick salt off t'road." The mind boggles.

Car behaved perfectly - 38mpg on some runs, though you do wonder everytime the sunroof is opened if it will close again! :bad-words:

German couple on Moto Gucci and BMW bikes, we met at layby on upper Deeside.

Some awesome scenery there craigowl - and you're absolutely right when you say we don't need to go abroad for a good road trip - plenty of decent scenery & roads up here! I'm quickly starting to learn that fact! :)

Looks like some great dogging spots there Mr Craigowl, just goes to show you're never too old :grin: :tongue:

Lovely pics and the car looks awesome, they're the kind of roads the Corrado was made for! And you're so right about how many stunning places we have on our doorstep here yet all we seem to hear is people moaning about wanting to move abroad! I've only been up to Scotland once, but will definitely go again, some of the islands especially look worth the trek!

great pics :D

do you think the Fife fishing villiage could be Pittenweem ?

Could be - we visited the five or so villages on the East Neuk of Fife that day.

Edited by craigowl

Lol @ walesy!

Craigowl - must share some of the pics my gf and I took on our trip round Scotland last year

not bad behind the lens craigowl ;)

Thanks, _leon_ - only been trying off and on for 46 years!

Here are two of first. Taken on mountain walk to Braemar in April 1963.

Camera for junk heap was given to me - a box Brownie with only two settings, "portrait" and "infinity".

Got one right and one wrong, here!

Looks like the 28 cm (undrifted) snow depth on the lawn this morning may be one of the deepest falls of my lifetime - and it's in November - very freaky!

Cold air from the Arctic or northern continental Europe:

1 - makes its way across North Sea

2 - picks up loads of moisture and is heated from below by water of 7C

3 - result - pronounced convective instability - cumulonimbus clouds - frequent heavy snow and hail showers - even thunder and lightning from some of them yesterday in Fife, Dundee and Newcastle.

Next? - Snow showers getting less frequent here after tonight as pressure rises. Long clear nights, little wind, severe frosts, possibly minus 20C at least in some places. Alpine conditions to be enjoyed - if you like that sort of thing.

No sign of relief by mild, wet, Atlantic airstreams getting to UK for next 8-10 days at least.

About an hour agp, Altnaharra was reporting heavy snow and a temperature of minus 9C. Apart from once seeing - decades ago - a heavy snow shower reported at Aberdeen (Dyce) Airport when the temperature was minus 15C, I do not recall seeing reports of falling snow in the UK with such low air temperatures. Most of our stuff falls at around, or just above zero C, I would say, hence it is mostly just messy and wet.

Not this winter or last winter, it would appear!

"I'm freezing my ass off out here this week while he works on another "project" - just an excuse for faffing about in the garage away from the missus, if you ask me!"

Somehow I've missed this thread chap! Beautiful pictures, when the sky is clear like that, Scotland is hard to beat, nice to see some pictures of your (very nice) car too :D