Sign in to follow this  
Blair

Mazda MX5?

Starting a new thread for this one, rather than indulging my recently all-too-frequent bad habit of going O/T on other people's "for sale" threads... :oops:

Actually Mat's suggestion of an MX-5 is a good un cause they're a riot to drive.... they're pretty quick aswell..... and they can be supercharged up to 230 brake :twisted:

But I can't see you in an MX-5 though, despite it being a non-gay ragtop. It's a good track day car.

Now, I've never driven one - they always seemed (on paper) to be a bit slow. But at the moment I'm considering a new car AND the g/f wants us to go halves on a ragtop golf for the summer. Maybe the best idea is just get a recent MX5 and kill 2 birds with one stone? Not that I want to literally kill my bird, you understand!!!

RWD, rag top, Jap engineering - so good so far. But does anyone know what they're like to live with?

My local dealer has one, I think it's 2 years old, with 9K miles for £12 grand...and I'm tempted.

They're supposed to be an absolute hoot to drive, you get Jap reliability and they're cheap.

The only downside is that you look like a bird when you're in one...

yeah....(( sorry andi ))....i'd agree with that...i wouldnt feel right driving one....bit of a hairdressers car for want of a less cliche phrase...

talk to chris vr6 nos (or whatever hes got his name as now) he imports jap cars and can probably get you a minter for less than 12k...probably!

I've only driven one but I don't know what they're like to live with.... but from what I've read, any niggles are minor ones and don't detract from the car's overall enjoyment. Paint flaking off the doors and bumpers I've seen happen and general panel fit on the early ones isn't that great close up.

They have an 1800 and a bit cc engine and dish out about 145bhp IIRC, which is enough to make it feel lively...it's not a heavy car.

Some late 90s ones had special additions, like 3 peice Split rim BBS (RS01 style), chrome luggage holder etc etc...these ones look nice. Interior is cramped but most had leather. The dash is pretty basic and pretty dull aswell...but it's a cheap rag top, so not really a big issue.

BBR (Brodie Britain Racing) used to do a factory approved turbo conversion, with warranty etc. And they *were* quick!

To drive, think of a darty Pug 205 1.9, but RWD, minimal scuttle shake and you get the picture.... they are a proper driver's car.

Take one for a spin mate.... I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

EDIT: You look more manly in one of these than you do in a Mini (BMW), MGF, or TT.....

They're a cracking good car. It may not impress on paper but you go and drive one - great fun to drive. Handles, rides and point to point a pretty quick car. Day to day I'm sure it'll be great as it's Japanese so will never break down, and being light and powered by a 1.8 it'll be good on the jungle juice!

Thanks guys...will book a test drive I think :)

The only downside is that you look like a bird when you're in one...

With my ugly mug and being 6'3" and 15 stone that would be one hell of an achievement ;)

But point taken :)

Don't worry 'bout that..... those 'in the know' will respect you for picking a fine handling machine...... it'll p1ss all over a TT roadster cross country, despite having an 80bhp deficit.

As Asim says, ignore the paper figures, they mean nothing. 0-60 is about 8 point something, but they feel a lot quicker.

I've not driven a BBR turbo one, but apparently they are mad.... 0-60 in the mid 5s. Same with the Supercharged one....gearing is short, so only 'bout 140ish top end....but believe me, you don't wanna go any faster than 100 in it with the roof down anyway, LOL!

I'd love one Furki - can you lend me the extra 6 grand please? ;)

And yeah Kev - I was reading about the supercharged one in the latest Evo. OK, so it wasn't up in the top of their road'n'track car list (a short list it has to be said) but the fact that it was even included speaks volumes. They also seemed to really rather like it...:)

OK, you've all convinced me - I'll get a test drive. It'll keep the g/f quiet too (I mentioned I was going to sort out a test drive, she said "I like the sound of that!". Mind you, given that I sort of twisted her arm into getting the TDI130 Ibiza instead of the snail version, I suppose that's fair enough ;) )

Yeah the red one on 17s! Have yet to get that far into the report....but I suspect the handling would be better on the original rims. Glad to see the Noble M400 came out on top. I love that car and everything it stands for....no nonsense English know how and technical ability. If I had £56K, I'd be going to a Noble dealer, no question..... the 911 is my dream car, but the Noble is just about the fastest A to B car on the planet.....and it's got a 3.0 ford engine, LOL!

Without meaning reinforce their girly image, my Mum's got one :-) An early 1.6 and it is great fun to drive, although I recommend a bag of sand/cement in the boot, as they can be rather frisky. Reliability wise, she's had it for about 4 or 5 years now, and the only thing it's needed done aside from regular servicing was a replacement rear panel in the rag top after someone closed it without unzipping it first... :oops:

Independent Motoring section had an article on them this week:

http://motoring.independent.co.uk/road_ ... 296778.ece

yeah....(( sorry andi ))....i'd agree with that...i wouldnt feel right driving one....bit of a hairdressers car for want of a less cliche phrase...

Hairdressers have moved on now - they prefer TTs lol.

And mine was hardly a typical MX5!

Astounding handling (when a curve says "50mph max." - you know you can floor it round doing twice that.)

Induction + zaust makes a good racket.

I've been in a 250bhp Turbo'd one - mental :shock:

Parts are cheap.

Jap imports are dealer and in most case insurance-friendly now.

Keep sunblock in the car. You WILL get burnt.

Right - just back.

I liked it - a lot! Lots of plus points - nice and solid, tight handling, nice and low, no roof (naturally!), metallic black, under 6K miles on an 04 plate and a fiver under 12 grand.

Performance was OK - about as slow as I'd be willing to go to be honest, but still quick enough to be fun. I expected it to be closer to the G60, being lighter and only giving away 15bhp, but the G60 just feels so much quicker. Not really a problem though.

Fine on the motorway too (as it's going to be my company car it has to be, I warned them before the test & they were fine). Down 1 junction with the roof down (superb visibility!) and back with the roof up (poor visibility!), was surprised how refined it is at 80 - I mean 70 - with the roof up. Impressive. Apart from my hair brushing on the roof lining!! :(

Only two bad points:

1. Tiny boot. For some reason I thought it might be a bit bigger. I didn't expect anything like the Corrado, but I was still a bit surprised. Fine for a weekend bag, laptop bag etc. but not much else!

2. Steering wheel - no adjustment :( The wheel was brushing my legs for the entire test drive. I just don't know if I could live with that :(

My dad bought one a few weeks ago, its worth going for the facelifted sport version, you should be able to get one for 12k. 6 speed box, leather and 16 inch wheels. Pretty slow car tbh but absolutely stunning to drive - body and wheel control is out of this world.

Just watch out for bubbling of the alloys and a dodgy clutch, most have been fixed under warrenty but they need to replace the flywheel, clutch and cover i think. You basically get judder setting off and some nasty noises.

And you can get a lot more in the car than you'd think, dad got a full weekends camping and diving kit in, including the air tank.

Did your dad have anyone else in the car?!?! Or did he fill the footwell with gear as well?

Still thinking about it though...it was a very nice car...

Damnit damnit damnit.

This always happens. Every time I think I've made my mind up to get something new, I stroll home and end up standing in the street drooling over my own car.

Someone suggested getting a Ford turdo diesel for work and keeping the Corrado. I'm starting to think my heart won't let me do anything else!

my suggestion!

i agree the mx-5 seems to be a real drivers car, see craploads at trackdays.

i still back my idea of garaging the C and buying a turbo diesel vag car :D

save yourself a bit of money, buy a couple of years old golf/ibiza whatever then spend the saved moeny on dry storage for the c :D

just got back from doing 200 miles cross country today in the missus's MX-5 10th Anneversary.

Only 2 downsides.

1. they are a little gutless in the midrange if you are used to something with a bit of grunt, but you jsut have to alter your driving style (ie. rev it more)

2. I think I have sun stroke :nuts:

Brilliant cars, comfortable, fast, and handle briliantly, and very cool too.

oh I thought of one more downside - not too hot in the snow!

But dont let these things detract from it, they are incrdible handling cars.

What a coincidence! - My g/f is picking one of these up tomorrow. 1998, 27K miles, "Berkeley" edition no. 155 out of 500. Apparently it was the run out version of the older pop-up headlight version. I can't wait to get my hands on it!

She's had the car for 2 days and driven it about 15 miles. I've driven it about 80! It is such a wicked car.

They are excellent - One to go for is definately a mk2 10th Anneversary - 1700 made, all with bilstein suspension, six speed box, leather/alcantara sports seats. torsen diff, Nardi steering wheel and gearnob as standard.

As far as I am aware it was the most expensive mx-5 produced to this day

Terrific car. Might be worth finding one with a hard top as standard