Sign in to follow this  
Dennis.be

RotorDiscs brake discs, good or bad material???

Used to have them on my VR6 - previous owner had them fitted...

I hated them. Looked like saw blades and they seemed to judder whenever I had my foot on the brake.

Originally I thought this was the ABS, and all corrados were like this. Then someone in the know told me otherwise. Now running proper VAG brake discs and they are a billion times better :wink:

So they not as good as they looks like? How about Aré powerdiscs?

POWERD.jpg

These discs have been around for a few years now & never really caught-on.

Strange, those type of brakes are very popular on Techno Bikes or Street Fighters.

seen those rotor discs on a few cars,dont really like the look of them,i see enough saw blades in work..arnt those ate discs not are powerdiscs

I don't see the point in the saw-blade disks. They claim it's to get more airflow through the disk to help cool it down, but you're basically adding extra metal to the disk that's not part of the swept area of the brake pad. That means that you're adding extra un-sprung weight, thus extra momentum that you have to stop when you do brake.

Plus they look a bit chav :?

I don't see the point in the saw-blade disks. They claim it's to get more airflow through the disk to help cool it down, but you're basically adding extra metal to the disk that's not part of the swept area of the brake pad. That means that you're adding extra un-sprung weight, thus extra momentum that you have to stop when you do brake.

Plus they look a bit chav :?

eh?they are no bigger than the standard discs,so i would imagine they actually weigh less because there is less metal

Well ok, if they're the same size as normal disks, you've just lost a load of swept area because they're no longer round, thus you have less braking power.

just got this from awesome gti's web site..still wouldnt buy them myself though

Rotor Discs are direct replacement for original discs without any modification.

Enhanced cooling due to the Rotor Disc design encouraging air flow through the disc.

The Rotor Disc design also reduces the weight of the discs making them the lightest direct replacement discs on the market reducing the weight by approx 10%.Reducing unsprung rotational weight which in turn improves acceleration and reduces Gyroscopic effect improving handling.(The same idea behind Alloy and Magnesium Wheels). Example: Audi TT a saving of 1.36kg on the front discs alone.

16 grooves giving increased friction improving stopping power and allowing hot gasses to escape whilst stopping the disc and pads from glazing over, keeping stopping power throughout the life of the discs.

Unichrome Zinc plated to help prevent rust on upswept surface.

Rotor Discs have been designed to be gentle on pads whilst maintaining stopping power.

Rotor Discs and ourselves recommend the use of Pagid pads with these discs

Dennis.be, ATE powergroove discs are very good - same as any other grooved disc. They help stop the pads & discs from "scorring". Grooved discs perform way better than drilled ones.

If there's less material than a normal disc surely there's less material to dissipate heat and thus the brakes will run hotter? What a load of hog w@nk!

If there's less material than a normal disc surely there's less material to dissipate heat

nope as when you add grooves you increase surface area this causes greater heat loss, think fins on a heatsink!

So I better choose for normal grooved brakes if I follow the reactions on this topic. It's hard to find a good solution, there are so many discs that has almost the same quality and looks.

Maybe I go take a look for the Até powerdiscs, Brembo MAX or even Black diamond discs.

Anyway, thanks for the reactions.

If there's less material than a normal disc surely there's less material to dissipate heat

nope as when you add grooves you increase surface area this causes greater heat loss, think fins on a heatsink!

Ahh but then the more grooves you have, the less friction material you have making contact with each other... ;)

dinkus, only upto a point... once you get above a certain number of grooves you simply end up with a thinner disk! ;) :lol:

Grooves bung up with compacted brake dust after a while aswell, so you end up with a plain disc. Totally pointless.