Sign in to follow this  
Neil VR6

Cleaning BBS wheels

I takes me as long to clean my wheels as it does to clean the entire car. Are there any special tools out there that really make the process easier or do people use a jet washer? I've got one of those big bristly test tube cleaner-type things but the bristles bend away at the end and reveal the metal wire which could scratch the wheels. Are there any trade secrets out there? It's enough to make me want to buy some Schmidt Modern Lines! :)

I dont think so mate.. just patience is required. Thats the bain of owning BBS wheels. Imagine owning something like 19" BBS LM's!! ARRRGGHHH :)

Though might be worth applying some polish to the wheels - brake dust should be less inclined to stick to the wheels, and then washing should be a lot easier.

Tooth brush, time and the radio! doo them first as well then you dont have to worry about getting the car dirty. I have speed lines and when i clean them i take them off and clean them on the bench! ( some people say i have too much time!)

mine are nearly black and the 14years of cack dont come off :D

so im just planning to swap them heheh.

a brush helps, as does using something mildly caustic such as TFR or a mild hydroflouric acid (careful!) if you know what your doing, get a brush like TomB linked us to, a big bucket of soapy water and a jet washer. in 20mins i bet they look better than new!

then polish them to death as jim said!

Brushing, especially with toothbrushes, can be harsh to the laquer and could introduce fine swirl marks.

As Jim says, a good wheel wax such as Swissol's Autobahn, a cloth and patience are all that's required.

Tooth brush, time and the radio! doo them first as well then you dont have to worry about getting the car dirty. I have speed lines and when i clean them i take them off and clean them on the bench! ( some people say i have too much time!)

yeah...but you cant much a wheel that's much easier to clean than speedo's!...were'as the BBS are a barstud. :cry:

I use lighter fuel on my bb's and they come up brill, easy to do as well. Then like jim says plenty of car polish.......Easy to clean next time then :turn-l: .

That looks like a good tool. I'll try that!

With regrad to the polish it sounds like a great idea but how long would that take! I suppose there's only one way to find out. I think my Pagid pads are quite "dusty" as well which only exacerbates the problem.

Might get onto Mr Wintle about the Swissol wheel wax. How long does it last? Applying wheel wax is something which I don't want to have to do very often for the sake of my sanity!!

Get some Virosol from http://www.olympiccleaning.com/ spray it on the wheels then after a few minutes wash it off. this will also remove any wax that you have put on the wheels.....

While you are there also look at Brite glass cleaner, Activ-f shampoo and the screenwash, all clover chemical products, tried and tested....!

I use lighter fuel on my bb's and they come up brill, easy to do as well. Then like jim says plenty of car polish.......Easy to clean next time then :turn-l: .

I take it you don't then dry them off with a match :lol:

I'm for the good coat of wax trick aswell. Are they caked in sh1te Neil ?? Try doing them at least once a fortnight once they're clean, the brake dust just rinses off with wax. i just use those cheapo small washing-up sponges on mine with turtle wax, rinse, dry and then polish ......

No, I clean my car far too often for them to get caked, they just take so long to clean! I've ordered one of those brushes from Lakeland and I'll see how that goes. S'pose I should give the wheels a wax. I've got some Turtle Wax wheel wax but sadly finding the 3 hours necessary to do it is a different matter.... Maybe I really should go for some Schmidt Modern Lines :twisted: