dinkus

Autowatch alarm tips

Re: the door switch - unscrew the switch and you will notice that one of the wires is missing that connects to the switch - just use a wire hook and dig it out from behind the panel it is hanging down behind it. The switch works as I tested the connection recently - I think it just needs a good clean up or something. I was in the middle of sorting it out a couple of weeks ago, but it got dark... then not long after I sold the car and forgot to finish it off. Hope that makes sense!

Ah cool, nice one, shouldn't be too hard. 8)

Saw your thread on the new H&Rs, wishbone and bushes ... car is coming on very nicely and it is brilliant to see it being finshed off to such a high standard. Great to know it has gone to such a good home!

Why thank you :) It certainly feels much more planted now. It's not quite as harsh over bumps and it's lost that kind of wander/slop that it used to have too. I'm dead impressed :D

Well I thought I'd try out this wonderful blip removal technique and move the C off the driveway so I can give the Golf a good clean.

So I go out and blip the blipper to unlock the car... nothing. I try again a few steps closer, nothing. I try again, looking to make sure the light on the fob flashes, which it does and still nothing.

So I go in and get the other fob and try that... nothing.

So I try unlocking the car with the key - no central locking, but the door does open and I get in.

Try the bipper again and the red light on the dash keeps flashing away merrily. So I try the key in the ignition and the light stays on permenantly. Great I think, turn it to start it and get deafened by the alarm going off... :mad: :roll:

So um suggestions on how I'm going to be able to move my car anyone?

Me again...

So it turns out that it's nowt to do with the alarm, it's cos the battery is dead :roll:

Right, after the alarm going off twice last night and twice the other night, I'm getting a wee bit cheesed off. (Obviously the car is fine during the day, it's only in the middle of the night that it decides to go off randomly :roll: )

At least it now appears to be telling me what's wrong - I get 3 sets of double blips just after I lock the car, which I presume is some kind of code telling me what sensor is not working properly.

Could anyone shed some light on it for me please?

Bonnet switch is always the favourite. Try taking the wire off it and arming up. Assuming it does it on arming then I don't think it'll be the ultrasonics or microwave sensor.

After the bonnet check the door switches and boot.

Gavin

Just got one of these installed yesterday, everything was fine until late last night........

Sitting infront of the TV at about 12pm and I hear a beep (loud) from the car, ignored it but then there was another one 5mins later, this carried on for an hour or so but the beep times were random - anywhere between 3 and 15 minutes. By 2pm after disarming and arming the car a few times i'm getting pretty pissed off (as are my neighbours probably) so I just went to bed. Woken up a few times throughout the night all the way through to morning (when it seemed to stop :x ).

Phoned up the alarm fitters and they seemed to think it had something to do with a dodgy neutral connection on my battery (which is true) and the alarm rearming itself all frickin night. So i've done my best to sort out the connection and changed the alarm to silent (dis)arm - all is well so far. Only problem is that because its on silent now it could be arming itself every 10 minutes and I won't even know about it!

The best bit is that i'm going on holliday later today so god knows what will happen while i'm gone...

Even in silent the indicators will flash when arming. How long are you away for?

Could you leave the car locked with the keys? The immobiliser will be on, if it's in a garage it'll be safe in Cornwall......

Gavin

Away for a week. Think i will leave it just immobilised. When i get back i'll turn off silent and see if there is still a problem.

Having had my 160 fitted two months ago I am very happy with it.

Some useful things I discovered: (Some of these may have been covered earlier)

You cannot disable or change the length of the auto immobiliser. But once it has armed, instead of arming and dis-arming, which can be very annoying you can: TURN THE IGNITION KEY SO THAT IGNITION LIGHTS ARE ON THEN PRESS THE BUTTON ON YOUR KEY FOB. THIS WILL DISABLE THE IMMOBILISER.

Also the anti-hijack mode will NOT work on your Corrado. You will notice that if enabled when you start the car the car will try and engage the central locking but "Give up". Also when switching off ignition the car central locking trys to unlock an already unlocked car. This is due to a feature built into the Corrados ECU and I think maybe the same for all UK Volkswagens. I am aware that Autowatch are looking into this........

P.S. If you do have one of these alarms fitted go for the courtesy light option as it is a really nice touch !!!!

Forgot about this thread..

UPDATE on my above problem.. (you need to read it)

Got back from holiday had pretty much forgotten about the problem, re-set the alarm though and turned it off silent, no problems at all. About a week later my girlfriends parents were round, they had been feeding the cat while we were away and they told us the fire alarm in the house had been beeping a low battery warning, thought nothing of it. Couple of nights later the fire alarm starts beeping again (picture this), i'm sitting infront of the TV as realisation kicks in.. OMG it was the frickin' fire alarm (yeh, inside the house!) all along! :oops: :x :D Need to get my hearing checked methinks.

Ah well.

LOL! The only time my Autowatch has ever gone off falsely is when I left the windows open last summer and a daddy long legs (Crane fly, LOL!) flew in and set the Ultrasonics off. Otherwise a very reliable alarm.....if installed properly.

rayb74, Yep that's a VW thing. I tried upping the trigger pulse as high as it would go but no good. Glad Autowatch are looking into it as I wouldn't mind the anti-hijack feature....and yep, I've used the courtesy light feature on my 160 too ;-)

hmm just realised its the same as the microscan an 500 alarm imobiliser.

http://www.microscan.uk.com/insalarms.htm

which is what i have fitted to mine it even has the stupidly bright blue LED.

i can get these for about 60quid as they are based round the corner from where i work 8).

i also have the second button as the boot release, but i might change it to the drivers door.

I also have the second button as the boot release, but i might change it to the drivers door.

How does the second button work for the boot release? Does it actually pop it open like you get on new Mercs etc? Is this an option you can buy for the Autowatch alarm?

on mine i just connected the spare output from the alarm to a normal central locking solenoid which just opens the catch on the boot. then all you need to do is double press the small button on the remote to open the boot.

not sure if the autowatch has the same output?

So it just pops it open then, just saves you having to press the button in on the boot to open it. That could be very useful to have.

For those of you with Autowatch alarms, I just wanted ask about the immobilisation part of the system. Currently my C is fitted with separate alarm and separate immobilisor (Cat 2) and this means that I've got the remote for the alarm, plus a little plastic lump that deactivates the immobilisor. If I go for an Autowatch, will this all be combined into the alarm remote operation itself, or will I still have to have a little plastic lump?

Also, because I already have a Cat 2, I see there are separate systems for upgrading this. However, I'm thinking that I might be better off just having a full system and completely replacing my current immobilisor. What do you guys (and girls) think?

will this all be combined into the alarm remote operation itself, or will I still have to have a little plastic lump?

It'l all be combined mate.

I'm thinking that I might be better off just having a full system and completely replacing my current immobilisor. What do you guys (and girls) think?

I'd agree, just get one fitted

It'l all be combined mate.

Good, that's what I want. I'm fed up with having so much on my keyring. Still need to get the barrel on my drivers door sorted so that it matches the rest, and then that gets rid of an unnecessary key, and then if I get the alarm sorted that's the little plastic lump gone, and I'll just be down to my VW emblem, one key, and one remote. I did have one of those Corrado metal keyrings from Justmatz on there at one point, but it was just so awkward because of the length of it, plus I didn't really want to lose the thing.

My current alarm is a horrible thing - it's a rather ancient Foxguard and the sound it makes when you arm/disarm is embarrasing! Plus the range on the remote is worse than worse. When I bought the car it only had one old broken cased remote and so I had to get an aftermarket thing which just doesn't seem to have a very good range, and the battery soon seems to run out. Also can't wait to have closure on the windows and interior light illumination. I had full-closure and interior light activation on the alarm on my last car which I had for about 5 years, and it was horrible 'down-grading' to the system installed on my C!

Bumpity bump for an ancient thread :lol:

Was just wondering if anybody knows how to adjust the sensitivity of the ultrasound sensors in the cabin? The new C I've got also has an Autowatch alarm and it's uber-hyper sensitive and went off no less than 9 times last night. If I double-blip it when I lock it, the sensors are disabled and it hasn't gone off yet, so I know it must be them that are playing up.

Walesy...is that something your friendly place would be able to tell you?

I have no idea mate, and it's been years since I used those guys as they were back in Wales, I don't have any numbers for them anymore - have you tried looking at the autowatch website?

if you trace the wires back from the ultrasonic transmitter and receiver they should both connect to a little square box, there should be a dial on that to adjust the sensitivity.