Sign in to follow this  
NickVR6

Lucky Spin !

arrr, eeew and feeeuw!

Fiddling with my TA adjustment last night, amazing how much diff there is between hard and soft! Nice. Anyway, left the backs on hard and the fronts on soft last night after being distracted and went out for a spin.

Came up to a wet roundabout doing about 60 going for a slight lift and exit first left, and schnawzers, i'm going backwards. Missed everything no harm done but suddenly found my self wide awake!!

I know i know, you dont lift into a corner but there normally so forgiving you get lazy. What suprised me was the speed at which it snapped round.

I presume this is due to my stupid choice of setings, and i should say less than perfect rear tread!

Vallet now required :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Hard rear, soft front was a contributing factor to my pylon incident. Don't try it at home kids.

Glad you're ok Nick, but if you do shit like that again I'll come and personally confiscate your C. Dead CF members are no flippin use... ;)

I thought you'd be more worried about the car Dinkus!

I actually feel like im glad i've got it out the way. I think you need to do it once to get your feet back on the ground. Even with dodgey camber i've been amazed at its sticking power now in the dry, but you become stupidly confident. Good to be reminded that there are limits.

Yes Kev, I'd agree with your disciption of my set up skills. What a muppet!

In my defence I had winjing in the background, can you please clear up this before you mess about with that car again...blah blah

I did this on my valver but only to see what the effects were. Took my time round the bends tho..........very scary!

I think they are better towards the soft side (ALL ROUND), bit bouncy at the front otherwise. Im not intending to repeat the adventure anyway, i'd rather set it in "predictable understeer mode" !

The beauty of them is you can fine tune them to counter act tyre stiffness, bush stiffness, ambient temp affecting damper oil thickness etc etc

Mine are on all soft at the moment because the ABRs do most of the roll prevention but you can feel the front end get slightly out of shape easier on the limit than stealth's default setting of 1.5 turns front and half turn rear. It's a process of experimentation!

Some jap suspension company has made a controller and 4 motors to sit ontop of the dampers and you can adjust them from inside the car. Koni used to do a similar electronic controller but canned it years ago, hope they bring it back!!

Some jap suspension company has made a controller and 4 motors to sit ontop of the dampers and you can adjust them from inside the car. Koni used to do a similar electronic controller but canned it years ago, hope they bring it back!!

Now that would be excellent, no more taking the rear parcel shelf supports out!

Glad you are ok Nick, just make sure you don't do it again :wink:

No need any more. Genuine electronically controlled dampers are available - which is the same idea but much less crude than the "leccie motor bolted to the adjuster".

New Vauxhalls have it - maybe VWs too, but I don't get any inside info on VW parts, only ZF ones ..

wheel spin , power out and drift :-) easy in hindsight, with the recent rain you could of hit a patch of diesel on the road

the rear shock adjustment is a pain in the a55 to get to , glad you're ok mate

Glad to hear you had room to miss everything, Nick and we aren't now going to strip her for spares. H&Rs anyone? :lol:

Yeah, they do change ends quickly don't they. I hit some diesel on a roundabout out Chippenham way last year, amazing how it concenterates the mind.

Have to be even more careful with new tyres tommorrow, they will add to the slipperyness initially. Pretty much wont be driving until the camber gets done next friday though, as it will eat the new tyres in a week and a half!

Despite yesturdays "lateral experiment", I am so so loving the car with this new suspension on, just awsome fun. Best mod ever, what a great car. And now its overfueling the pinking has gone. Only getting 14-19mpg but its going like a rocket!

Sure Vince will bring me back down to earth with a bump when he tells me whats not working, i am expecting a LIST !

Gixxer, not sure that would have worked as it was soooo slippery. Plus im not that quick and was a bit dopey after work, well more than usual anyway!

setting the suspension up is all about compromise, you can get it to handle like a go cart but it will rattle your fillings out

good fun tho :-)

i had a good play with mine today i had to compromise on not too bouncy but still a little too filling loosening! stil feels much better