dinkus

The definitive 312mm brakes onto a VR thread

b@ll@x to ya kev :p:p can't you for once do something to your car no one likes grrr fit furry dice or neons !

very nice work ;-)

We just bent the guard out of the way too.

Pity some numpty had not done our hub anywhere near tight enough. My disk was wobbling quite a lot until we tightened it up.

Had a bit of an alignment issue on the n/s - something is not straight and the calipers are sitting at a slight angle (maybe a mm or so) - so either my brakes are bent or my hub is.

Might take the n/s brake to bits again to see if it is the hub or the caliper. A straight rule against the holes for the carrier bolts. Hub was only replaced a year ago. Could it have bent with the wobble from not being tight enough?

Can you visually see that the alignment is off, or by the way the pads are wearing onto the disc, i.e. only wiping half of it?

I suppose it is indeed feasible that the loose driveshaft nut has caused the hub to bend out of alignment with the disc mouting face.

GIXXERUK, LOL! Just for you I will fit some wheel cap lights and illuminated screen washers :-)

Yeah, I can visually see they are off, and I'm fairly sure it is the hub as we had uneven pad wear on the pads that came off i.e the pad had about a mm more wear on one end than the other (and upside down on the other side).

So my brakes sit like this, with the calipers pushing in an off central position, shall I look into repacing the hub?

Yeah the hub is bent. I don't think a bare hub costs that much new tbh, but PM bigpantsbaby as he'll probably have a s/hand one he can send over.

Cheers mate. Yeah they're TT discs and carriers fresh from Ipswich Audi :-)

The silver paint actually has some kind of mild abrasive in it to help the pads bed in quicker I discovered, neat ;-)

The idea behind the painting is that there will be no exposed rusty bits as the discs and calipers age ;-)

Has anyone got a definitive answer on dust shields, I put new powder coated ones on not long ago and don't want to loose them when I upgrade to 312mm. The Audi TT dust sheilds sounds like a plan but do they fit?, anyone found out?

Bend them slightly and there is no problem. No point in wasting money on TT dust shields.

T.

You don't need them anyway. They're only there to protect the disc in case the CV gaiter splits and stones get jammed behind them too, rather than deflecting them. Disc cooling is better too without it there.

On the way to stealth today the pads started bedding in fully and those Ferodos are stunningly good. I've got Vince's Passat 1.8T for a week and the brakes on that are approx one third as good as the 312s, and that's saying something considering how dire the VR6 pedal is normally.

I know this is 312mm brakes hall of fame but I have a question about 310 mm brakes.

I was reading top gear last night and they have a review of the mk5 r32. it has 310 mm brakes on the back.

Would this be doo-able on the front of a VR and if so would it throw out the rear brakes?

MK5 is 5 x 112, so nope!

Larger front discs shouldn't affect the rear end so long as the discs and pads are in good nick and working properly.

ah, just wondered if they were that little bit smaller than 312 they might be less hassle but didn't think about the other dimentions.

Upgrading my brakes soon, 312mm on the front and MKIV callipers on the back. I need a bit of help with the following

Thinking of buying the discs from GFS (Part No 60192). Or are VAG discs better buy

As all the new callipers are now banjo fittings will the Goodridge hose part No SVW1030-6 VW GOLF MK4 (GTI & VR6) A be ok. Or will I need MKII To MKIV Hoses Part No SVW0506-2 VW GOLF GTI MK2-4 for the rear and another set for the front.

Finally Is the VR6 standard disc size ok at the rear with the MKIV calipers or is anyone using larger size.

Personally, I'd go for genuine VAG disks, they're not cheap but they're much better than the GSF ones, so should last longer.

If you want drilled/grooved disks then obvioulsy you'll have to go for something non-VAG tho.

I already had the Mk2->Mk4 adapter hoses on my rear callipers, so just bought the centre and front hoses. The front hoses I have are SVW0604-2FP.

The Mk4 rear callipers are a straight swap on the same disks. You can even use Corrado pads in them if you like, but you get a better brake pedal feel if you use late-spec (93 on I believe) Mk3 GTI pads instead. I dunno why, but you do :)

People have been talking about fitting bigger rear disks, but I'm not sure if anyone's done it yet...

For those of you wondering - I finally got round to weighing up the old 280mm setup that came off my VR (inc some rather worn disks) and they were 2kg per side lighter than the 312s...

For those of you wondering - I finally got round to weighing up the old 280mm setup that came off my VR (inc some rather worn disks) and they were 2kg per side lighter than the 312s...

Is that all? Not bad at all 8) I couldn't really detect much of a weight difference when lugging the 288 and 312s around the workshop....