dinkus

The definitive 312mm brakes onto a VR thread

There;s a 2001 mk4 1.8t in our local scrappy, would these be 288 or 312mm? I seem to have conflicting info on which they are!

Cheers

Mk4 1.8Ts did not have 312s from 97 on as far as I know.

I'd say that car has 288s Jez.

As far as I know, the 1.8Ts had 312s from 11/'97 onwards, as per the 312mm brakes wiki article

May need to amend the wiki article dinkus as thats partly the conflicting info I was on about :wink:

Yeah I think you're right geo from what I can tell only the V6 4motion golfs have 312mm brakes. I would say that its probably only the S3 and 225 TT will have them in the audi range too, and the top whack skoda jobbie

In any case anyone got some 312mm carriers they don't need? I bought the callipers anyways cos they were cheap as!

If they definitely weren't available on the 1.8Ts, then I'll take it off - the aim is to get accurate info.

That list on the wiki was from the ebay auction I bought my brakes from, so may not be the most reliable source in the world.

Elsewhere, I've heard that some of the S3s had 312s, but not sure if all of them did, the Skoda vRS had them and all of the TTs apart from the weedy one did.

I've been trying to use ATP on ETKA to find what other models the brake disks were used in, but it keeps saying there's no parts found with that number.

Edit: Hmmmm - it would appear that I can get a list of models the carriers were used on in the form of PR-1ZQ etc. any use to anyone?

Also appears that there are 2 different part numbers for the carriers...

I think the anniversary model Mk4 Golf GTIs were the only 1.8Ts that came with the 312s.

I've got the 312's on, but have just bought some carriers for 288s, what else am I going to need (apart from a 288 disk)

You mean to change back?

You will just need the original (shorter) carrier bolts to bolt back on the 288 carrier when you remove the 312 carrier and spacer washers.

Aye, I've buckled my 17" when I crashed, so going to go for 288s and put my speedo's back on til I find the right set of rims.

So I'll just need 288mm disk of a MkIV Golf? And to dig out my bolts?

The 288 disc off a Mk4 golf won't work. You'll need to get the Mk3/Corrado items as they have a different offset.

The Mk4 ones have the same offset as the 312s you have on your car (hence the need for the spacers) but the 288s won't work with the spacer like the 312s do as the disc is smaller and the inner friction surface will foul on the hub where the bolts holding the caliper pass through. Because the 312 is bigger the pad area is further out from the centre and clears the hub ok.

Hope you can understand what I am on about, it's harder to describe than it is to see for yourself.

Cheers, I'll have a look at the MkIII bits

This'll be the bugger will it?

60205 BRAKE DISC-VENTED 288mm B G3 2.8 VR6 MID 95> (Ch.1HSW560001>) 27.50 Add

Hi people, is anybody on here still able to supply the longer bolts for this? or know where i can obtain some? im kind of stuck at the mo!

Cheers

OK. For anyone experiencing poor brake pedal feel after completing the 312mm upgrade help may be at hand. My brake set up uses all OE pads and discs and a MKIV rear calliper upgrade and stainless hoses throughout.

Since my upgrade my pedal feel has been less than convincing despite a thourough bleed on set up but it did improve after bedding in but was far from good. I spoke with Jeff Webb at Dubsport who explained that in order to bleed the brakes thouroughly it can be necessary to bleed valves on the ABS and brake mastercylinder. This has now been done and I now have the brakes I always wanted. Thanks to Jeff. You may wish to consider this if you have similar problems. :cheers: :afro:

Does anyone know what the largest front brakes you can squeeze behind standard 15's, by any chance?

(Or point me to the correct thread before the Repost Police arrest me ;))

just seen that bleeding the abs can help the pedal feel, mine are alot better now the brake discs/pads are bedded in, i have bled them since, but how do you bleed the abs pump??

got a set of 312's for sale int he classifieds if anyone is interested.

(22 pages says you are.....)

just seen that bleeding the abs can help the pedal feel, mine are alot better now the brake discs/pads are bedded in, i have bled them since, but how do you bleed the abs pump??

two nipples on the top of the abs pump (No jokes thanks!)

T.