dinkus

The definitive 312mm brakes onto a VR thread

You need M12x40x1.5 bolts rates 10.9 or above, unfortunately they only ones I could get hold of were in boxes of 100 at £40! However, I may have found somewhere that can do them individually but I deleted the voicemail from my phone from the shop. It sounded promising though, was on the way home from work when I got it so didn't listen properly :(

Will find out tommorow and let y'all know as Ive made my own bolts up by shortening an M12x60 but don't like that as a permanent solution...

Jez, those are the calliper carrier to hub bolts (dimensions are too big to be the calliper to carrier bolts)... got mine off daves16v off here. PM him in sure he can sort you out.

Cheers Storm Warning.... might be in luck though, I rang the same dealer later on in the day and spoke to another guy who was really helpfull and low n behold he said he could get them! To be honest he didnt sound too convincing but he said they are the ones I need so I ordered them anyway. Should b here in a couple of days so i'll let you know!

I have the invoice in front of me, if anyone has access to ETKA may be they could confirm the part no's?

VN 907 085 02 (think thats it?)

the caliper carrier bolts will always be in stock,unlike the carrier to hub bolts which you need to source yourself..

No idea on VAG part numbers, but I think they don't exist - perhaps as dazzyvr6 says.

You need the spec bolts Jez posted and you can get them from most fixings/bolts type shops (check out Yellow Pages/www.yell.com)

Update: go to pick up the bolts that were ordered and they are the wrong ones. They ordered the ones that bolt the carrier to the hub and cant help to get the ones that bolt the calliper to the carrier without part no. or chassis no.

the search continues

The calliper->carrier bolts are from an Audi TT with 312mm brakes, it's not rocket science to find them on ETKA if they've got half a brain cell :roll:

My ETKA's dead at the moment, but I'm sure someone will be able to look the part number you need up for you.

sorted! went to my local audi dealer, 2 minutes later had them ordered!

The part no. for them for future reference is A251 615 219

Cheers guys!!

Hi,

Does anyone have any views on Zimmerman Discs (Cross Drilled)? Or should I stick with Brembos?

For reference (Possibly useful on the Wiki)?:

Non VAG 312mm Discs from GSF:

Brembo (standard only) = Code: 60192 @ £ 42.50+vat each

Zimmerman cross drilled = Code: 62374F @ £ 46.50+vat each

Thanks,

Duncan

The general consensus seemed to be that the Zimmermans, particularly the cross-drilled ones were crap and tended to crack. :?

The general consensus seemed to be that the Zimmermans, particularly the cross-drilled ones were crap and tended to crack. :?

Hmm. Guess I must have been lucky - mine lasted for years before wearing out and needing replacement.

I'm seriously thinking of moving up to 16's and doing the 312mm upgrade. I want to keep the car looking as OEM as possible so will need to find some 5-spokes that look similar to the standard VR6 Speedlines.

I know this is a bit off-topic, but can anyone let me know the exact size (inc. offset) of the wheels I'll need and the size of the tyres that go with them please?

Edit: 225/40 R16 seems to come out as an almost perfect match on various tyre size calculators for maintaining the same rolling radius and circumference.

204/45 r16 is what I have.

But if you want to keep it looking standard but with much better brakes, why not just fit 288mm items?

Same calipers, pads and hoses but different disks and carriers - so you can upgrade further in the future if you feel like it.

An extra 8mm over standard doesn't sound that significant. Is there much of an improvement then?

The pads are twice the size and thew swept area is significantly bigger.

So yes, a useful improvement over a 280mm set up, plus they stick out less giving you more clearance if you want to change wheels.

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I am really struggling to find anywhere near me/on the web where I can get the high tensile bolts from :(

I've got the all the other bits, in fact my sister works for a honing company and they made me the spacers. They make loads of bits for F1 cars so made em out of quality materials as well! Got some spare sets if anyones interested.....but more importantly I need these bolts!! LOL! :?

Stealth had some high tensile bolts that I used on AP 4 pot conversion.....

They could drop a few in the post to you perhaps?

Any cap-head bolt of the correct size will do - they're all* hi-tensile steel.

*except those made out of aluminium, magnesium, brass... :)

Mike Edwards, what about the recommendation that they need to be at least 10.9 rated? all the ones I can see are 8.8

cheesewire, buttles, cheers guys.

Don't worry about it mate.... as Mike says most allen headed bolts are high tensile...

If you snap even a normal bolt under normal braking you're doing well!

Yeah - VAG use 10.9 for brake stuff and sometimes 12.9 for suspension altho I reckon 8.8 will be ok but you should change eveytime they get undone...

Watch out for stainless stuff as it is lower tensile (look for the A7-70 and A4-80 markings - both lower than 8.8) and don't use bolts with no markings at all!!!!!

right o, ok I may use 8.8 instead then. Cant see em getting undone anytime soon so shoulod be fine then, unless i manage to get some higher tensile stuff. Not going to do this weekend, got the DDI dials instead, so will fit the new brakes next weekend I think.