dinkus

The definitive 312mm brakes onto a VR thread

Hey after 2 months of waiting i'll hopefully be getting my braided hoses in the next week ... got the rest of the set up sitting on the bench in the garage and i'm still struggling to find the high tensile bolts needed for this conversion, kind of slipped my mind for a while but with the penultimate piece of the jigsaw on the way i'm itching to get them on.

Is it really only possible to get high tensile M12x40x1.5 12.9 bolts in cap head seems strange that there arent any hex head jobbies available? if so would any body be able to point me in the right direction of a fixings supplier that is able to sell just 4 of high tensile bolt that'll fit? thanks alot in advance!

Cheers

Andy

PM Dinky (Dinkus), he's in Newbury so fairly local, and he got some from somewhere.

I need some too, when you find a supplier

Nah - don't PM me I can't get them any more cos I moved house :lol:

Have a look in your Yellow Pages (paper one is best, the online one is pants) for a "fixings" retailer near you - they should be able to get what you want.

As said - you can probably find the hex-head versions, but cap-heads seem to be easier to get hold of.

cheers dinkus, i'll have another word with the local trade place, they might be able to at least order a batch... i'm sure other folks on here including therapor will be needing some seeing as its a relitively cheap brake upgrade - i'll put something up tomorrow when i've had a word

if you get stuck there was a good fixing place near me that I used to deal with, with they don't do mail order, i'd have to pick them up and drop them off for you.

gimme a shout and i'll give them a ring

I had a word with the place again and it seems i must have spoke to someone who didnt have a clue last time!

Dinkus you were right its difficult to get hold of the hex heads in that size and tensile strength, cap head only. The guy was dead helpful and suggested the best and cheapest plan of action was to get M12x1.5x45 bolts and turn them down and refinish them, i dont have access to a lathe but a frend does and will be able to do a few sets for me but not the whole box (they have a minimum cash order or £20) and its £29.99 + vat for 100 (not sure if theres gonna be that many people doing this upgrade) he has over 500 in stock whereas the 40pitch bolts will need to be ordered

To get hex heads at this size from them it'll require tooling and machining, with a £50 blanket fee to start with before you produce any bolts, obviously the more bolts we could order the less they'd cost, but quite frankly they're gonna be too much compared to the cap head.

Unless anyones got any other ideas i might order some in the correct thread length and just get a set for myself and therapor to be machined down, then people can just pm me and ask for bolts in the future?... i'll hopefully be able to bring them up to summer scorcher as well

Evening....

I popped into the fasteners place today and the guy looked in the non collected orders bin and hey presto... stumbled upon 40 of exactly the right bolts for this conversion, look to have a black protective coating on them as well, so i bought the lot, waiting on my spacers to be laser cut at work but i'll have 2 spare sets of 4 spacers (20mm Outside Diameter 12.25mm Inside Diameter 6mm deep) to the first 2 people who want them... free to the first 2 people who ask in this thread, i didnt pay for them anyway :D and 36 spare bolts just tell me if you want them... pm, i'll post them to you :D

I think its only fair therapor if i give you the first spare set of spacers, if you want them that is,

hope this helps guys, o and mods do you want me to take some pics to add to the wiki at each spet of the process seeign as this seems to be a popular conversion?

I which case, I'd be interested in a set of the bolts... :)

no problem mate, just pm me your address and i'll pop them in an envelope and send them to you

Right i finally got round to fitting these this weekend, i went for the combo of the TT callipers and carriers of of vehicle that had dont only 30k a full 6 set of goodridge braided hoses, Brembo vented 312 discs, EBC greenstuff pads and dot 5.1 fluid to really sort out the braking, with a standard engine atm i think it'll do :)

This was the standard set up

DSC00120.jpg

Shiney new bits

DSC00130.jpg

... they dont fit, it seems 16" BBS are a wee bit small for the 312s... i unfortunately painted everything first so i had to take them all off and file knuckle off the back of the callipers,

DSC00129.jpg

A very snug fit! they look cool imo 8) very pleased

newsetup.jpg

now i just have to fit the other 4 hoses in the week and hopefulyl should be ready to take it for a spin :D

Looking much better 8)

Just remember the pads take a while to bed in, so they're gonna be like using 2 bits of butter on the disk for the first few miles - don't expect them to work amazingly straight away. Once they do bed in you'll be shoving your face through the windscreen tho :lol:

Nice one Andy, glad you got them sorted in the end! They look great, really fill the wheels, pretty much how the 288's look in my speedlines at the minute 8)

I want your wheels!

I will be up for a set of spacers and bolts if you still have them? Thanks

Evening....

I popped into the fasteners place today and the guy looked in the non collected orders bin and hey presto... stumbled upon 40 of exactly the right bolts for this conversion, look to have a black protective coating on them as well, so i bought the lot, waiting on my spacers to be laser cut at work but i'll have 2 spare sets of 4 spacers (20mm Outside Diameter 12.25mm Inside Diameter 6mm deep) to the first 2 people who want them... free to the first 2 people who ask in this thread, i didnt pay for them anyway :D and 36 spare bolts just tell me if you want them... pm, i'll post them to you :D

I think its only fair therapor if i give you the first spare set of spacers, if you want them that is,

hope this helps guys, o and mods do you want me to take some pics to add to the wiki at each spet of the process seeign as this seems to be a popular conversion?

Im going to be going for 312's soon i reckon. I have the 288's on now with red stuff pads and goodridge hoses. To swap to 312's i know i need the 312 carriers but the calipers are the same as the 288's. Andy has given me the bolts and spacers i need. So whats left other than the bigger discs?

I have the calipers from the 288, the bolts and spacers and i need the carriers. Are the pads i have the 288's the right ones or do i need ones specific to 312? And what about my goodridge hoses, im guessing they are ok as they are fitted to the caliper which is the same one?

ok i've been asked a few questions on this so thought i'd put my own lil how to up here then its up to the mods if you wanna update the wiki

bear in mind this is for fitting 312's behind 16x7" bbs RXII's.... rob this might help you :)

You have to grind the callipers to get them to fit behind these wheels so i ground them down with a hand file as i couldnt find my angle grinder at the time, i had it clamped in a black and decker workmate and sat on it as well and just kept filing away with a coarse flat file for about an hour! (get a bigun it'll make it easier!) failing that if you have an angle grinder then take most of the material off with that and use a sanding pad to make it all smooth!

the bolts seem impossible to find as they're not a standard size and they need to be in 12.9 high tensile steel, if you pm me i'll give you my address and i'll send you 4 as i managed to find a local fixings manufacturer that had an uncollected special order that i could take off their hands, didnt cost me much so i just send them out to people on here who need them, havent got anymore spacers left though so ur gonna have to either speak nicely to a friend in an engineering firm and get them to machine them for you or space out with washers (use stainless so it doesnt rust down there!)... i'll post up my drawing i issued to our machine shop for anyone who wants it when i'm at work tomorrow

the choice of pads and discs is enormous but i went for the gsf brembo 312's and ebc greenstuff pads (spec late model mk3 vr6 as apparently the TT versions have wear sensors) mention club gti discount and you'll get 10% off

You need the corrado conversion braided hose kit by goodridge or another manufacurer to enable a corrado length front hose (TT hoses are too long and dangerous!!) to be used with a TT bango fitting on the end. I will never use C&R enterprises ever again after the abismal service i recieved (this is not slander it is a factual report of my dealings - 10 weeks to get a full set, paid for when ordered by phone, called them after a week and they'd put it in the back orders book instead of orders, then i phoned them 2 weeks later, still no sign... then i gave up and 9 weeks from paying the money i recieved a set of mk2 golf 4 hose kit through the post, i was then asked to send the set back and they'd send a set out, i finally recieved the set through 10 weeks after paying the money, i sent them back at cost to myself and i then phoned to demand the money i'd spent on recorded post be reembursed, they seemed not to know a thing and didnt want to know)

Brake fluid - halfords dot 5.1, £10 a litre or if you have a trade discount card (or know someone who does) its £3.50! 8)

just to give you a quick guide (appologies if i over simplfy but i'll try and explain the best i can)

1 - remove wheel (17mm hex head)

2 - remove old brake hose from pipe fitting in wheel arch - its easiest to slice through the rubber pipe near the nut and use a socket over the hex fiting (cant remember the size off the top of my head) at the end of the hose to get it off whilst holding th nut on the pipe with a screwdriver

3 - plug pipe off or just fit new hose and set the fluid run out into a container (you'll have to bleed them anyway so losing a bit of fluids ok)

4 - remove brake disc screw, calliper slide blts (6mm allen maybe?) and carrier bolts (18mm hex head) and remove the lot

5 - remove 3 bolts (8 or 10mm hex heads) and remove the splash guard (you can jsut bend it out the way or replace with a corresponding vag 312 one but its not really necessary)

*optional*

when replacing all this replace your abs sensor with a gsf item (identical to the vag one) as they are notorious for going and easier to do when you have the whole lot off. removing the old one is a bastard and i ended up removing the bolts and using a punch banging the hell out of them till they came out. the hole will need cleaned up with emmery cloth but it will be a tight fit to refit (use new vag bolts)

6 - fit new discs over hubs and locate carriers with the two hub mounting holes

7 - using the new bolts fit a spring washer to each bolt first then fed through the carrier into the 6mm spacer then into the hub

HOWTO.jpg

8 - fit new pads in the calliper and fit to the carrier and fir the new brake hose

9 - trial fit wheel to ensure no scraping

10 - tigthen all bolts and screws

11 - bleed the system

12 - refit wheel

13 - away you go

from this

DSC00120.jpg

DSC00151.jpg

has no ine considered the tarox kit for £600 arguably it uses 288mm disc but has the benifit of 4 or 6 pot calipers?

the whole lot cost me about £300 so it's a pretty cost effective upgrade... i'm sure the tarox stuff's good but isnt that about the same as it costs to upgrade to leon cupra r brembos?

o and appologies to the people who have asked so far and i havent responded/sent stuff out to, if you let us know again i'll get down to the post office and send some out