Kevin Bacon

Show us your drops

before and after :wink: KW coilovers, NO LONGER A BEACH BUGGY :grin:

IMG_0476.jpg

20080815_0145.jpg

The "2 finger job" is still the best imo.

Any lower and the geometry all goes to c0ck and the dampers run out of travel.

Here's a visual representation of a "2 finger job", that is to say, the amount of fingers you can squeeze between the arch and tyre.....as opposed to any other tight gaps :wink:

Dscf0007.jpg

you can get 2 fingers between my arch and tyre, it looks a bit closer due to the stretch and it being an early car with the narower arch flares, im possibly gonna raise it a bit though as it has not settled yet and it may be un practical for what i do use it for

VR6DropRearSide.jpg

Just had FK Sport Edition Plus coilies fitted last Thursday and the measurement from arch to floor is 58.5 cm front and 59.5 cm rear. I can't see how it's feasible to go lower like some of the drops I've seen because I'm actually thinking about raising it by 10 or 15 mil. The rear is not causing too many issues apart from the exhaust needs new rubbers to stop it slapping against the axle. On the front I've noticed scorch marks on the plastic inner arches from where the tyres have been hitting them and I've only done about 100 miles since they were put on. I've just upped the damping on the front from 4 to 5, so I'm expecting a particularly firm ride (ooh-er) tomorrow but I'm not totally convinced that it'll sort the problem.

My recent drop is on adjustable Koni shocks and 60mm springs. I fitted them myself never done it before not sure if I've done a good job. The rears are not as low don't know why? I didn't use compressors on them is this right? fronts look great I think, the shocks and springs are second hand and there is a little knocking going on, will this go away? anyway this is how it looks :D :D

STP81092.jpg

STP81093.jpg

STP81091.jpg

this is one that we are in the middle of doing some mild body mods to accomadate the set of new rims :cuckoo:

Photo004.jpg

sorry about the pic lol

Dropped mine about 4inches, the sump was 3cm off the floor! The back wont go any lower as its nearly sitting on the trailing arm i think it is...not sure! I wasnt about to get over speed bumps and also collected alot of grass at Edition38!

DSC00936.jpg

View under the front bumper from the side

DSC00924.jpg

Ive raised the front up about 20mm now as it was just far to dangerous with the sump being so low

my question to you all is, in real life, when you buy -40mm springs, do they actually lower the car 40mm or less? i have 2 corrados, one is on coilies, and is quite low, especially now its on 15s with 45s. the front splitter is 82mm off the floor and i caught my subframe on a speed bump at work. OUCH. i now wanna lower my other one on fixed springs, and the front splitter is 130mm off the floor, therefor to get over the speed bumps at work i need to drop it about 40mm, but in your experience is a 40mm drop actually 40mm? thanks

my question to you all is, in real life, when you buy -40mm springs, do they actually lower the car 40mm or less? i have 2 corrados, one is on coilies, and is quite low, especially now its on 15s with 45s. the front splitter is 82mm off the floor and i caught my subframe on a speed bump at work. OUCH. i now wanna lower my other one on fixed springs, and the front splitter is 130mm off the floor, therefor to get over the speed bumps at work i need to drop it about 40mm, but in your experience is a 40mm drop actually 40mm? thanks

Suspension sags, so your 40 may end up a little lower. This has been covered plenty in the suspension thread.

As for me, I am undecided over these two. Let me know what you think:

PearDropssm.jpg

or

twinpackeyes.jpg

decisions, decisions...

aye,dont wanna sound like an ass :lol:

but thats why i measured from wheel center to wheel arch,diffarent sized wheels/tyres will give strange results when measured to the floor. . .

exactly, i've just started reading through this post, i know its old but the same thing stuck me instantly. even how much air is in tyre can change things 5-10mm?????

surely the centre of wheel is best, the suspension strut almost finishing around there too?

I've been planning on lowering mine 40mm front & rear but after reading this thread, am i right in thinking that standard ride height shoud be around 67cm from ground to highest part of the wheel arch....if thats the case i'be just measured mine as 65.5cm rear & 62.5cm front, could mine be lowered already???? I always presumed mine was standard, what you reckon....

Cheers Andy

if thats true then mine has lowered 90mm on 40mm springs at the front?

i measured 580mm to the arch from the ground and i have standard VR speedlines :shock:

before & afters.... kit I used was H&R RSS Clubsports. Could go lower but i like how it handles now so dont want to spoil that :D

which newport you in mate?

Newport s.wales born and bread lol.

i moved up to hertford last year though..

Edit: Just noticed your newport edition logo, i used to go to the meets when i was back home went to ed38 07 with that lot

ok heres my 2

this is my g60 on standard ride height. centre of wheel to arch is 555mm. too high! and very floppy.soon to be lowered.

27022008473.jpg

this is my other with centre of wheel to arch of 515mm. apparently only -40mm then. but its slammed! i scraped my subframe on a speedbump in work. therefor not going any lower! its on koni fully adjustables. pretty harsh ride, but thats cos i got them pretty hard, very very good round corners tho. very good positive feel.

DSCF6320.jpg

DSCF7318.jpg

p.s. CDEM ur a nutter!! surely u dont even have suspension on that?!

which newport you in mate?

Newport s.wales born and bread lol.

i moved up to hertford last year though..

Edit: Just noticed your newport edition logo, i used to go to the meets when i was back home went to ed38 07 with that lot

I was going to invite you to the next meet..we had 80 vag group cars turn up recently, we meet at Rodney Parade now

:clap:

lol i know "sports coupe!" i was gonna slam it, but cant afford it atm now, been driving it like that for about 8 months! its so rediculously floppy!

well here is mine as you can see some subtle arch mods to cater for rims.... lol

got to lower front next even more the only prob is im not sure on how we are getting it out of the shop????

15122008074.jpg

15122008075.jpg

15122008076.jpg

15122008073.jpg

looking good mate, i do like corrados with pulled arches, loving the ring around the side indicator... just incase you forget where it goes?! lol

lol na im ditching the side repeaters.........

maybe in the future il get the R8 mirrors from cult society.. they have the indicator built in.

p.s. CDEM ur a nutter!! surely u dont even have suspension on that?!

I had to raise it up a bit again to fit on a recovery truck and ive also got 50 profile tyres on now instead on 45's so it sits higher....high enough for me to fit my 90mm splitter back on!