Sign in to follow this  
Trig

trig's 94 OBD2 VR6 - New Wheels!!!! (...finally)

Hello everybody & welcome to my pride and joy: 94 Dragon Green VR6!

I have owned this baby for over 3 months now, registered on the forum the day I bought her. It is fair to say that I am obsesed, current specs:

Engine: Standard 2.9VR6

Chassis: Standard setup

Exterior: Dragon Green Paint, colour coded door handles

Exhaust: Longlife with custom tailpipe

Alarm: Autowatch RLi160

All the above as of 4-10-2005

The exhaust and alarm have been fitted since purchase (due to the former not working!), running total of money spent: roughly £1000. I bought the car for £4000, at the time this seemed like a bargain - 125k, but I have seen some cheap cars around recently. I am still very happy though the bodywork is in extremely good condition, the engine runs fine despite the fact that the chains have not been done. The next things that I plan on forking out for (when I have the money) are:

koni/H&R suspension setup incl. full re-bush

new engine mounts

new plugs & leads

I really want to concentrate on getting the chassis sorted before looking at power and performance and it seems that the koni/H&R setup is the weapon of choice, and yes, I probably will drive up to stealth to get this work done, is this crazy?

I hope to keep this thread updated as much as possible with the work that I do on her (even though I have no mechanical experience), would love to hear all of your views and opinions, thanks to everyone that gives me advice and to all of those that will in the future!

So thats us, here are a few tasty morsels to wet your appetite, these were taken the day I picked her up so she was all standard then...

:cry:

Current Spec

:Engine Bay:

OBD2 Conversion

Bored OBD2 Throttle Body

Longlife SS Exhaust

Polished Inlet Manifold

Dynamat Hoodliner

:Exterior:

Clear Side Repeaters

Colour Coded De-Locked Handles

Colour Coded No. Plate Surround

De-Rear wipered

All red rear lights

Tinted headlights

Lupo Wipers

Door skinz

16x7 Compomotive MO's

:Interior:

Custom Mats

Red heater controls

Red Clocks

:Drivetrain:

Koni TA's

H&R Springs

JOM Lowering spring caps

6x Goodridge braided hoses

288mm front brakes with MK3 calipers

MK4 rear brakes

Pagid Fast Road Pads all round

:ICE & Secure:

Autowatch RLi160

:New & Replaced bits:

Lambda Probe

Throttle Body

Fuel Filter

All Solid Brake Lines

Headlight Switch

Handbrake Cables

Here are some pics of the new Longlife exhaust which I got on 16/09/05 becuase the old one was knackered. It is a Cat-Back system. This was fitted in plymouth, would definately recommend Longlife. The exhaust sounds really good I didn't want it to loud so it is nice and subtle, I think that the tailpipe really suits the C, they got this pipe in the day I was there so I am a pioneer of this pipe! The fit cost £385 - A bit more because of the tailpipe. - Oh and its got a lifetime guarantee, which is nice.

Also inlcude a picture of the OLD exhaust before it was taken out....

Thanks for all the coments guys... :( Maybe some new pics of what has been happening recently to the trig-mobile will entice you... :)

Colour Coded Door handles

Colour Coded Numberplate surround - looks so much better, everyone do this!

Colour Coded rear VW badge &...

Lupo wipers - what an improvement!

Next, Black front VW badge, CC side strips & still saving up for the Koni/H&R combo, Uprated Headlight Loom

where did you get the colour coding done mate?

is it easy to do?

car looks very tasty, I have fitted Koni suspension on my valver (not rebushed tho) the difference in handling WOW, immense

lookin good trigger, i've colour coded my handles and rear plate, looks a lot better than the matt black that it was

if you think the lupo wipers are good then get a headlight loom you'll be more than impressed ;-)

Ive not commented but I will now,

I do like the mods you have made and all are improovments

I think you had a good buy with your car in the first place too.

Cheaper isnt always better,I also liked the pic on axle stands for some reason,maybe Im thinking ouch thats going to cost what ever you were getting done,Looking forward to more pics.

Roy

Thanks for the comments guys.

Yeh...chains. :oops:

The pic on the axle stands was taken just before I bought the car, part of the deal was that the wheels were taken off and refurbed, I turned up to the garage that day hoping for another test drive and was greeted buy that wonderful sight! :shock:

Did the colour coding myself, all halfords stuff:- primer, paint + lacquer. Did it all from guides + discussions on this very forum! It is widely regarded that getting the numberplate surround off in one peice is nearly impossible but I managed it after a very patient hour!

Headlight loom: Added to to-do list! :)

GIXXERUK, Thunderbird 2 was always my favourite even though the other boys said it was too big... :cry:

Ok so i've been back from my long trip to Stealth for 2 days and I can report that I am very happy.

I had the Koni TA's and H&R springs fitted, so the car is approx 30mm lower, not too much but it fills some of the air in the arches! The handling is loads better, let me repeat: loads. A few days before going to Stealth I had my first experience of sloppy handling on standard suspension going round a tight corner, there is no sign of it now. I am really pleased and Stealth have done a great job.

All of the clunks and groans at slow speed on full lock have dissapeared, it feels great! :thumb right:

The job cost about £670 (seasonal discount included) this included bumpstops & top mounts. Quite a bit of money but definately worth it IMO and thanks to anyone who ever recommended em!

Bad news from the trip is that as expected, my ECU is knackered. The ECU has been causing my car to overfuel which is a real bugger. I've decided to take this opportunity (with advice from kev) to convert to OBD2. A new ECU is way to much and second hand ones don't come up much so its a blessing in disguise. The whole conversion will barely cost more than a new OBD1 ECU!

So thats all for now, I know what your thinking - this is a gallery! Pics coming this weekend!

Good to hear you're pleased with the suspension, that's a very good setup!

That's bizarre about the ECU, not heard of that happening before. Did Vince have any idea what part of the ECU was faulty? Quite interested to know!

OBD2 is a good move, you'll be pleased with that. Give me a shout if you need any help with it 8)

Ok here are a few tasty treats, brought foward thanks to the weather...

After sledging home from work I decided to get the old girl out for a photshoot!

Tis a lovely motor indeed. Nice standard, clean looking VR6's are my absolute favourite. This ticks all the boxes for me :)

Thanks Jim, I want to keep it pretty standard. As I said before the Speedies have had a refurb so it really helps keep a good standard look. 8)

kev, dunno if Vince knew exactly what was wrong with the ECU, he just tried a golf one and it worked ok.

OBD2 is on the way, thanks to bigpants baby who is providing me with most of the stuff needed for a great price. Just need to save up for the Stealth bill & drive up there... again. I kind of get the feeling i'm going to get used to that 500 mile round trip...! :roll:

Nice looking car fella- Its amazing how much these things cost to keep on the road though!!! BTW you didn't mention it but did you get the rear axle bushes done? thats kinda critical at that mileage though I am sure Vince would have mentioned it!

Slightly OT- I'm looking to haul my car down to Stealth for rebushing etc, how do you occupy yourself for a whole day in Southam without being able to drive anywhere? or do I just need to take a good book?

Cheers

Mike

Didn't get the bushes done, I did speak to Vince about it but he said he'd only do them if they needed it. If i've got enough money i'll get some bushes done next time i'm up there!

I was with my girlfriend (much to her disgust) whilst at Stealth spent the whole day in town and I can report the ONLY pub worth going to is 'The Old Mint'. 'The Black Dog' has patrons that look (and smell) like black dogs so don't bother with that one. If I was on my own i'd take a book. :)

How do you convert to OBD2? Whats involved, and how much is it?

Nice car dude, nice pics too, you uploaded them to be on the forum banner? ;)

Thanks stan, i've donated a couple of pics for the banner.

Firstly anything I know about OBD2 I have been told by kev so check the Supercharged VR6 thread (or ask him) if you want to know more!

You need a new OBD2 (From Golf VR6) ECU, Engine loom, Key, Coil Reader, Imobiliser transponder box & loom, lambda probe and throttle body. I managed to get most of these parts cheap but expect to pay £2-300. The pricey bit is getting the conversion done, Vince at Stealth is the man to do it (he did kev's) and it is a full days work.

Taken the car off the road for a month (at least), i've been given my bro's pug 205 to drive so I thought i'd treat the C to the garage for a while and keep her out of the cold and rain! Nice to not have to pay the car tax right now as well!

Anyway, while she's in the garage it gives me a chance to do a few jobs that I can take my time over. Started off easy today and de-wipered the rear, read a few threads on this and seen a few pictures, much prefer the look of no wiper & I hardly ever used it anyway. Job took me 10 minutes max, the hardest part is getting the motor out, involves a lot of twisting until you get the right angle!

So here are some before and after pics, I took a few pics do I could do a 'how to' guide eventualy but it's a pretty simple job so i'm not sure if its really neccessary..?

EDIT: Still need to go to Halfords and get a set of rubber bobbins to plug the hole.

Well at the moment we don't know what the gain will be like on N/A. The reason i'm doing it is because my OBD1 ECU is knackered anyway, and to replace (with a new one) would cost the same as the OBD2 conversion & parts. Second hand ECU's are few & far between. OBD2 is the obvious route, more measuring blocks in VAG-COM and a more modern aproach to engine management.

I think kev got considerable improvements changing to OBD2 with his supercharged VR6, I hope to get improvements too but I don't think anyone has done it before on a standard VR6.

bigpants baby has all the parts waiting for me apart form the throttle body which I am still on the lookout for.

tigger, if you need a rubber bit to put into that hole, if you havent gotten one already.. pop the trunk of the car and look on either side of the hatch, there should be 2 round holes with rubber bits in them, take one of those rubber bits and fill the hole.

or thats what I did and it worked..

VW part number is 411 963 259 its a 20mm plug

cheers

Thanks for the tip potatonet, I did read that on another thread. :)

I've bought a selection of rubber grommets form halfords now, 19mm one did the trick, 20m would have been perfect. Blob of mastic and it's all done. Decided not to colour code it, it'd look a bit naff I think.

triggermyson, thats a lovely car mate. i have to admit to being a bit of a colour snob (black, black or black is best) but your motor looks stunning. and the speedlines really suit it. are you still keeping them on?