Sign in to follow this  
Trig

trig's 94 OBD2 VR6 - New Wheels!!!! (...finally)

Check out the Knowlege Base for guides on tinting the lights and removing the wiper (I wrote them both), although I haven't finished the lgihts guide yet, will do on Saturday!

IMO it's all about the little final touches on the Corrado, the stuff that should have been done in the first place, colour coding, red lights, better wipers, lower etc. etc.

Even 12 hours isn't bad going. I just couldn't bring myself to pay someone £40 per hour to do anything on my car.

Yes we're well aware of that....

Jeez, sorry I spoke.

Trigger, I'm sure it's going to turn out to be well worthwhile and I'm sure plenty of others here will follow suit.

LOL.... well by your own admission you couldn't give two hoots about your car! :-)

Trigger, yep, I'm fairly confident you'll be pleased with the conversion and it's a good foundation for future mods. OBD2 is soooo much easier to tune and much more efficient.

I'm sure i'll be pleased with it. My car is still a little down on power & overfuleing at the moment due to my boogered ECU, the switch to OBD2 will sort that out and hopefully more. Better efficiency is great as well as the VAG-COM benefits.

kev, I saw the differences that OBD2 made to your RR figures, I gather OBD1 wasn't taking full advantage of the supercharger? Do you think i'll get power & torque increases on my standard VR?

LOL.... well by your own admission you couldn't give two hoots about your car! :-)

Ahhhh, not true. I love the car but I'll never pretend it's not worthless. In fact I spent an hour under it today and changed the three engine/gearbox mounts. I'll be replacing the PAS pump tomorrow morning and changing to the later two-pulley system also. I've also got two new rear tyres in the garage waiting to be fitted. Impressed?

This is just the start really. The last two years of neglect have resulted in a rather dangerous car (proving the MOT system to be crap) and it's been one near-miss too many. Unfortunately I'm really not in a position to be able to pay people to do the work for me so it can only be done when I can find the money for the parts and the time. Fortunately, although I'm not the ultimate mechanic, I have aquired the tools and the skills to handle most things on a 16v Corrado :)

I'll bow down to anyone, like yourself and Trigger, who respects their car enough to keep on top of the maintenance at whatever cost :thumbleft:

I think I'm just too fussy..... the slightest little issue needs immediate attention or I get stressed! Your valver looks nice enough in the pics and all Rados need a bit of TLC ;-) Unfortunately I don't have the advantage of alternative transport, so the Rado needs to be tip top or I don't get paid!

Trigger, OBD2 runs at peak tune all of the time, which is why no one bothers remapping a standard OBD2. In 2.8 guise they make 185-190 bhp as standard, which is the same as the OBD1 2.9! OBD1 where chargers are concerned just doesn't have the same level of lambda and knock control and doesn't cope with forced induction as well as OBD2.

OBD2 also has a smaller diameter throttle and a more restrictive manifold, which speeds up the gas flow for better torque. Have a look at my torque curve in the S/C VR6 thread and you'll see my engine makes the same torque at 2500rpm with OBD2 as an OBD1 2.9 makes at 4600rpm as a peak! By 3000 rpm, it's making 40lb/ft more than an OBD1 2.9 and it's not even making boost at that point!

I've not driven my OBD2 normally aspirated so I'm keen to see what you think of it when done. OBD2 2.9s are rarer than a rare thing on a rare old day.... I really must have a spin in it to see what it's like and you can drive mine in return ;-)

I really must have a spin in it to see what it's like and you can drive mine in return ;-)

Sounds like a better deal han Delia Smith being dealt a great deal by a dealer, It would be an honour :)

Changed my fuel filter today, don't expect it's ever been done. No pictures of what the old one looks like as I don't have a hacksaw to open it up but here it was before I took it out... That's WD40 on there not fuel that's sprayed everywhere!

(Wiki Article Here)

Here are a couple of pictures of my OBD2 inlet manifold. Have been polishing it for just over a week, I estimate it's taken about 6 hours so far. I'm not going for a perfect 'A20LEE' finish, just want to clean it up & as it was sitting round thought i'd give it a go - it doesn't cost anything after all! I also have no intention of turning it into a show car!

Dunno about all the plastic going back on, not sure how to get around this with respect to the leads...

I have been using a detail sander with 60 grit paper & A drill with some abrasive attachments. Also used a bit of wire wool and some Autosol polish stuff.

You can see the left hand inlet is pretty much done as is the back of the manifold near the TB. Close up shows that the finish isn't great but it is more than good enough for me.

Coolio

I can't wait to have a gander at your car mate

*before you ruin it by changing the wheels lol*

I fear the car isn't quite as good as the pictures make it look! It does have a few very small blemishes and the odd bit of scuffed paintwork. Need to find someone to take the little dents out methinks.

The speedlines are probably the best bit TBH they are pretty much flawless. I certainly wouldn't sell them if I got new wheels. If I can't get the Vento Challenge Cup Speedlines I will just stick with standard Speedlines and get the 288mm brakes I think.

I fear the car isn't quite as good as the pictures make it look! It does have a few very small blemishes and the odd bit of scuffed paintwork. Need to find someone to take the little dents out methinks.

The speedlines are probably the best bit TBH they are pretty much flawless. I certainly wouldn't sell them if I got new wheels. If I can't get the Vento Challenge Cup Speedlines I will just stick with standard Speedlines and get the 288mm brakes I think.

Trigger - if you find someone local that does dent removel let me know as I have loads :cry: :cry: :cry:

Polishings looking good. I might have found someone that does powder coating for some beers so thinks I will give the rocker cover a go.

Will do Tim. Aren't you getting a respray cheap somewhere? Maybe they do dent removal as well?

Thanks Andy, progression is slow but good IMO. I'm going to spend the next year concentration on sorting the car out properly before adding any more power into the equation. New brakes all round are a must and probably next on the list.

So has anyone got any ideas about how I can get rid of the plastic cover all together and locate the HT leads somewhere whilst keeping it all tidy..? As I understand it they can go under the inlet manifold...

Ok finished doing the inlet manifold. As I said before i'm not trying to get it perfect, and it isn't. But it is a lot better then the normal grey stained manifold and I guess it'll brighten up the engine bay a bit when its fitted! I'm not planning on polishing anything else right now.

I'll bring the manifold as it is along to the Cornwall meet this Sunday 19th so everyone can have a look. :)

Thanks,

TBH I don't think i'll ever polish anything ever again, it was a right frickin hassle! double-6s, you'll need to collect all the rest of the OBD2 stuff for it to be any use to you mate! :)

EDIT: No polishing with the exception of paintwork, got some Meguiars NXT wax today so the car is going to be seriously shiny on Sunday...

Sorry to keep bumping my thread up but I just gave the beast a clean and i'm quite proud! I actually think I am adicted to taking pictures of my car, it's pathetic! (me not the Rado!).

Gave her a good clean with some old car wash soap and then cracked open the Meguairs NXT wax, what a result. Used it with the Meguiars Cloth thing and there's an amazing shine (pics do the talking) aside from the little dings and chips here and there it looks like i've had a respray! So I highly reccommend the stuff. :thumbleft:

Also the whole job only took me 90 minutes. I'll go over the black plastic tomorrow with some shoe polish I think..

I reckon you could almost draw a map of my street from the reflections in the pictures! A prize to the person who can tell me the make and model of the car parked next to mine. :)

Looking V clean 8)

Apparently peanut butter is the best thing to get rid of wax deposits on your plastics ;)

When you tinted the tops of your lights did you give it a coat of lacquer?

Also noticed that you have the old forum stickers rather than the new ones :roll: ;)

Crunchy or smooth?! :)

Yeh I did lacquer the top and bottom. It came out a little orange peely actually so i'm thinking about getting some more and rubbing them down with a little 1200 wet and dry before.

Are they old ones? It's the same as logo in the corner of the screen...?

I would guess that its a vauxhall vectra..nice work too 8)

the best thing for plastics is the sutoglym stuff. its liquid smooth 8)

nice work too :)

the best thing for plastics is the sutoglym stuff. its liquid smooth

Ah ok, might aquire some of that tomorrow in that case.

Not a Vectra i'm afraid, think old people...