Sign in to follow this  
Trig

trig's 94 OBD2 VR6 - New Wheels!!!! (...finally)

Thanks guys. :)

I was thinking about a remap but moneys tight now and i'd be better saving that for if I supercharge it in a year or two... ;)

VR6, originally total cost for parts was £220 but hopefully i'll get most of that back when I sell the stuff that came off. Turned out the OBD2 lambda was knackered though so Vince fitted a brand new one @ £70 + VAT, so about £300 for parts in the end. Then Vince charged me £500 (+VAT) for labour although I think he put a lot more than 12 hours into it in the end what with all the loom issues.

24V Renshaw, aye that's a good point.... smug 24v bastards! :lol:

NickVR6, i'll make the effort to try and get to a meet of some sort this summer, or you could some down to one of our SW meets?! :)

i'll make the effort to try and get to a meet of some sort this summer

CONVOY!!! :thumbleft:

24V Renshaw, aye that's a good point.... smug 24v bastards! :lol:

LOL :lol: At least it cost you a whole lot LESS mate ;)

Ok here's a nice shot of my engine bay with the OBD2 manifold which I spent hours polishing a few months ago..! I've taken off the plastic engine cover, yet to find out what difference this will make to the noise of the engine - i'm thinking about painting it black and putting it back on though.

Also a pic of what it looked like before so you can appreciate the difference!

Thanks guys, really feel like i'm getting there with the car now! Feels so much more 'sorted' after the OBD2. :)

I want to sort out my brakes next but am probably going to wait until i've got NickVR6's speedlines new wheels first so I can fit 312mm discs. ;)

Yeh definately...

/maths mode

Before OBD2 I was getting an average of 26mpg so that's 390 miles to a full tank which costs about £50. £50 (full tank) is now getting me 525 miles. Which means (roughly) every 1500 miles i'm saving £50... 20k later and it's paid for itself! :)

And that's not to mention the other benefits.

Pictures coming tomorrow night after SW meet. ;)

:oops:

Shameless I know, but I have to post up a couple of todays Cornwall/SW meet in my members gallery...

Thanks to Valerian & vincent vr6 for the last 2 pictures...

Before OBD2 I was getting an average of 26mpg so that's 390 miles to a full tank which costs about £50. £50 (full tank) is now getting me 525 miles. Which means (roughly) every 1500 miles i'm saving £50... 20k later and it's paid for itself! :)

Jeez where on earth you getting petrol for £50 for a full tank Trig? That mpg sounds too good to be true tbh. Thats 44mpg...ish. I'd expect a 1.4l car to do that, not a 2.9l. :)

Jeepers? 525 miles of a tank? I get about 340 out of mine? (was that in one journey?)

You absolutely sure they didn't swap your vr for a Diesel lump? :lol:

TBH it does sound to good to be true but...

On the convoy blast back from Widemouth Bay today (we weren't hanging about) I got 37.2MPG!!! I wouldn't believe it but the fuel needle seems to be backing it up, it is definately using less fuel! :D

Yeh, should be more like £60 for a tank.. :oops: I never fill her up really so it's all theoretical.

very nice car :thumb right:

I im boggled by the great gas mileage you are getting. I knew the OBDII was easier to tune via chip tunning but I didn't think it would make that kind of difference.... that is better gas mileage than my MK1

gaz, PMSL, that's brilliant! :lol:

PiercedWinky, i'm boggled by it too...!

young dub, thanks - no still using standard fogs, they seem to be lasting quite well!

Trig, have you worked the mpg out the old fashioned way? i.e completely draining the tank, fill it up, reset trip counter and then seeing how miles you get?

I think the OBD2 injector timings are slightly different to OBD1 (shorter), which throws the MFA. For example, on my charger chip, the injector timings are 40% shorter, which means my MFA shows 58mpg at 70mph. 40% off that = 36mpg.

I only get between 250-300 miles a tank at the moment! Going to have to slow down a bit now that Optimax etc is so expensive.

have you worked the mpg out the old fashioned way? i.e completely draining the tank, fill it up, reset trip counter and then seeing how miles you get?

No, but I think that is probably the next thing to do...

I do know that on the way up to Stealth I put £40 in on a 1/8 full tank and when I got there I was left with a 1/8 full tank. On the way back down I put another £40 in and I was left with 1/4 of a tank whn I got home - So that all adds up. I know it isn't a very accurate way to judge how much fuel i'm using as the needle fluctuates a lot depending on hills etc. but i'm pretty sure i'm putting less fuel in the car at the moment!

I'll report back any more findings! :)

I do know that on the way up to Stealth I put £40 in on a 1/8 full tank and when I got there I was left with a 1/8 full tank. On the way back down I put another £40 in and I was left with 1/4 of a tank whn I got home - So that all adds up.

Yeah, but your car was over fuelling on the way up - some of the reason why you had the conversion ! :p

Exactly what I was thinking Kev, what with the change to OBD2 the MFA could well be out. 44mpg is never realistic!

andy, I didn't say i'm getting 44MPG, 39 at best. If my full tank figure was out I apologise...

Walesy, yeah the car was overfueling but I never got more than 34MPG before the ECU packed up. I don't think an extra 5MPG is that unthinkable, especially when you experience how smooth the car feels.

As I said I appeared to have an extra 1/8 tank (roughly 2 gallons) on the return journey. Before OBD2 on my overfueling VR 250 miles would be 9 gallons of fuel (28MPG) now 250 miles is more like 6.7 gallons = roughly 1/8 of a tank extra.

I've just done 40 miles in her today and the needle has hardly moved.

I should also add that apart from the odd high rev overtake I drive around in 5th gear all the time, even over roundabouts etc. :)

andy, I didn't say i'm getting 44MPG, 39 at best. If my full tank figure was out I apologise...

Indeedy you didn't say 44mpg, that was my rough workings out! I'm genuinely curious about the differences you're seeing though. It would be useful if you do what Kev suggested measure it the old fashioned way. My Corrado is off the road for rear bush replacement and I've got a little 1.2 Clio runaround thats doing 48mpg comfortably, it was when I saw your figs I thought hang on thats not much worse than the Clio... I thought maybe there was a way to run a VR6 more economically!