Sign in to follow this  
Trig

trig's 94 OBD2 VR6 - New Wheels!!!! (...finally)

Fill her up to the brim. drive for 200 miles and fill her up again. Work out the differences.

From there you have your known consumption over a known distance,

As for overfueling on the run up to stealth and reading 34mpg. :shock: I have only seen 34mpg once in mine and that was on a busy but moving trip down the M4 at a steady 70mph. Usual is 24/6 depending on what mood Im in.

Actually, Trigs might not actually be that far off his initial measurements..... just reread my post from earlier and I'm getting 58mpg - 40% at a steady 70mph which = 35mpg. Now that's with a charger and a shorter final drive!

I will stress though, that only ever shows on the MFA when on part throttle at a steady cruise where the charger is doing nothing, the boost guage in vacuum. I don't get anywhere a 35mpg average (closer to 25), just every so often under certain conditions :-)

With Trig's standard gearing and light foot, 39mpg @ 70(?) could be feasible. OBD2 is very efficient....mainly because the Lambda has a bigger adaptation scope and is faster acting....plus the front bank's injectors run leaner than the rear bank's. OBD1 just gets a flat rate fuel delivery across all 6.

As the large blue and white stripey supermarket say, every little helps.

Fill her up to the brim. drive for 200 miles and fill her up again. Work out the differences.

I'll fill her up tomorrow and commence testing...

If it turns out my MFA readings are right it'll be a big selling point for OBD2! Get those looms whilst you can people! :)

Jeepers? 525 miles of a tank? I get about 340 out of mine? (was that in one journey?)

You absolutely sure they didn't swap your vr for a Diesel lump? :lol:

I get about 340 to a tank too, works out an average of 25mpg-ish, pretty shit. Wish mine did 40MPG! :shock:

I have to say, I reckon I wasn't far off 340 when my car was overfueling! So either i'm very light on the throttle or you guys are very heavy... and Zippy, i've seen your service station driving!

If it turns out my MFA readings are right it'll be a big selling point for OBD2!

Exactly

Since you're the guinea pig , get on with the experiments! :)

:D Service stations count as private roads.

Sorry if my post came across as abrupt, and I hope for your sake that you are getting high MPG figs, it just amazes me to see that something as simple as engine management on can make such a huge difference on 2 of the same lumps.

My old storm did 40 to the gallon on the MFA once, but I cheated and coasted down a big hill to do that...

I've been busy this morning....

My new hoodliner and door 'skinz' arrived from Audioscape yesterday.

Have fitted the driver door skin and the hoodliner. Pretty pleased with both outcomes. The skinz stuff is excellent quality and reall sticky, hope I never have to take it off!

Doing the hoodliner was ok, I achieved pretty good results from cutting it with some large scissors. The hard bit was getting the glue off. James provided me with some evil cleaner/thinner stuff that did a good job of thinning the glue so I could use a plastic scraper.

Under the bonnet looks so much better now, the old foam was falling off and complete crap, now it's nice and shiny!

In the process of testing my MPG still. Only done 150 miles since I filled up but should do some more in the nexct couple of days so we can see how much unleaded goes back in again. The needle is displaying just below 3/4 of a tank...

Piccies...

Thanks mate! I would definately prefer to keep the bling under the bonnet, stealth style! My leather (when I get it will be bling though!).

Finally decided on tan with black piping. I think it'll go with the green really well & the piping breaks up the colour a bit.

No i'll keep the carpets and trim black. Retrim the doorcards and obviously the seats. Probsably be towards the end of the summer when I get round to doing it/save up.

triggermyson, whats the stuff you used to get the glue off the bonnet called??btw im getting 39mpg from my lowly obd1 vr6 :)

No idea what it's called, £6 for a litre. It came in a white tin with 'Cleaner, thinnner' scrawled on the side like it had been distilled out the back of Audioscape! It's visible in the first picture on the previous page.

39MPG that's good! Is that a one off peak trip or an average??

that was on a trip to manchester airport and back,probably around 100 miles in total,the mpg never went under 38mpg until i opened her up for a quick blast,other than that i was sitting at 80mph most of the way(nervous girl passenger)

Looks very nice bud, how much did the hood liner set you back? its a job very near the top of the 'things to do' list

Finally decided on tan with black piping

Made your mind up then :) decided im goin with a satin finish black leather for the wings and head rest, with a tan alcantara centre section and door cards

Torn between startin the turbo conversion and interior retrim for the winter now :)

with a tan alcantara centre

Did you just change that from Royal Blue?! Not mind your mind up yet then?! :lol:

dazzyvr6, good results then. I got up to 41MPG the other day and it was only a 20mile trip. Whether it's acurate or not still remains to be seen...