Sign in to follow this  
Dr Forinor

Todays Corrado

Right, what I mean by this is, what car today, would you consider to be a "Corrado". A "Corrado" meaning it's fairly rare, has the looks and the engine/chassis to back it up, and something that might be respected in the years to come?

Which current car would you place this tag on, if any?

Keeping in mind, I don't mean a supercar, cheaper than £30k I suppose (going according to the prices of the C when it was out).

EDIT: This is the "refined question", put forward by kevhaywire.

Which 2 door Coupe can you buy today which has the same all round ability and appeal as the Corrado and will age well and be as highly regarded in years to come as the C is now?

Annoyingly the Chrysler Crossfire could be very comparable to the Corrado.

Electric spoiler, V6 engine, built at Karmann in Osnabruck, sporty coupe and not very common on the roads. Shame its so damn ugly though!

Civic Type R rare!!! bloody hell, they are all I see on the roads!! ;)

good topic though, can't really seem to put a good answer forward...

350Z mebbe

hrmmm...

The Golf R32 would have to be up there.....made limited numbers....very subtle looking (people don't really know how quick they are, much like the C).....pretty quick on the A roads especially, lovely engine tone with a Milltek fitted. Well respected even in the non-VW world. They were even being hailed on a Mercedez forum that I stumbled across. And best of all, strap a supercharger to them and you've got a super-car destroyer. If I could afford it i'd certainly lock one up to bring out in years to come. Love 'em.

RS Focus and Integra Type R (DC5) get my vote. Both are focused, 2 door coupes and FWD, so have a lot in common with the Corrado.

Both are very rare also.

Whilst not rare, I also nominate the Impreza and Evo as ground breaking cars for the money.

The V6 Clio - yes, especially as they've stopped production. The Civic Type R - No.....too common (especially in Swindon)....although I do respect them alot - all that power from a 2.0L naturally aspirated engine. Not sure if 350Z's will be rare enough cos they're VERY popular. The C was overpriced so not many were sold.

Basically the C fits the perfect formula for a future classic! It's all things to all men!

the teg DC5 is only available thru import isn't it?? - although it is a quality piece of kit

Lippy

350z and rx8 get my vote, although theres a fair few rx8's about its got an unusual engine like the vr6 which has many fans plus the interiours miles ahead of the 350z.

If it has to have looks as special as the C, IMO that leaves out the Focus, the Hondas, Golf R32 and Clio.

Leaves Datsun :wink: 350Z for me.

350Z is RWD tho, so that rules it out more then other models IMO.

I would defo say more along the lines of an Integra R/Focus RS/Leon R/Clio V6

The reason why I am not thinking of the Integra Type R is because it is not as complete a package as the Corrado is, the Corrado can be used for both trackdays and for cruising, you'd be hard pressed to use your Integra as your daily cruiser.

Yep, I'm with Sam. I assumed we were talking 'like minded' coupes, i.e. 2 door and FWD. The other cars mentioned, although very good in their own right, don't share much with the C's platform.

Yeah the DC5 integ is import only, which makes it rare ;-) Honda deliberately didn't sell it here for fear of damaging sales of the British built Civic Type R.

The Focus RS. I adore that car and I happen to think it's a nice looking machine. Moody and aggressive. The Crocus platform is a proven one and they handle well, plus it ticks all the 'keen driver' options.....AP racing brakes and clutch, turbo, quaife, SACHS racing dampers etc etc. The integ also has the Brembos and an LSD too.

Leon....nah. It's 5 door for a start and most defo not a coupe. Clio is mid engined, but a great car (in MK2 guise) all the same.

Perhaps the original question should be refined to "Which 2 door Coupe can you buy today which has the same all round ability and appeal as the Corrado and will age well and be as highly regarded in years to come as the C is now?" To which I'd personally answer, Integ DC5....and the Focus. The Focus was Ford's leap back into the performance market and a rebirth of the RS brand.... if only I could afford one as a second car.

Perhaps the original question should be refined to "Which 2 door Coupe can you buy today which has the same all round ability and appeal as the Corrado and will age well and be as highly regarded in years to come as the C is now?" To which I'd personally answer, Integ DC5....and the Focus. The Focus was Ford's leap back into the performance market and a rebirth of the RS brand.... if only I could afford one as a second car.

Let's go with that one then Kev, sounds good.

Teg DC5 and 350Z.

Agree with chrishill that the RX8 interior is vastly superior to the Z though. The Z interior really lets it down.

Oh yeh, Monaro too(in either VXR or standard guise). Know it's a bit more pricey, but they're gonna be like hen's teeth in a few years and they're brilliant!