Sign in to follow this  
NickVR6

Brakes on fire

Ignoring my headlight problem and missing my car after 2 days of the train i wtf'd it and ragged the raddo into work.

Walking to the ticket machine an old lady pointed to my rear wheel and said my car was on fire, low and behold one the rear brakes had smoke pooring off it!!!!

Turns out its a seized rear calliper. fecking yawn yawn, ive been through double figure rear callipers on mk1s and 2s and now the c's doing it.

I was under the impression that the VRs had "anti seize" rear callipers, so what exactly does that mean then!?????????????????? :evil: :mad: :mad:

Yes they are supposed to be better.

I'd check the rear brake hose on the torsion arm behind the wheel. When the collapse inside the brake pressure cannot easily decrease quickly after a brake application. So the pads stick on.

Easy to check before ripping it all apart. With the car on the ground, open the calipers bleed nipple. Brake fluid should flow out, very slowly under gravity, almost a weep. Do this when the car hasn't been used for a few hours - 8 to 10 say to allow any residual pressures to back feed. If no weeping flow, press the brake pedal as though you are bleeding the brakes and close the nipple before releasing the pedal. Now open the nipple again, if still no weeping flow, start looking at the hose as the possible problem. If you find one like this the other side won't be far behind, so do both.

The rubber brake hose may be almost totally collapsed internally. No outward sign usually but the outer hose rubber surface may be "wet" like condensation.

I had this on my G60. Had my standard G60 brakes (golf mk2 design) changed for Alloy Mk4 ones. I do not know whether you can do the same kind of conversion for a VR

Cheers

Woody

had the same thing happen to me,the rear disc was glowing red,i changed mine before the mk4 calipers conversion came about

You can fit mk 4 to as VR as they use the same stub axle and caliper carrier assembly as both the G60 and the 16v.

Sorry to hear you are having yet more grief mate.

yup, had this on all 3 of my 'rados now... :roll:

I'm running MKIV on J-DUB and MKIII on H-YYU, but I'll soon be upgrading to MKIV on H-YYU when I get chance to put 'em on... 8)

As said above, MKIV will fit all Corrados, but don't forget that you need an adaptor flexy hose to fit 'em properly! ;)

As far as I know the VR rear callipers are not fully alloy which can cause the same probs as the mrk 2 calipers. Mrk iv rears are full alloy callipers and are less prone to seizing.

Douse them in lots of PlusGas over night and get yourself a nice big breaker bar.

and use a good quality 8mm hexagon bit in your socket. There's a lot of rubbish tools around these days and a marginally undersized bit will slip and wreck the Allen screws. Also make sure that the bit is driven (hammered) fully into the recess of the Allen screws. What I did was to apply a steadily increasing torque to the socket handle and at the same time hammer the back of the socket/bit into the recess. All 4 came undone without rounding the screw head. It's worth putting new screws in for the sake of a few pounds.

Best wishes

RB

RB that sounds like a do it yerself impact wrench to me..

..top tip but I would use a rubber mallet to save your socket handle.

Can I also be anal and point out that all alloys do corrode, just in the case of pure aluminium it provides a protective layer against oxidisation.

And no, nothing you will ever buy will be pure aluminium it will always be an alloy of some composition usually consisting of magnesium and copper.

Cadmium coating helps but this only provides a sacrificial coating to corrode instead of the steel - cad corrosion is also highly carcinogenic (looks like a fine white/grey powder)

So as such mk 4 calipers will corrode and potentially sieze in time.

Little :offtopic1: :wink:

top tip but I would use a rubber mallet to save your socket handle.

well I didn't mean, "Beat the bejazzus out of it with a three pound club hammer", but the point is taken. Perhaps a copper mallet would be a good compromise but probably not an item in most people's kit.

Best wishes

RB

HEY HOO, f..king b..tard bo..ocks I've been done right up the Gary again.

Calliper was foobar btw, but ill be doing the pipes as well cheers guys.

The sh.t bit ........Got everything off, lovely jubley. Brushed everything up, copper greased things smiling like an idiot went to put the new calliper on, ummm NO! Its 1cm too narrow to go over the brake pads FULLY wound back in, and a cm is quite a lot, too much for mallet time.

I compared the new and old callipers wondering if it was the new green stuff pads but the calliper castings are a good cm narrower on the new ones so they wont fit.

I now mk4s fit so i should stress that these are not vag ones!! The callipers are Guttmann ones from euro car parts and they supplied the green stuff pads too.

Would be right in thinking that maybe these £39 callipers were'nt worth the saving over the vag items? Or have i missed something in the fitting??

But it says corrado vr6 on the fecking box!!

Luckily i hav'nt actually paid for any of it yet, so im keeping all the pads and they can have the calliper back plus no money. Im so tired of being given rubbish and wasting most of the weekend, now having to take a day off work they can go roll one for all i care. but they wont be getting the pads back, or any money this time!

Got my TB fitted though, which is far more important than brakes imo !! lol

cry!

Im so tired of being given rubbish and wasting most of the weekend

Thats why I buy VAG parts only now - I've had so many parts from ECP that don't fit, like you say it's the time wasted that you'll never get back...!

and its a 40 mile drive! I even get them to double check the part out of the box and tell me to my face its right!

I stopped using G&S because they kept giving me the wrong parts. Thats down to the "new owners" of the local franchise though I will say. The last lot were car enthusiasts, ie they knew what a car was.

I accidently dropped the new calliper when i realised it would'nt fit, twice!

Straight into vag tommorrow!

Yeah, i forgot that so i wouldnt be able to finish the job today anyway.

Any idea what kit i ask for? Bearing in mind I will probably be talking to a dime bar? Or any idea whos best to post me a set pdq?

Sorry to hear you're having more hassle mate, but if you'd wanted an easy life you'd have bought a Corolla!

Hope you get it sorted soon though buddy...