Sign in to follow this  
no_endo

help with buying a vr6

ive just been to see a 94 vr6 which has had 9 owners. the car looks lovely, its had a lower milage engine put in with proof, all electrics work ok. i cant really see any problems with it apart from the 9 owners! and the guy selling it owns his own garage. would this put alot of you off buying it? im planinng on keeping it for a while as a kind of project so i dont want one that gives me too much trouble.

C's do tend to have a few owners mate, I wouldnt be out off by it. If it has good history then it should be ok, especially if the new engine was fairly recent.

thanks for the quick reply, i know what you mean but i have a mk1 golf gti at the mo that is 26 years old, its only had 6 owners including me!

i suppose if i keep it for over 5 years it will even out a little better.

I've just make sure that the new engine is an ABV engine (the 2.9l that was only available in Corrados) and not the 2.8l from a Golf (AAA engine code)

honestly. it would put me off. if 9 people have owned it and each not done something that was needed due to cost or "well im selling it anyway" then the car is not as well looked after as one that has had fewer owners.

tuppence.

I have exactly the opposite view - I think that the first thing that most people do when they buy a car is to spend money on it - both my G60's have had a fair number of owners. Condition and history are the only things that need to be considered.

honestly. it would put me off. if 9 people have owned it and each not done something that was needed due to cost or "well im selling it anyway" then the car is not as well looked after as one that has had fewer owners.

tuppence.

well my vr6 has had 7 owners,and apart from the usual wear and tear items,i had no trouble with it at all,apart from needing engine work,which was my own decision to make,as it was still flying,so that above comment makes no sense at all

take it on the merrits of the car itself, if it runs right and looks right then who cares how many owners its had. 9 owers in 11 years... that means each owner kept it for a year and 2 months on average, not bad going really.

thanks for the replys, reall got me confused now. well im not going to buy it as i really have my doubts about the owner, hes only got the car to make a quick sale and im looking for a corrado thats been show some love. does anyone know of a nice vr6 with around 100k for about £5000ish. i really dont want to rush into any old thing but im getting desperate to buy soon. please help me!!!

Does it really matter what the owner's motivation for selling is? As long as he's not hiding anything about the car's history or mechanics, then it doesn't really matter if he's just doing it for the money, or because he needs to buy a dialysis machine for his sick aunt...

yeah looks real nice and its not to far from me but its red! how annoying i just dont like red cars, i think red and white are the only standard colours i dont want. ive seen a green one that looks nice but its done 127k its got koni suspension so thats cool. at 127k what kinda life has the engine still got before it needs a fair bit of work?

Is 127k that different from 100k?

Timing chains might need work at 85k miles. They might last till 200k. Take the car on face value ....

no_endo, I can see where you're coming from wanting as low milage as possible, but its not that big a deal where the VR6 and VW's in general are concerned since they'll go practically forever!

Drive it, check it over, if it looks and feels right to you go for it reguardless of miles.

Its a hard one really you gotta except that with any high mileage cars (and i hate to say it especially vr6's) there is some risk. I bought my Vr with just over 100k on it 2 previous owners (the chap i bought having had it several years and being in his early 50's) and a full service history....And it performed flawlessly for 15000k........and then decided that if we were to be together for the long haul it wanted large sums of money thrown at it and lots of love and attention from a certain outfit based in Southam. The fact is with the situation i was in i could have probably spent half the money i did, but like i said i'm in for the "long haul" so I'd rather just get the thing properly sorted than drive around with a new head on a knackered block feeling paranoid as fcuk and pi55ed off with every little puff of smoke out the back. The thing is though, i was well aware of the possibility of all this occuring so did all the checks when i was looking at buying it (plugs,smoking on overun startup etc) and it was honestly fine. Though it did have a slight hint of chain noise which i managed to get a bit off the asking price for.

But...and its a big but (were talking J Lo here). Despite the costs every time i look at, get in, drive, listen or just plain think about the Vr i enjoy myself and you dont get that with many other cars.

IMO there is a risk so i hate you to go into it thinking there wasn't, but the worst that can happen is you end up like me...... with a smile on your face.

Cant afford the rims i wanted now though :(

Edd

And i've also been to Cardiff!!.....all because of the corrado! :lol: :lol: