Sign in to follow this  
marcus

polo to corrado?

Spot on OLLSTER, thats all i needed to hear. :shock: :salute:

Damn nice Polo that looks too IMO.

How did you find the maintenance costs and what mods did you have done???

Spot on OLLSTER, thats all i needed to hear.

Check for rust in the battery tray area, and the fuel filler neck joint to the tank

marcus, have you got a g40 in mind?...or are you just considering them in general?

They really are hard to appreciate how quick they are without having been in one. It really is suprising, but like i said before, they don't look anywhere near as good as a raddo! :wink:

Apparently standard the G40 isn't all that....

I've never been in a standard one. The written off 40 I bought already had a Jabba stg4 charger (which had to be rebuilt by pitstop after only 4k....) and a couple of other things.

BUT what I do know is that I would happily race a 16v corrado without fear of being beaten. My 40 at present is running 160bhp+. Before I had the g60 injectors/sns stg5 map I raced my Corrado VR (when my mate owned it) and happily beat him. We raced from a rolling start of 50mph and he said his speedo was reading 130mph and I was still pulling from him. If the vid is still hosted I'll post the link.

So yes, I would leave a 16v for dust in my polo.

well thats a lie. I melted another piston in it today. bugger.

Spot on OLLSTER, thats all i needed to hear. :shock: :salute:

i simply replaced all serviceable parts and had the charger rebuilt and ported along with removing the restrictor form the airbox, and as for maintenance cost a dam site cheaper than my corrado which although being a nice example has cost me a fortune. And although im sure i will get slagged for this the polo is put together a lot better than the corrado

Dieselgolfwales - yep seriously considering a g40, depending on what my fellow Corrado dominions think.

dub envy - are the pistons known for being weak? do u think aftermarket pistons would solve this and is it woth putting g60 charger on them?

I agree that (like many cars) they dont look anywhere near as great as the corrado and the poo will come at a price - regret, guilt, no more head turners.

Those little G40's are rapid when tuned, friend of mine has a sweet GT to G40 conversion in grey. He claims 160+ HP last time i spoke to him, it seems to eat most things he races against.

id like to race one in my 16v!

it would leave you for dust sorry fella :wink:

ok im not gonna turn this into an argument, but you cant really say that.[/quote:b1fa3]

I'm sorry my man, but its true your Corrado would not stand a chance.

I went through this before with my boss at the time with his 16v Corrado, he sold the car a few weeks after in disgust. :lol:

I have a G40 and a G60 now, G60 is more a lazy mans car in my honest opinion, G40 is more fun and for some reason I find it harder to resist the temptation to push it on than I do in the G60.

How to compare the two cars is a tricky one, I think my G40 would take my G60 to be honest, but then my G40 is 139bhp while the G60 is more or less standard, G60 has better brakes but I personally feel the G40 is the nicer car on the twisty bits because it feels lighter and more nimble.

A major weak point to watch out for is the chassis leg on the passenger side where the gearbox mount connects as this cracks with abuse. rusty points are under the battery as mentioned (afflicts all polo's based on this body shell caused by acid from the battery) petrol tank is metal and rusts through, filler neck is not replacable on its own.

here is mine

67.jpg

75.jpg

dscf5524.jpg

veedub, get yours on a rolling road for a power run and show us the printouts. not that I dont beleive you, but it'd be conclusive proof. A standard 16v vs a standard g40... the g40 has it every time. simular power but lighter car, no contest.

lol...nice seat covers.

imagine being beaten by a car with cow seat covers :lol:

theres a fat bastard up my road with a punto, her seats have the same covers :lol:

but yeah - my 16v 9a rado is seriously dissapointing performance wise, tis ok once its goingm but its the gettign there thats embarresing :lol:

After watching veeDuB's video I'd say the performance of my 16v is similar. It's hard to say exactly, as the camera isn't pointing straight at the speedo and the speedo itself cant be trusted, but Virtualdub makes the 0-60 sprint somewhere in the eight to nine second region.

I'm sure most people understand what you're saying and I think very little of this thread is directed at you personally. It seems like more of a G40 appreciation society annual meet!

To be honest you'd never know for sure until you actually set up a race under controlled contitions, which is unlikely to happen unless you're interested in setting up a meet at Santa Pod for instance. A short blast on public roads doesn't really prove anything but the power/weight figures imply a fair amount.

Ah now, Marcus asked a question about if anyone had gone G40 to Corrado and the comparisons between them and we answered.

I may well have mis-read veeDuB_Rado's comments but in reality the 16v Corrado is a lot slower than its looks would have people believe, while the G40 is a lot quicker than its subtle image shows.

Doesn't matter how quick the Polo is as it's still an ugly little spud of a thing. Id' rather be in something more substantial than a shoe box at anything over 100mph. I've been a standard G40 and it was barely any quicker than a MK2 GTI, so I don't think a few more hp is going to suddenly turn it into a VR/S3 beater..... you don't half get some exaggerations on forums.

exactly!! who really cares how quick it is!! i'd rather be riding in a Corrado than a G40 any day...and i don't think it's worth comparing cars in 2 completely different categories

Obviously standard ones are slow -as all corrado, polo models, so i'm only interested in tuning potential or engine transplant for a pocket rocket because everyone has fiestas, golfs, clios etc.

I'm happy with my 190bhp g60 but just curious bout how quick polos are as a cheap sleeper option but would have to contend with 200bhp cars if worth it.

I'm glad the debate is going well :-).

Dutch - the people talking about it care.

We corrado's look better - thats not the debate- but corrado's are also supposed to be fairly quick.

They are both blown VW so not different categories.

I still maintain that both models have nothing on a Perodua Kelisa...........

when it comes to being able to park in asdas