Sign in to follow this  
Ronan

Why does everyone rave about Storms?

At the end of the day (man I hate that phrase) all corrados are special and limited. that is one of the reasons we all love em.

But some corrados are more equal than others.

neither seem to be worth a lot at the moment........... so buy both :-) ............ next topic !

they should have schricked the storm

I think, if someone offered me a mint VR and mint Storm then I'd only take the Storm if they were up at the same price, because I could make money out of it. The wheels wouldn't be a selling factor for me, as I don't like th elook of Corrado's with small wheels, I think the huge arches need to be filled. I agree with whoever (sorry if thats rude but I am ill and cant be bothered to scroll up and read) said that they should have made the Storm attractive in other ways, like it maybe being quicker than a VR then it would attract other people. The fact that it's a limited edition doesnt do anything for me, I'm afraid, but each to their own.

True, alot is down to individual preference. But even if you don't like the colour or the leather, surely you can still appreciate what the Storm is about?

I think that is the point of this thread, a lot of people can't understand what the Storm is about. There isn't really anything to appreciate, its just a badge thing.

If I were given a choice of a Classic Green Storm or an exactly the same Classic Green standard VR, what would I choose? Obviously the Storm because it will be worth much more to the next badge conscious person who's looking for one. It is in no way at all a better car. When I say a standard VR, what do I mean?... one without the badges!!!

I wish VW had tweaked the Storm in some way, perhaps supercharged it or VSR'd it or something, then it would truly be worth more. Its just a con imo to make people who don't realise that Storms are no different pay more for the badge.

Thats how I would have said it Andy :notworthy:

chubbz

Also I dont think there is as much of a premium as there used to be as they are getting older and less sought after,unless they are in Primo condition.

I think the main debate here is whether the storm is worth the extra money over a similar spec vr and the simple answer is.......

......It's worth the extra for anyone willing to pay it. You pays your money and takes your choice.

If storm ownership gives someone pleasure then it was money well spent and good for them.

mr.ots said

Ultimately I'm a rado and not just a storm enthusiast. If I had a choice between a low mileage mint condition VR and a high mileage poor condition storm I'd choose the VR every time. I was lucky though and managed to find a good condition low mileage fvwsh storm and I was happy to pay an extra premium for it.

Yup.

The one-owner-from-new VR6 which came up for sale at a garage seven miles from here when I had the money just happened to be a storm - that is why i have one. Had a non-storm VR6 with the same pedigree been available at lower cost I would have gone for that one.

Circumstances and opportunity, rather than choice, can mean you have a storm rather than a non-storm.

The market dictates that the storm will be worth more than than the non-storm - thats not any individual's fault but merely a result of the nature of humans. It is stupid, but dont blame those who own storms for the situation. £1500-2000 IS a nonsense just for a couple of badges.

At the end of the day, most cars had special editions and one of the Corrado is the Storm edition, it's no different really, just a few badges and a nice paint. But it's more of a collectors car, than a modifiers car. And I'm glad they didn't Supercharge them because they would all be modified etc and probably written off too.

When I'm 25 and I have my vr6 and I got offered a low miler Storm for decent money, I would take it and store it and use it for very special occasions.

But the thing is, if you had a Storm you know theres always something special about it, a bit more twinkle in your heart if you like than, any other standard or modified Corrado. Same as the Campain or Jet edition, theres nothing extra reallyto them, just a few nickels here and there, but at least you know you own something that other Corrado owners don't have.

I'm personally not the person to go and modify a Storm unless the mods were reversable. It's like mine really, it's one of the 5 (or 6 or something near ) left out of press cars,and I'd like to know how many there are left. When it comes to selling it I will completely standardise it as I've done easily reversable mods to it. Some of you might think " Oh it's only the press car" But to me it's a long surviving Corrado which model theres probably only about 3 left, as I know 2 have ben written off.

A standard Storm would be more appealing to me though than a modified one.

I don't think you can really compare a Storm to a Campaign...!

Mind you, weren't there even less 8V Corrados made than Storms? Heheh, so technically, they're even more of a limited edition! :lol:

But the thing is, if you had a Storm you know theres always something special about it, a bit more twinkle in your heart if you like than, any other standard or modified Corrado. Same as the Campain or Jet edition, theres nothing extra reallyto them, just a few nickels here and there, but at least you know you own something that other Corrado owners don't have.

Well said 16v, Storm ownership is as much a feeling of having something that gives you that "twinkle in your heart", I couldn't have put it better.

It was the car chosen to commerate the end of the the rado and VW thought it special enough to save no. 500 to keep as a museum exhibit.

the storm was only available in the uk,so its more of a limited edition to the gulible uk people,if it was a worldwide limited edition then it would be different!!

i want a storm now,mind you if rado prices keep droppin who knows maybe next year,if you owned a storm would you be better leavin it totally standard?

the storm was only available in the uk,so its more of a limited edition to the gulible uk people,if it was a worldwide limited edition then it would be different!!

The fact that it was only sold in the uk makes it even more limited IMO.

g60greeny - I think you would get a different view from different people (especially judging by this thread) on whether to leave a storm standard but I would say it would be more desirable to a collector if the car was in standard form.

whats the average price storms are going fot at the moment?

There's a classic green one on exchange and mart at the moment up for £6795 but no mileage listed. The prices vary a lot just as with any other vr but you see them going for anything between 6 - 9k depending on condition and mileage.

Update - Storm-nut has just listed his classic green on the forum's cars for sale for 6k.

but at least you know you own something that other Corrado owners don't have.

Yes a badge!!! Sorry two!!

Strictly speaking you don't really have something that other Corrado owners don't have, you have something that 500 other Corrado owners have. Badges wahey!

I think 8v models will be fetching an inflated price soon, what with their more exclusive 8v badges and all that!!

I think it would of been a nice touch to have numbered the storms like many ltd editions.

personally i like the whole storm idea. ive got 2 really nice vr6s, 1 modified , and 1low milleage standard with leather but id still love a low milleage storm and would prob pay silly money for one.

each to thier own tho ah!

As a few people have said before- a lot of people like owning storms because it just feels good... No-ones arguing that a few bits of plastic are worth £2000 or that Storms are value for money in the true sense- but many things have a value which is more than just the base cost of the material they are made of.

To me personally- when people ask what car I have and I say 'corrado VR6' and see the reaction- thats great and makes it worth all the aggro of trying to keep the thing on the road- the second question is very often 'is it a storm'- which is the icing on the cake to me.

Those who DO think its two badges worth a couple quid to make, won't buy one and will be perfectly happy with what they have; people who think its a classic piece of motoring history like me WILL pay the premium and think its worth every penny- Its just down to personal choice..

like dalevr6said,they should of at least had a plaque somewhere on the storms saying no1 of 500,or a certificate stating that it is a storm,thats where vw messed up,it should of said storm on the log books,like the highline golfs state

am i right in saying the storms are 1 ins group higher than a std vr,im sure there group(19) if so i wonder why?

Actually its prob incase you need to claim for a badge!

What ever floats your boat, mines a storm. Like load of old women, you don't go on about the campaign.

I think that's because most people outside of the Corrado fraternity don't even have a clue there IS a Corrado Campaign...

Is/Was a Storm worth it?

Is it, well to me yes, as I missed the first three Karmann Storms "new" and did this 4th edition due to being on the redundancy list. By the time I had recovered from that they had all but gone from the show rooms in September 1996 and the second hand price had climbed to £25,000 (not that I paid that! A lot less in October 1996) due the Top Gear programme returning the last Corrado, a Storm to Wolfsburg (should have been Karmann!). They were in short supply secondhand being only just bought new by their first owners. I wanted one cos it was the top of the range VW Coupe model, just as it was with the Scirocco three pre Corrado days.

The Storm isn’t any different to a well spec’d VR6 but mine is special to me… and that’s what counts in my opinion. I wouldn’t knock any other Corrado owner for what they’ve got. It’s just important to keep them ALL running. EBAY I just find depressing at what looks like 2 a month going to the blue yonder.

The Storm was a marketing ploy on the part of VAG-UK not VW to shift another years sales of 1300 ish Corrados. They had to do something to sell the Corrado that year August’94 to July’95 as the model had been declared “finished”. And cars in the showroom don’t shift well under that situation, this was a car on it’s way out. The Corrado didn’t sell many even in the UK and if they didn’t sell them fairly quickly, they’d have to shift more Polos, Passats, Ventos and Golfs to make sales targets. One Corrado at £22,500 was two Polos or Ventos or Golfs or one and bit Passats. If those markets were saturated, then VAG-UK would be slightly stuffed on turnover. 1995 was still the back end of a recession and selling anything was hard going to some extent for the dealers. So it did work to add that little couple of badges. Even today ten years on, their little ploy is still working :wink:

Well was it worth it to a “new” car owner. When you add up a VR6 with leathers option etc., this is how it looked back on 3rd April 1995.

Corrado Storm VR6 manual £22,498.90

Corrado Storm VR6 Auto £23,398.95

Delivery Costs £425 extra

Options offered: none

Corrado VR6 manual £21,199.35

Corrado VR6 auto £22,099.40

Delivery costs £425 extra

Options offered: (I’ll ignore the none equivalents)

Leather upholstery with front seat heating £1,245.50

Pearl / Metallic Paint £299.63

So a Storm (using manual) Cost £22,498.90 in standard form where as a VR6 cost £22,744.48.

So the Storm was value but to a new owner the choice still left to make was the colour! People spending that sort of money generally don’t tend to be the enthusiasts of today so a little badge may have got them into the showroom but what they drove away in could be totally different. I remember negotiating at the same time on a brand new red with black leather VR6. Knock £2,000 off the asking price on the phone, blow me, the next day they rang back the next day. The garage dealership owner had instructed his salesman to say OK. Oh the dilemma, to Storm and not to Storm. So this debate is yonks old and still as hot today as it was 10 years ago!

Why insurance group 19. It was made with the options as standard which if it was stolen meant it cost more to reimburse the owner. The VR6 was IG18 in cloth leather interior form but if it had leathers option it did get “loaded” as obviously the value was higher in the early years.

Why not numbered on a plate. It’s not the only special model not to be numbered. Correct if I am wrong but the Golf Mk1 Campaign isn’t either nor the Sciroccos Storms, all 3 editions in 1979,1980 & 1984. Nor were the Scirocco GTS limited editons of 1985 & 1986. Perhaps when they did it for the last “new” Old Beetles in 1977, they found it made no difference in terms of sales.

(Oh and by the way, the Corrado wasn’t highest priced VW that year. The Passat Exclusiv 2.8ltr VR6 Estate Auto took that crown at £24,398.88 basic no options price.)