Sign in to follow this  
Neil VR6

PC case lights- many uses

I have an Aqua Blue Pearl Vr6 and I have fitted 6 inch blue neons in my footwells on the underside of the dash. the are linked up to the earth on the door switches so light up when the doors open. they are very small and look great when the doors open, floods the footwells with a warm blue glow.

:)

davebirl, how did you wire them and is there any problem with them receiving over 12V from the battery (usually about 13.5V iirc)? How did you wire them in to the switches?

I don't see any problems with wiring them in - they run off an inverter anyway and I don't suppose it's the most precision engineered bit of electronics, so should be fairly happy as long as it's getting circa 12v.

Edit: Also read the first review on the ebuyer link ;)

I have an Aqua Blue Pearl Vr6 and I have fitted 6 inch blue neons in my footwells on the underside of the dash. the are linked up to the earth on the door switches so light up when the doors open. they are very small and look great when the doors open, floods the footwells with a warm blue glow.

:)

get some pics up then :lol:

it sounds slight chavy but i was thinkin about doin mine :D

Chavy! he he he he

they look very good when the doors open and really only light up the footwells. I have been to loads of shows here in Ireland with the car and on the Karmann trip and nobody even noticed!!

Anyways I will take some pics tomorrow evening and post them up.

Regard wiring it was easy, all I had to do was connect them to an ignition live and then earth them to the wire on one of the door switches. I just daisy chained the two neons together so that both light up together.

With regards to chavvy - everyone I've told about my light-up knob say it's chavvy, then they pics of it and say 'oh actually, it looks really nice' :lol:

Oh and I changed the gearknob in my C too...

I purchased a new knob the other day and my hand nearly gets stuck to it it's soo cold in the mornings ;)

I might give this a go then. (Obvioulsy I need the car to be out of the local garage and actually working before I start faffing with pretty lights :mad:)

Well guys I took these few pics just before the sun when down this evening!

And of course they only come on when the doors open!

Like I said, they are earthed to the door switches and I have taken a live from a spare connection in the fuse box and hooked up a 5amp fuse to it at the fuse box also. Just to be safe.

they are not PC case lights and are surrouned by a clear plastic case and they do not generate any heat at all!

They came with cigarette lighter connections and I just cut them off.

I do not have or ever intend to put neons on the outside of the car......ever.......I am not a chav either......nor ever will be!

My mate has a celica and he has factory lights in the footwells and thats were I got the idea. Girlfriend could never find her handbag on the floor.

I got the neons on ebay really cheap last year.

neon4.jpg

neon3.jpg

neon2.jpg

neon1.jpg

Ive done the same as davebirl but mine are green 8) I used the 9" neons from Halfords (£15) then got a pos from the fuse box and then used the neg from the door switches :D Mine come on with the interior light when I unlock the car with the alarm 8)

I''ve got a set of these, they come with teh transformer. Bought them from maplins a while back for a fiver each. Been meaning to do exactly this to my C ever since I saw it in my mates M3 BMW! it does look good. How do you get them to come on when the alarm unlocks? Pcis of wiring woudl go down a treat!

like it dave

whats thats instead of your ashtray??

thats my Neo jukebox

http://www.ssiamerica.com/products/neo35/

The Wired remotes fits perfectly into the space left by the ashtray in both early and late corrados. Used to have this in my MKIV Golf, G60 Corrado and now VR6. Beats the pants off CDs.

100GB of mp3s and no swapping of CDs etc!

neo35-remote-connected_larg.jpg

They look good, but davebirl you need to change your LEDs to match mate ;)

My mates Audi A6 has footwell lights that match his red LEDs and it looks good, and he also has the interior door handle cut outs illuminated when the lights are on 8)

davebirl,

Your jukebox looks nice :D I myself have a Kenwood Music Keg which hooks up to the CD-changer connector at the back of my Kenwood HU and it behaves like a CD-changer, except it plays MP3 and OGG. I only have 20Gb compared to your 100Gb though :D

I'd be interested in lighting my footwells as well (when the door's open) but I'd need something a little bit more mellow than that. Still looking.

Cheers,

Rica