Sign in to follow this  
Taggart

What's my engine worth?

Since I'm going 24v and wanting to sell my old engine, what's my 65k miles VR6 engine worth?

It had a complete rebuild a year ago at Stealth, rebored to 82.5mm / 2897cc, chains & clutch. I have a £3500 bill to prove it!

Not selling the gearbox.

Aaanyway, back on topic :)

Some guy on the VR6oc was talking £1,200. What do you guys think, it has just had 3.5k spent on it.

(Be glad Walesy doesn't have a photo of Tom, as I can imagine a photoshop turning up)

VW servicing really is w..k isnt it. I've had no better and neither has my old man. He got nowhere with vw uk either. Dual mass flywheel broke up on his mk4 @17k!! Logged underwarranty, but they had no records when it came to the crunch just after the warranty ran out!! Another mate had a £400 service, got 1/2 a mile and the engine seized--no oil in it!! They forgot!! And guess what, after 18 months he has got nowhere with any kind of help. I would'nt book my car in to fag for a wiper blade change round here.

Anyway, I reckon its only worth about £200 mate, which i happen to have right here!

I would say between £600 and £1000 tbh. Thats not a fair price going by the bill, but most low mileage 2.9s ive seen go for between 4 and 600. Taking into the account its a stealth rebuild id try for 1k?

Your smokey, tappey old engine is worth about £50 mate. I'll take it off your hands for a small collection fee, or deliver it to me and we'll call it quits? :-)

I'd say shove it on the bay and cream them! Some berk will pay well over the odds for it....

I'd either stick a reserve or starting price on it for the minimum you're realistically willing to let it go for.

Aye, but I'm contemplating getting my 24v put in in the UK, so I could arrange for it to be picked up from there.

Who is fitting your 24v bud and any idea on the likely bill.

You've only just had that mocal fitted mate, and you had to put up with me cr.ping on all day to boot!

lol, the mocal should be worth at least £500 for that :p

Erm, at the moment it looks like I am fitting it :rofl: