Sign in to follow this  
lamwagon

moving the battery

just wondering wots involed in moving the battery in my 1991 g60 to the boot

any help would be very helpful cheers

adam :)

cheers mate never thourght it would be that easy, i take it u run the cable inside the car under the carpets

cheers adam

id leave it where it is and concentrate on tidying the wiring up, unless you realy need to i.e. if you have a different motor under the bonnet there isnt much point.

I moved my celica GT4 battery so i could fit a straight intake, use 2 live wires(both fused by the battery) one thick wire for starter and one thinner wire for fusebox, a welder power cable is good as its quite flexable. :)

If you relocate the battery, either make sure it's a sealed battery (and never ever buy a non-sealed one!!), or make sure that you encase it in a sealed acid-proof box. And that includes the lid. Acid inside the car if you roll it makes a bad situation much worse!

If you mount it in the spare wheel well, then there's a hole there already for ventilation and drainage.... Optimas are about as sealed as you can get, but have you seen the price of them?

And then there's the issue of voltage drop down the looong cables to the bonnet. It hardly seems worth it to me!

And then there's the issue of voltage drop down the looong cables to the bonnet. It hardly seems worth it to me!

Get the thickest cable you can, 2 or 0 gauge, that will illiminate alot of voltage drop. Same principle as running a cable for a large amp install. A good Car hifi shop will supply decent cable.

Put the engine in the boot as well, will be really tidy then, wont have to worry about volt drop. :lol:

Surprisingly, nobody has mentioned the most valid reason, .....in order to shift a chunk of weight from in front of the front wheels (bad place) to the back of the car inside the wheelbase (good place).

The Corrado's an amazingly good handling car considering it's appalling nose heaviness.

A good size battery weighs 13.5Kg, which is a nice chunk to remove from the nose weight, agreed.....and more weight over the back wheels is a good thing in a short wheel base, short rear overhang car too.

Don't forget nearly all modern Bimmers have the battery in the boot....but mainly because the engines are getting bigger and the bays smaller!

doesn't that make the N/S/F light though, the engine is set off to the O/S/F with the driver. Battery in its current position will help to balance thing out a little?

Never doubted the dynamic reasons for shifting that lump of weight into the boot.. But the practicalities of it obviously hadn't been thought out by the person who originally asked! :)