Stan 24v

Definitive 24v into a (VR) Corrado thread

Me and my mate made mine with a 6" length of steel tube and a hell of a lot of time and welding! :)

It was made bit by bit so it fitted perfectly and was no where near any part of the car, so no knocking. Cost all of £4 for the tube.

It was made about 8 months ago when I first got the 24v engine in and running.

Jay

The chip is Custom Code mate, not sure which one or how much power though. I know it was one of the older solder chips. Im assuming its Phase 1:

http://www.jbsautodesigns.co.uk/customc ... icing.html

There are two lambdas fitted, one on each downpipe before going into the single CAT. The ones that arent fitted are the ones after the CAT, which Im led to believe are only there to inform you if the CAT brakes and then puts the car into limp mode. It also means you can run the car with a De-CAT if you wanted.

Nice one, cheers Stan.

When you said custom code I didn't realise that was the name, just thought you'd had a custom remap done :oops:

24V Renshaw, I didn't realise you made the DP too. Good stuff!!

I will figure something out so no worries.

Dutch

Dutch - Did it all myself, with a bit of help from my mate on the welding front. I have never paid a single £ towards labour, for any work to be done on it. :)

Jay

24V Renshaw,

That is a nice ideal I'd like to get too one day as I don't trust mechanics for some reason. Not had a problem in th Uk per say, but when a Dutch monkey realises you're foreign they think they can screw you over, which is just added hassle as you then have to explain to them they're talking shite, which usually results in some stronger verbal exchanges :?

I'm going to be ripping the ABV out myself and attempt to fit the 24v too. I've just bought a 1-ton engine crane and load balancing thingy so It shouldnt be too bad, but I'm going to have to get the DP made :(

Don't suppose you've got some pictures of yours before you fitted it to give me an idea of what's involved? Don't suppose you could PM some nice engine bay shots too as I'm curious how you've done your install comapared to Stans, and I can't seemt to find many shots of your bay!

Dutch

The main difference between mine and Stans, is that I have used everything possible from a MK4, so it has MK4 Wiring, MK4 brake stuff, MK4 aircon, MK4 water pipes, MK4 bottles, MK4 firewall etc..

Cheers Jay.

Just curious how you did the air box and the expansion tanks really.

I see you also have a K&N, so are you using the K&N ducting to get cool air or have you fabricated something yourself?

Dutch

hey has an VR owner's actually race'd a 24v'er yet?

or

any 24valver's race'd a VR yet?

standard there isnt much between them, apart from more Grunt (24v)

interesting.....

The 24V would pull away from a 12V easily.....what the 12V does above 4000rpm, the 24V does below that and a lot more.

What is the oil consumption like on the 24V? I know the 12V can drink a fair bit of it when you're pressing on, I'd hope the 24V doesn't drink so much?

Got my eye on a couple of R32 lumps at the moment..... I am VERY seriously considering going charged R32, water injected, charge cooled, the works. I'm just undecided.....a 911 is calling me.....just not sure whether to go for what I've got planned for the Rado (and it's unique and involves MK5 parts ;-) ) or cut my losses and get the 911. Decisions decisions....

I'm torn..... I can either get a 993 and keep the rado or get a 996, but the rado would have to go if I got a 996.

My other plan is to R32 the Rado and fit the MK5 GTI rear independant suspension and 286mm brakes. I studied a MK5 in detail today it looks possible from my overview . The two rear wishbones meet in the middle (8" inboard of the rear bumper) with a bracket suspended from the floor. The MK5 tank will be needed and looks quite straight forward. There are also control blade bars that pivot from the where the rear axle sits on the rado now, which join the main wishbones. It's defo doable and will also set the foundations for 4x4. The MK5 has gone back to mcphersons at the rear too (the MK4 used seperated springs and dampers), so that makes life even easier.

I've spent about £10K on the rado already, got a new job paying well, so it's time to sit back and plan it all out. 911s have always been on the horizon for me, just don't know whether to take the rado to the next level or call time and venture into pastures new.

I'm torn..... I can either get a 993 and keep the rado or get a 996, but the rado would have to go if I got a 996.

My other plan is to R32 the Rado and fit the MK5 GTI rear independant suspension and 286mm brakes. I studied a MK5 in detail today it looks possible from my overview . The two rear wishbones meet in the middle (8" inboard of the rear bumper) with a bracket suspended from the floor. The MK5 tank will be needed and looks quite straight forward. There are also control blade bars that pivot from the where the rear axle sits on the rado now, which join the main wishbones. It's defo doable and will also set the foundations for 4x4. The MK5 has gone back to mcphersons at the rear too (the MK4 used seperated springs and dampers), so that makes life even easier.

I've spent about £10K on the rado already, got a new job paying well, so it's time to sit back and plan it all out. 911s have always been on the horizon for me, just don't know whether to take the rado to the next level or call time and venture into pastures new.

i've been out in a 964 turbo, great as the corrado is.....its no porsche. No matter how much money you throw at it.

i've always love the porsche 968, but a R32 in a rado would be sweet!

having both would be like married to angelina jolie & jennifer aniston :)

maybe bad inaligy there....

LOL, good analogy :-)

I'd love to keep the Rado, but if I get a 993 (and it's got to be the 3.6 varioram wide body) I won't be able to afford the R32 and MK5 plans.....but the 12V isn't past it just yet.

The 996 is a much better car than the 993 though and it's that I'm warming too....

We'll see. I'll probably wake up tomorrow with entirely different plans!

Kev. Mine has used literally NO oil since I put it in 8 months ago!!! I keep checking it and its always in exactly the same point. It has an oil level sensor anyway which would tell me if it was low, but it never is! I am going to give it a change soon so will be able to see how good the oil condition is.

Jay

Bloody ell kev, some nice plans there mate..

I was thinking about going 24v instead of getting this OBD2 stuff done but I can't really afford it even though it seems like a sensible idea, I have to do something or I probably wont pass emissions on my MOT. Is there much more involved installing a R32 compared to a 2.8 24v? All of out 12v engines are getting on a bit and when (In Stans case) you can get an entire conversion done for under 3k it is a very tempting option. :?

The parts are about £250

Labour £570

So that's £820 but i'll have a load of parts to sell after for probably £200 so all in about £600ish.