Sign in to follow this  
davecash

Did my heater matrix

Got round to doing my heater matrix over xmas. Big thankyou to my mate luke who was a mahoosive help. Just thought I'd post some pictures so that Scarlett could see the inside of her old car in bits. And a picture of Luke's golf in the snow, because I think it looks sweet.

It's so nice to have heat again!

what a horrible job , i still love mk2's , i had 2 and i think they are the best golf imo

your c looks very clean from what i can see

oh my god!!! my poor baby!!!! :)

glad you got it done Dave...! good to see the old girl is coming along nicely!!!

and Lukes MKII is lovely... that pic dont do it justice!!!! :)

theres such a spate of these at the mo - was going to do mine but ended up tiling the flaming house back to front - or - thanks to nosky who cut 2, yes, 2 tiles for me ;)

Gawd that looks like such a nightmare - so glad i've never had a heater matrix go in either of my Corrado's!

to be honest, its not actually as bad as it looks. it just takes time more than anything. the hardest parts were the clips around the back of the air box bit, the bolts in the scuttle tray and believe it or not, getting the glovebox out (which im not even sure we needed to do).

The glove box is a pain in the butt. Easiest way to remove it is to bend the bit of metal the shelf screws to down and then it comes out easily. Then just bend it up again after you've popped it back in ;-)

Well done. That's pretty much the nastiest job to do on a C / MK2, so that's that done for another 10 years or so!

YEAH I JUST DID ONE ON MY MKII.... LOOKS ABOUT AS HARD....HOPE THE ONE ON THE CORRADO DOES NOT GO...

DSC01391.JPG

DSC01397.JPG

DSC01396.JPG

ME KICKING BACK A SECOND WHILE MY BOY DOES SOME WORK

DSC01388.JPG

you didnt actually need to take the dash out to this though.i got mine out just taking the trim off from both sides.and this was around 10pm and i aint no mechanic.

as mentioned the glovebox is a right bugger to get out and back in.

Hi does any1 out there know where i can get some half decent info on changing the matrix in my 1990 16v? I've put it off for far 2 long.

you didnt actually need to take the dash out to this though.i got mine out just taking the trim off from both sides.and this was around 10pm and i aint no mechanic.

Thats how I did mine (dash in). Took me all day with loads of swearing though :lol:

LOL! I struggled more gettin the fecker back in!

Same here, it was a nightmare! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I did mine the other week! Luckily my best mate is a panel beater so he is used to taking dashboards apart! 2.5 hours start to finish! Top job and a warm car!!!

I've taken the glove box out and put it back in loads of times, and I don't think it's that hard. Just kind of fiddly and "I wish I had three hands" kind of work. Takes me 30 secs at the most.

It's great to remove it when you put your stereo in, as you get much better access to the wiring. I actually got mine ALL the way in after 10 hours of pushing :)

How do you remove the dashboard anyways? edit: read the CCofC article, got it :)

Hi,

I have a problem with my heater. If I leave it on '0' and leave the heat setting on hot then the car warms up. However, if I then turn the fan on either 1,2 or 3 then even with the setting on 'hot' it starts blowing cold air. Did you have this problem or was yours something different?

Thanks

Stefan

that sounds like one of the gears which control the air direction flaps has broken so you're never blowing air through the heater matrix...

It'll work when the fans aren't on, but as soon as the fans come on, the airflow moves the flap and blocks the heater matrix...

Had this on mine recently until I nicked a cog off a MKII golf to sort it out... 8)

really not looking forward to this one. But its bloody freezing at the moment so am really going to have to do it soon................

Plus I have had the matrix for about 2 months now :oops:

ok heres one for you, my heater blows hot and cold air as it should, but it doesnt exactly blow it with any power, its about as powerful as Farting through the vents, ive taken the fan unit out and checked it over, and operates on all 4 speeds so thats fine....could it be a blockage somewhere ??