Sign in to follow this  
quicky1980

High oil temp

What flavour raddo have you got.

It doesn't sound way to hot, maybe slightly hotter than it should, but that could be down to alot of things...

When it's hitting 110, what sort of speeds are you doing?

i was doing about 180

:shock:

Thats either gotta be KPH or a typo?

If you are driving the car hard for any period of time the oil temp will rise, and 110deg doesn't seem to high , as long as it drops again when you stop flooring it.

I think in the manual it says that if the oil temp reaches 140deg then slow down.

Still, it doensn't seem toooooo high.

It seems most raddos start to run a bit hotter as they get on in age, I can only assume it's due to oil coolers,rads etc being less effective.

Most people recomend getting a Mocal oil cooler fitted, then you'l rarely see over 100 deg.

If you do a search on: oil AND temp, you'l find quite alot of threads about it.

There is a group buy ending tomorow evening for Mocal oil coolers. I also get 110 at motorwat speeds and after a bit of thraping will easily get up to 122 even saw 126 in the summer. So I am getting an oil cooler sorted ready for next summer. by all accounts you will have to work prety hard to get it up over 102.

There is a group buy ending tomorow evening for Mocal oil coolers. I also get 110 at motorwat speeds and after a bit of thraping will easily get up to 122 even saw 126 in the summer. So I am getting an oil cooler sorted ready for next summer. by all accounts you will have to work prety hard to get it up over 102.

Try this link to the group buy and all the info on the Mocal cooler.

I've got a golf vr6 (mark 3 P reg) and I have seen 102 once before on the dual carriageway..I was doing 90ish though. Most I had ever seen before that was 98. Normally I see 92/94 when I do between 70-80mph. Under 70 mph and it stays at 88/90 (normal operating temp). How does an oil cooler work and is cooler oil better for the engine (or is it more of a preventative to stop temps getting too high)? What's the cost as I might be interested in this too?

i'm sure the manual for a vr says don't worry until it reaches 140 or 150.

my C runs much hotter than my golf vr6. maybe its something to do with under-bonnet design / size???

no idea really, just a thought.

the 2.9 V is closer togther than the 2.8 V so the C's do run a bit warmer. but the manual does say at 140 it is time to stop and cool down. Im just trying to preserve my enging so am going for one of these coolers for that reason.

They are going for 135 - 145 quid depending on type of car. But if it means The oil wont get so thin that it offers no protection then it is worth it in my book.

Anything above 120 is not good for your engine.

Found this info on Mocal coolers

The temps can be converted here http:// [url=http://www.wbuf.noaa.gov/tempfc.htm]http://www.wbuf.noaa.gov/tempfc.htm

It is critical to understand that an oil cooler is not designed to last the life of the car. Sound maintenance practice tells us that whenever we are doing a major engine overhaul we should not fail to replace the cooler as it is almost impossible to get the debris and sludge out of a used cooler! You would not rebuild your motor with an old oil pump nor should you reuse a cooler. This genuine Mocal 16 row cooler is a great upgrade.

In the past, fitting an oil cooler was mandatory once an engine had been even slightly uprated. The main cause for this was the quality of motor oils available at that time. If the oil temperatures exceeded a specific point engine failure was almost guaranteed. Modern motor oils are generally of a much higher quality, especially the 'brand names', and have far superior high temperature tolerance than those of 10 or 15 years ago. Fully synthetic oils have extremely high heat tolerance. Use of any of these oils makes an oil cooler less of a necessity where engine outputs don't exceed about 90 horsepower. It is as bad to run the oil temperature too cool as it is to let it get too hot. The ideal operating range is 200 to 230 degrees F (sump temp). At these temperatures the oil is working efficiently to produce the best power, economy and release of combustion by-products. If the oil is too cool, these by-products are absorbed into the oil, requiring more frequent changes to avoid bearing and bore damage. It is worth noting that keeping the oil at the correct temperature helps cool the engine; high oil temperatures will create higher water temperatures. Various sizes of oil coolers and fitting kits, including pipes, are available. To help control temperature there is a thermostat MOCOT1 that fits into the engine cooler pipes (can not be used with braided steel pipes) that operates at 74 degrees C (165 degrees F). An oil temperature guage adapter MOCOT2 is also available that fits into one of the cooler pipes, not compatible with the braided steel pipes.

Try google yer lazy get! :)

100 Celsius = 212 Farenheit.

110 Celsius = 230 Farenheit.

Yes, I think the C VR typically runs quite "hot", but VW reckon that's normal so it's entirely your decision if you want to go for an oil cooler or not.

93-110 is the optimal range when coverted from farenheit! you dont want to be at the top end of that on normal driving IMHO

yeah of course you dont want to run around with the temp at 140. not a good idea. i reckon these sound like a very good idea. wish i had the money, but i want a diff and FD!!

just going to jump on and hi-jack this thread, my 1.8 16v has been running ok lately (makes a change) but y'day started getting what i thought were high oil temps.my coolant temp was around 90ish on motorway, 90-100 on A roads and around 110 in town, whilst my oil temp rose to around 105 then would rise upto 112-120 when sat in traffic/2nd gear crap and the lowest it dropped on the motorway was 104.

when i pulled up home coolant was around 90-95 whilst oil sat at 120 for a min or 2 before dropping also no fans were on and level in expansion tank has risen well above max mark.

these temps sound right? and should the fans be kicking in to aid oil cooling or they just for coolant.was thinking of changing senders incase there buggering up cooling system slightly.

As stated anything below 120 degrees C is fine. Above that I would look to switch the oil to a higher rating 10w50 / 15w50 etc I have found silkolene to be very good. If that doesnt improve things then oil cooler kit's are fairly cheap (group buy at the moment).

Never got my VR6 above 110. If the temp gets too high you loose power, can't be having that. :)