Sign in to follow this  
R1-Jay

Corrado accident (M40)

On travelling to Oxford today, i saw a green C on the otherside of the road in the hard shoulder, looked like heavy damage from what i could see, bonnet was back atleast half way!

hope it wasn't anyone from here!

bad weather :-( a toyota corrolla slid on some ice yesterday morning killing 4 cyclists near where i live

the roads are worse than they look

bad weather Sad a toyota corrolla slid on some ice yesterday morning killing 4 cyclists near where i live

the roads are worse than they look

Yeah - heard that on the news this morning, very unfortunate but you've got to ask what were cyclists doing out if the roads were that bad...

it was a cycling club from rhyl who ride every sunday , the roads had been gritted but it rained later and froze again , one of the dead was only 14 yrs old and his dad was also a rider so he witnessed the tragic death of his son , speed was not an issue the police said

as i said the roads "looked" ok but they obviously werent :-(

whether it was your fault or not , as the driver that would be difficult to live with

No, its quite awful. You'd never get over something like that really :(

i caught the end of the news report about this last night, I got the impression it was simple loss-of-control due to ice..nothing the driver could do. scary thought.

But no doubt they'll put a speed camera on that spot to stop these things happening again :roll:

But no doubt they'll put a speed camera on that spot to stop these things happening again :roll:

well, maybe it can emit infa red rays to melt any ice if that was the true problem - or here's a novel idea - lets grit the roads like they did in old days, wasn't that a good idea!?

Council roads authority cleared of blame here when two 20-year olds from our town were involved in fatal head on crash on black ice.

Gritting had been done, but steady rain washed much of it away.

There is only so much the authorities can do. At the end of the day it has to be down to the vigilance and experience of the driver. As I have said before, always be aware of the possibility of ice you cannot see when the conditions might favour it.

I think you missed the irony in the post craig - typically, the reaction of authorities/police is to erect cash generating speed camera's that do nothing to resolve the underlying issue. By addressing the actual problem, there may be a better solution that would prevent accidents as opposed to speed camera's which without a doubt are cash generators and distract drivers immensely because you are CONSTANTLY looking for speed camera's and at your speedo because everyone is so paranoid they will stray 3-4 miles over the limit and be flashed.

In truth, most drivers would drive a lot safer if hey weren't looking at the speedo and for camera's. I've read there is evidence of this but it is suppressed due to the revenue camera's debate.

Now that I'm on my soapbox, think this is worthy of a new thread debate ;)

H8RRA said

I think you missed the irony in the post craig

Didn't really, H8RRA. Having been personally involved in the aftermath of ice-related accidents, I only wanted to get my oar in again about how we as drivers should not expect to be immune to disaster brought about by natural processes.

IMO our nanny society has bred a generation of people who expect to be protected from all manner of harm leaving the individual with no responsibility whatsoever.

Cannot relate to constantly looking for speed cameras - one of the advantages of living up here, I guess.

Can relate to keeping an eye on speedo in VR6, though, its speed is deceptive. However, the speed and course of the car/aircraft/ship is ultimately the responsibility of the captain and he has to accept the consequences of setting it wrong.

By the way, my belief in the above philosophies does not imply that I am not guilty of being a pr@t on the road. :dorky:

The version that I read mentioned that several near-misses or minor accidents had occured at the accident site that morning before the ultimate tragedy. I can't imagine why the Police had not closed the road until emergency gritting could be laid down as they would surely have done had there had been, for instance, an oil spill.

Yes, we must all be vigilant, but we need all the help we can get and sometimes I feel that we don't get it.

Ultimately I believe that there should be more traffic police around to deal with the really dangerous situations which the ubiquitous "Safety camera" cannot handle. These are caused variously by road conditions, badly maintained cars and dangerous driving not necessarily related to speed.

The condition of the road surface, particularly on minor and urban roads is absolutely appalling; pot holes are just one example, but the more insidious problem is worn-out, low friction surfaces which become like ice in damp conditions. Tyres and suspensions wear out so much more quickly in the circumstances, which further contributes to the danger.

And despite the reasonably thorough MOT test, there is a huge number of badly maintained vehicles on the road. At least 10% of the vehicles I see on my commute have defective lights_ who has not been caught unawares by a car with no offside headlight looming towards them out of the darkness?

Oh dear. Ranting again.

Best wishes

RB

IMO our nanny society has bred a generation of people who expect to be protected from all manner of harm leaving the individual with no responsibility whatsoever.

... i view that as the continued Americanisation of UK society and the ambulance chaser society.

The driving factor is the claims society and wanting to reap benefits and point the finger of blame at someone else for financial reward. This lead to diminished responsibility and couldn't give a shit attitudes as well unfortunately.

The first step would be to ban all of this ambulance chasing, "..have you had an accident in the last 3 years..." adverts which saturate TV, radio and billboards. Readin about some of these cases that have been won is beyond belief. such as mcdonalds sued for serving hot coffee and hot apple pie cos it burns!!!???? Will we get calor being sued because someone burnt their hand in their heater???

I visited my father in hospital recently and called into the canteen to get a coffee for my father. My daughter wanted to be the loving grandaugther (which she is :) ) and press the button on the coffe dispensing machine so she could say she got grandads coffee. When she ot within 10ft of the machine (I was right beside her BTW) i was acosted by staff as if the machine was some child eating device that children could not come within 20 mile of!!! Under no circumstances could she press the button.

She was with her BLIDDLY FATHER AND WANTED TO PRESS A BUTTON ON A MACHINE!!!!!! - i wasn't allowing her to juggle with scalpel blades!!!!!!

Obviousl parents cease to function once they leave their front door and cannot "parent" their child responsibly.

BTW, the reason for no children not being able to operate the machine was because some gimp had tried to sue them when a child had been sent - by the parent - to get a coffee by themselves - for the lazy fat ar5ed parent - and spilt it and burnt themselves.

We are totally furked up, man :x

I can't imagine why the Police had not closed the road until emergency gritting could be laid down as they would surely have done had there had been, for instance, an oil spill.

Good point, Roger.

Last week, a section of the M9 here was closed during the rush hour whilst resalting took place after a series of relatively minor crashes.

Hundreds, if not thousands of commuters were late for work - far better that, though, than an appalling tragedy like the one in Wales.

PS As it turns out, the M9 was probably not very icy after all. Motorists were probably just driving too close to each other with fog visibilities of 100-150 metres.

Again, lack of experience of these conditions was probably the key. In recent years we do not seem to have had thick fog very often in this part of Scotland. I am of the opinion that it is more common in rural England where flatlands and broad valley floors containing meandering rivers are a feature of the topography.

apparently this 'Claim for Anything' situation we have is coming to an end... after the 7/7 tube bombings and the grief that the victimes of it had trying to get compensation they were quite rightly, imo, due the Government are bringing it all to an end.... people will no longer be able to claim for tripping over loose paving stones etc... i cant remember how they are deciding what deserves payment and what doesnt tho.... whether they will do enough or not is another story too... :roll:

H8RRA said

i view that as the continued Americanisation of UK society

Absolutely right, I believe.

My generation and that of my parents takes the blame, but how did we know how it would turn out. We only wanted better things for our children as did they.

Mostly they succeeded. Myself and my friends grew up in tenements and on Scottish council "schemes" where you were ashamed to say you came from. Now I am proud of that.

Our parents did not own their own houses or a car. Indeed, my mother often tells me that as a child she only got the top of a boiled egg rather than a whole egg.

In the 1940s and 1950s when we in Britain mostly had nowt, much of the American way of life was lusted after, and now, to our cost, in many ways we have got it. Material wealth/spiritual poverty.

Let us hope things can be turned around. We British were once, possibly, the most resourceful nation in the world. First, though, we have to educate the chavs/parasites/religious fanatics, etc that there is a better way.

Any offers, anybody?

The condition of the road surface, particularly on minor and urban roads is absolutely appalling; pot holes are just one example, but the more insidious problem is worn-out, low friction surfaces which become like ice in damp conditions. Tyres and suspensions wear out so much more quickly in the circumstances, which further contributes to the danger.

Yep, exactimundo....

It seems the councils won't accept responsibility for known black spots until a certain amount of people die.....it's almost like the infamous Chrysler (?) equation from the 60s....how much is a human life worth against the cost of repairing the underlying problem? No doubt that corner in Wales will be shell gripped following the recent tragedy....but they should have done it when it first became apparent that bend was hazardous.

Two local examples..... where my parents live, people had to cross a busy carriageway to get into the village. The residents had campaigned for years about an underpass and nothing was done until a group of school children were killed crossing the road. The death toll reached 12 before they actually started work on an underpass.

Another local blackspot....again crossing over a busy carriageway on a low visibility 'S' bend section. Scores of people died before the council did anything about it.

I agree we are ultimately responsible for ourselves but as Roger says, we are entitled to a certain amount of road safety measures....especially as we pay for them and are constantly reminded about the dangers of driving. I also agree that you can't blame the councils if people are driving around with bald tyres and knackered suspension......but those people form a very small minority and the rest of us deserve better roads.

they were not aware there was a problem with the road until it was too late , then they closed it for 24 hrs +

it unreasonable to expect them to close roads because of ice , i imagine all the surrounding roads would be in the same condition so they would need to be closed

i travel that road most days , i still am unsure how the driver skidded , the bend they talk about is a quite a gently curve in the road ?

Roger said

Quote:Good point, Richard.

err, Roger.......

Sorry, Roger. I was thinking of another nice man I know in England called Richard!